Garmin G5 Attitude indicator pirep?

Joe Larussa

I replaced my vacuum attitude indicator with a Sandia 340 Quattro in August. It was completely unreliable, drifting in both pitch and bank, so I sent it back for a replacement. I've got 15 hours and a half dozen flights on the new instrument and it has worked great. The G5 wasn't certified for our aircraft when I puchased the Quattro at the beginning of the summer. 

51 minutes ago, Chris from PA said:

I replaced my vacuum attitude indicator with a Sandia 340 Quattro in August. It was completely unreliable, drifting in both pitch and bank, so I sent it back for a replacement. I've got 15 hours and a half dozen flights on the new instrument and it has worked great. The G5 wasn't certified for our aircraft when I puchased the Quattro at the beginning of the summer. 

So the G5 is certified for our aircraft?

10 hours ago, Joe Larussa said:

Back orders till November!!

Should be finished tomorrow. Rain in the forecasts, so not sure if I'll get to pick it up Friday or Saturday. I looked at it this morning..Not much to it for $2k...Display box, battery, a install backing plate and small wiring harness.

-Tom

Gann Aviation in GA just quoted us $2800 installed for a new G5. That is so low it became attractive compared to repairing a drifting vacuum AI. We reserved the last unit on their shelves but have to wait a few weeks for an install window. Have seen nothing but good things about Gann on this forum.

Will report the result.

On 10/12/2016 at 2:11 PM, Joe Larussa said:

Anybody try the Garmin G5 attitude indicator slash multifunction display? Iv'e had it with my

gyro going belly up!

Mine is going in for install on the 31st.  The big challenge will be getting the FSDO to field approve removal of the unneeded vacuum system components (primary, back up pumps and the tubing)

Shop sent this picture today. Should be flying tomorrow afternoon. Ended up at $2150 +/- installed. The shop cut some slack on pricing because it should have been included in the quote from the get go when we decided to remove the vac system. Oversight on their end so his price reflected a little discount. I have some panel clean up, but will get some good full panel pics up soon.

-Tom

G5.jpg

14 minutes ago, jetdriven said:

Are those flight director bars on that G5?

What you see is what I've seen. They sent me this picture this afternoon. I have yet to see it in person. I know they had some software issues with respect to the standard settings..The shop spent some time on the phone and got whatever they needed corrected and sorted. Not sure exactly what information is being displayed after the follow-up tech calls, but according to the shop all is good and it's ready to be picked-up anytime. Just finishing W/B paperwork etc..  

-Tom

Just now, bradp said:

Is it center stack above the GTN?

Yes it is above the 750.. Only other option was down low above my right knee. The panel space was getting tight with the newly installed equip. It's kind of hard to describe the layout, but it turned out good and very comfortable for my scan.

-Tom

2 hours ago, TWinter said:

Yes it is above the 750.. Only other option was down low above my right knee. The panel space was getting tight with the newly installed equip. It's kind of hard to describe the layout, but it turned out good and very comfortable for my scan.

-Tom

Yeah I think I recall that's where they are putting the standby AI in the new acclaim ultra