Windshield cleaning....

Hey gentlemen hope everyone is well.

Quik question, in my M20C manual it says to clean the windshield with "kerosene " .Does this actually work because in my mind kerosene is an oil based product wouldn't this make the windshield streaky and tend to attract dirt and dust? Also I can imagine the kerosene  might leave a film. What do the very exp Mooney drivers use to clean their windows ????

I use Plexus in an aerosol can, and wipe it with a 100% cotton washcloth. Use either old cloths from home, or buy plain white ones when they go on sale. I don't use new, colored washcloths, and I'm too cheap to use microfiber on the windows. Microfiber, however, does a great job polishing my chrome spinner.  :)

Edited by Hank
  • Like 3

+1 for Plexus, although I normally go the cheaper route and use Pledge or similar generic-brand furnature polish.  Works just as well on the plexiglass as anything aviation-specific.  Many of us here use the same thing.  I never buff the window with anything other than a very clean microfiber cloth.

• Like 1

+3 for Plexus...used it on the Mooney for 7 years and have continued using it on the Bonanza.  Seeing a pattern here.... :)

http://www.aircraftspruce.com/catalog/cspages/plexus.php?clickkey=3008884

Expensive, but the 13 oz can last an entire year for me.  A little bit goes a long way.

Cheers,

Brian

Pledge!! Does as good a job as any of the acrylic cleaners at a fraction of the cost. I have used all of them and now only use Pledge. Pledge has a long track record as an acrylic cleaner with no harmful effects. Lemon Pledge is my favorite

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Like 1

When my son was born my wife and I decided to use cloth diapers, so we bought a bunch of cloth diapers. It took us about a week to figure out how foolish a decision that was.

Anyway, for the last 24 years I've been using those diapers to clean my windshield, they are the best. When they get dirty you just throw them in washer.

• Like 1

Re pledge I've used it and it works well and does not seem to harm the acrylic.  Down side is that it leaves a film that requires polishing if the ambient temp is a bit low.  

Take bugs and other schmutz off with soap and water.  

Microfiber will make micro scratches. If possible use cotton flannel - you can get it for like 8 bucks a yard at JoAnn fabric and it's the softest most scratch free thing I can find for the widnshield.  

3 hours ago, DrBill said:

+4 for Plexus.  I too use an old cotton cloth. I spray the window, then rub it around with my fingers to loosen bugs etc then polish with the cloth.

Do you wash your hands after that, paying close attention to your fingers, right Bill? ;)

+5 for Plexus

• Like 1

Remember your manual is likely 50 years old.  Much better products now.   I like Plexus.  I also like the Meguiars Plastx.   I have used Pledge in the past but feel like it leaves some residues that may discolor or cause the plastic to go hazy over time.  Make sure to use a soft, clean cloth.  

-1 plexus.

+1 ZEP 19 oz. Foaming Glass Cleaner.

I use it on the entire exterior and interior except on the leather. Cleans plexiglass, removes oil smudges and breaks down organic soils like bugs and fingerprints quickly. Leaves a clean shine!

I find Plexus very expensive at 20$ for a 13 oz. can and nothing particularly special about it!

The ZEP is a 19 oz. can for $2.97 at the local Home Depot.

gallery_7035_13086_1641.jpg

I researched it prior to using it. Called Zep with specific questions about plexiglass. It contains Ethylene Glycol which is innocuous to plexiglass and no ammonia.

They recommend it for acrylic glass and plexiglass. It's specifically stated on the can.

I use water.  Every time I go flying I take a wash mitt and soak it with water (no soap) and put it in a one gallon ziplock.  At the end of the day I use the wash mitt to clean the windows, wings, and tail.  To prevent water spots, I use a dry cloth to wipe the window dry before the water can dry on its own.

12 hours ago, PTK said:

I researched it prior to using it. Called Zep with specific questions about plexiglass. It contains Ethylene Glycol which is innocuous to plexiglass and no ammonia.

They recommend it for acrylic glass and plexiglass. It's specifically stated on the can.

That's not what the MSDS says.

http://www.homedepot.com/catalog/pdfImages/f7/f750fd59-7185-46c6-920e-c2937d942380.pdf

Cleaning Acrylic

The best way to clean acrylic is with a specialty cleaning product such as Novus No.1 or Brillianize.  NEVER use window cleaning fluids with ammonia (such as Windex or Formula 409), gasoline, denatured alcohol, carbon tetrachloride, or acetone, which will cause the acrylic to craze with minute cracks.  A mild solution of soap or detergent and water can also be used safely.

Edited by N201MKTurbo

Been using Plexus for a long time, and after 9 years of ownership I can only remember buying 3 cans. So even at $20 per can it only comes to about $10 per year.....that is if you don't count the time and fuel flying to Spotys to buy it in person :D

Probably doesn't matter which one of the options listed above, as long as it is compatible with plexiglass. However, I always wipe the surface back and forth from bottom to top to prevent swirling in the inevitable fine scratches that may develop over time. 

• Like 1