Shoulder harness install

Loosen the fasteners that hold the skin to the tube.  Start the clamp up the tube near the roof before the bend in the tube. then work it down.

Use a phillps through the holes in the clamps to move it down.

Use a flat ratchet and blue tape to hold the nuts.  Turn the bolt to start the nut.

Use needle nose vise grips to hold the clamp closed while you start the bolt.

I eye balled the plastic to get the hole in the right place.

You have to put the plastic back on before you bolt everything together.

Edited by Yetti
  • Like 1

Yep the pilot side  was  a real bear for me too ....  I installed a kit from LASAR several years ago and If I recall correctly ..... I had to open up the clamp quite a ways and I used shims to get space between skin and structure.  Then I was able to feed clamp around the tubular structure. 

I am not sure but I think LASAR and Alpha use the same attachment clamp and if I recall correctly  the The clamp has MS number on them.

In the LASAR kit  came with a phillips screw installation through the clamp and into the tubular structure  was optional .... So I elected not to install  the screw. My thought was more possible  point of failure and another point where corrosion could start and weakening the structure.

Hope this helps,

James '67C

Edited by jamesm

hence the tape and the flat ratchet. You can bend the plastic out enough to get the wrench in there. next to the window.  You could also use a box end.  The flat ratchet lets you tighten up the last little bit that you should do.

I used the clamps that you need nuts for that came with the AMsafe's I bought, and they are terrible! Any time you need to remove and reinstall the side panel it's a real PIA! I was talking about this with another Mooney driver just the other day when he told me I should get the lasar clamps with the nut welded on, next time I remove the interior I'm going to swap them out.

There's a significant discussion on this elsewhere on MS, may get some hints there.

I know my E has probably heard it all, but I am sure I uttered some novel expletives when I did the pilot side.

If memory serves, a small vice-grip and some tape make the final assembly go easier.

If an AD came up where that fastener needed to be removed and inspected each annual I would sell the plane.