Hartford Crash

DXB

Well this is an odd one.  A Jordanian national with an existing PPL flying a Seneca with an MEI on board.  Only the instructor survived and says the student crashed it intentionally.  They went down next to a Pratt & Whitney aircraft engine factory.

http://www.cbsnews.com/news/fbi-investigating-deadly-plane-crash-east-hartford-connecticut-intentional/

Whether it turns out to be terrorism or not, I suspect the story will be divisive and not terribly good for GA.  

Great reporting:

The Hartford Courant reports that the Cessna took off from Hartford’s Brainard Airport on Tuesday with a student pilot and an instructor on board. It struck a utility pole in East Hartford and crashed around 4 p.m., bursting into flames.

The Piper PA 34 twin-engine plane crashed on Main Street in East Hartford at around 3:30 p.m., according to the deputy police chief. Main Street was shut down between Brown Street and Ensign Street. Drivers were being asked to avoid the area, CBS affiliate WFSB reports.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, DXB said:

Well this is an odd one.  A Jordanian national with an existing PPL flying a Seneca with an MEI on board.  Only the instructor survived and says the student crashed it intentionally.  They went down next to a Pratt & Whitney aircraft engine factory.

http://www.cbsnews.com/news/fbi-investigating-deadly-plane-crash-east-hartford-connecticut-intentional/

Whether it turns out to be terrorism or not, I suspect the story will be divisive and not terribly good for GA.  

Ntsb spoke to pilot in command ,a mel CFI and than called in fbi....that sounds like a student pilot bent on Isis inspired suicide!

Can you imagine what it was like in the plane the last minute or so? I'm sure they were fighting the controls, hitting each other, etc. The instructor must have been in an all out panic and fighting for his life. Glad he was able to survive otherwise no on may have ever known the true cause of the crash. What a world we live in....

2 hours ago, thinwing said:

Ntsb spoke to pilot in command ,a mel CFI and than called in fbi....that sounds like a student pilot bent on Isis inspired suicide!

I'm not so sure about that.  ISIS wants bigger, more visible targets (malls, sporting events, schools etc)....this does not fit the bill (even with the proximity to the P&W factory).

Fox News reported that the pilot was disgruntled with his parents for making him take pilot training and fought them about doing so.  I've served overseas with people from the Jordan/Saudi Arabia area and know that parents over there are very heavy handed with the direction their kids go.  Don't think it's terrorism as much as a selfish act of a person trying to get out from under his parents.  Selfish because he almost killed another person in the plane and certainly could have taken out a few on the ground... :angry:

"Flight instructor Arian Prevalla survived the East Hartford crash Tuesday. Student pilot Feras Freitekh died. The official said the flight instructor described the student pilot as disgruntled about learning to be a pilot."

http://www.foxnews.com/us/2016/10/12/fbi-investigating-if-deadly-connecticut-plane-crash-was-intentional.html

Brian

Oh that will scare my poor parent-inlaws.  They are retired and live in Hartford and when my wife and I visit we fly out of KBFD.  In fact just last fall they finally agreed to get into my scary little airplane.

This sounds like a suicide but what do I know.  Thank goodness the CFI survived. It said he was burned - I hope not too severely - burns are horrible.

On October 12, 2016 at 1:55 PM, thinwing said:

Or indirectly....son has been hanging out with the local Mullah who has been preaching Jihad...son comes home demanding parents read the Koran and garb up traditionally.Parents becoming more and more alarmed at there sons attitude ,insist he take pilot lessons to stear him along another path.Son says....okayyyyyyyy

49 minutes ago, M20Doc said:

Maybe he was just leaving ahead of president Trumps edict on Muslims.

Clarence

Clarence, You are Canadian right?  Are you just making fun of us *?!$@&$!!!! folk on your Southern border?

I recommend you build a wall.  I hear they are very popular.

33 minutes ago, Steve65E-NC said:

The media keeps talking about this as suicide.  Hey, the instructor should have died also, so it was at the very least attempted murder.  Why give this nut and terrorist any kind of pass.  Deport any non-citizen associates or relatives, quickly. 

Evidence is clear - I rest my case - I repeat my recommendation to the Canadians.  Build a wall southern wall.  We as a group are suffering an extreme case of nutty.

• Like 3

Evidence is clear - I rest my case - I repeat my recommendation to the Canadians.  Build a wall southern wall.  We as a group are suffering an extreme case of nutty.

If they built that wall, how would we get Trafalgar’s Critical Mass Double Imperial IPA???!!!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
  • Like 1

Unvented? Actually most borders worldwide don't have barriers or walls, and many places have no border checks at all, e.g the Schengen zone.

From the US to Canada, we just cut down a strip of trees so you can tell where the border is. Open and largely unpatrolled.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

4 minutes ago, gsengle said:

Unvented? Actually most borders worldwide don't have barriers or walls, and many places have no border checks at all, e.g the Schengen zone.

From the US to Canada, we just cut down a strip of trees so you can tell where the border is. Open and largely unpatrolled.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

It's a great thing just the way it is.

Clarence

On 10/13/2016 at 11:42 PM, Chupacabra said:

unvented border crossing 

Seems like a few people are just plain venting on this thread.   Pull it back to facts please. 

Also reminds me of a family trip when I was young.  It was foggy and my dad literally drove the station wagon right through the Canadian border crossing.  Canadian police / border agents do carry scary looking weapons.  :-)