IPAD and Garmin Glo

Eraaen

I've been using the IPAD Mini and Garmin Glo with Foreflight for approx two years with out a speck of trouble.  Other than I could not keep the Glow in the rubber non-slip thingy on the dash.. it overheated.  But, it works great with Velcro on the dash

Anyway, this weekend. It fired up just fine.. but approx 10-15 min in, the Geo Reference stopped working.  IPAD still showed connected to the glow via blue tooth.  If I shut down the Glo and fired it back up it would connect (show data) for another 10 min and then stop again.  The only thing I can think of is the last release of the OS system on the Mini.??  Both the IPAD and the Glo are wired for power and I was having the same problem with it unplugged (the battery was fine)

I've verified both IPAD and Foreflight are the latest versions.  I turned off of all location services in settings on the IPAD and it's only on for Foreflight (it's dedicated purpose anyway)  I Shut down and restarted the IPAD.  Not seeing any issues on Foreflights web page.  Not sure if it's even possible to update the Garmin?? Possible?

I've done a search in Mooneyspace and didn't see any threads recently.

Anyone else having issues? or solutions?

I have a couple flights late this week.

Update.. Had a trip this Fri/Sat.  Same problem.. So I don't think it was an issue with the IPAD.. Thanks Carusoam.  I hit up the Garmin Web Site looking for contact info for Trek.  It took a while ( I can't tell you HOW I found it. )  But Garmin has a WebUpdater.  I figured out how to upgrade the Firmware for the Glo to the latest version.  I was quite a few versions behind.  Looks like connectivity was one of the issues.  We will see.

Just an FYI for anyone else who may be using the IPAD/Glo set up.  I can't be the only one.

• Like 1

Erick,

I considered getting the Garmin Glo a while ago since it used both the US GPS system as well as the reliable Russian GLONASS system but I couldn't figure out the benefit of having such a device. My iPad, with its built in GPS receiver seems to work pretty well on its own even for geo referenced approach plates. If fact, I do believe iPads and iPhones are capable of receiving GLONASS signals as well. Can you describe any advantages you see by using the Glo? 

Edited by NotarPilot

I had been using the big IPad on a pedistal of our Saratoga for a while, but it was quite cumbersome in the cockpit of the Mooney. It had the built in GPS.  I had a couple of occasions when the big one overheated on a yolk mount in the Mooney when it was sitting in the sun.  There were a couple of times (not really of any concern that the GPS seemed "slow" or a little behind)

I decided to purchase the Mini just for the size.  Figured I didn't need the biggest RAM version and had read about the GLONASS system.  Seemed like a great idea.  So I went for the cheapest version of the Mini there was and it didn't include GPS. I used the diff in price to justify the Garmin.  Appeared to be a more accurate/stable way to go.  I really don't have any data to back that up.  I haven't had any overheating issues with the Mini.  The Glo did not work on the dash, it overheated in the sun.  I velcrod it to a flat portion on the dash and up until this last week I had not had problems with signal.

I'm not sure about Apple products using GLONASS.  I know the data capable units, when in range, also utilize cell towers to assist with the accuracy of GPS. 

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...
33 minutes ago, Hyett6420 said:

.... I didn't use the gps in the iPad as it isn't accurate enough for me. If you don't believe me use google maps on your iPad and walk around your neighbourhood and see where it puts you. Then connect tot the glo and do the same.  It shows you EXACTLY to the metre where you are.  

Some caveats to extrapolation of your walk-around tests to airborne:

When you are walking around at ground level in an urban RF multipath environment accuracy is degraded versus aloft where the GPS has an unobstructed horizon view and far better performance.

Operating in North American airspace we have additional GPS sources on geo-stationary satellites providing WAAS correction data. 

Yes, a dual-mode GPS/GLONASS navigation receiver provides better accuracy and availability when walking or driving around in a city.  There are simply more satellites in view for the receiver to select among for lowest geometric dilution of precision (GDOP) solutions.

True that a dual mode receiver may offer a backup if either GPS or GLONASS signals are shut down or jammed.

Not true that GLONASS civilian signals are more accurate than GPS, however, even before WAAS corrections.  The two systems are comparable - both offer sub 10 meters average accuracy to civilian users.  Within WAAS enhancement area GPS outperforms uncorrected GLONASS.

EGNOS system similar to WAAS became available for Europe and Africa as of ~4 years ago but few receivers appear to be using it yet.  

Eventually (perhaps) the long-planned European Galileo satnav constellation will be launched and we will have a third global navigation source, possibility one more accurate than either civilian GPS or GLONASS.

On 10/10/2016 at 6:37 AM, Eraaen said:

I'm not sure about Apple products using GLONASS.  I know the data capable units, when in range, also utilize cell towers to assist with the accuracy of GPS. 

I just copied this from Apple's own spec page for the iPad Pro...

All models

• Digital compass
  • Wi‑Fi
  • iBeacon microlocation

Wi-Fi + Cellular models

• Assisted GPS and GLONASS
  • Cellular

Stating for clarity...

The iHardware that adds cellular hardware comes with the GPS hardware.  No cellular service required.

The internal GPS is pretty convenient and has two issues that I run into...

1) small accuracy challenge when measuring T/O and landing distances...

2) putting it low out of the sun, can lose the GPS signal.

Best regards,

-a-