Iowa vs Ohio Fly-over

iowaboy

Has anyone heard about the flyover at the football game last week?  The media makes it sound like they were so low that they almost hit the scoreboard!  Give me a freaking break.  I guess there is some contraversy over if they had clearance to do the fly over at 500ft vs 1000ft that they usually do. 

Well, if you saw the video, they were pretty low.  The University is not making the big stink about it, the USAF is the one that is up in arms about one of their pilots not getting clearance to do the flyover at the altitude they did.  AF regs say 1000ft minimum without a waiver.  The lead pilot cannot just make the decision to fly lower.  With him being a Major, he's been around long enough to know better.  The FAA isn't invloved that I'm aware of because DOD has the waiver already in place for flyovers that are lower than the FAR's allow and allows the military to control the flights as they see fit.

The actual game was back on November 20th... Cool  Go Bucks!!!   Sorry Scott... Tongue out

Brian

This is a big NO-NO and those guys will probably pay the price for it. 

A personal friend of mine performed the GA Tech flyover last year and was similarly low.  Upon review, he was fired from his job, formally admonished by a Flag Officer and restricted from flight duty for the rest of his Navy career, i.e., he'll never fly F-18's again.  I would imagine that those Air Force pilots will probably suffer a similar fate...And deservedly so.  This type of conduct is unprofessional and dangerous, not to mention totally illegal under FAR PART 91.119

As an active duty pilot let me be the first to appologize for this blatent disregard for the rules and the spectator's safety.  In time like these, when every tax dollar is precious, it's totatlly unacceptable for pilots, in a military that you pay for, to behave this way.

I've flown over Iowa AND Ohio. Both are pretty flat, but Iowa has windmills to dodge if you're low; southeast Ohio has a few hills.

As far as stadiums go, I can't access youtube here at work, and my dialup connection at home makes it impractical. [it's the only thing available, too.] Any pilot who willingly violates regs can expect to pay the piper sooner or later. Someone may be facing that right now, and it won't be pretty. As has been said many times in the past, the regs are written in blood. The aeronautical regulatory process is REactive rather than PROactive. Personally, I would rather be raked over the coals in someone's office than rake myself across a hilltop, an antenna or a windmill at cruise speed . . .

The low fly-by became a public issue in years prior...(when flying under the gondola wire of a ski resort in Italy, you need to know how tall your tail really is...)  That was enough reason to minimize the danger out of public displays...The pilots of this misfortune not only lost their jobs, but stood trial for the serious results.

Article: Blood on the snow: after a U.S. fighter jet clips a gondola's cable, killing 20, Europe questions America's character. (accident in Cavalese, Italy)(Brief Article)

Article from:
Newsweek
Article date:
February 16, 1998
Author:

Nordland, Rod; Masland, Tom