Trim Switch

kelty

Hi all.  My trim switch just stopped working.  It will still trim nose down and disconnect the Century IIIb, but it wont trim nose up anymore.  Thats why im thinking its the switch that has gone bad.  I pulled the switch out and it looks fine, and used some contact cleaner before reinstalling it, but no luck.  Not the greatest picture of the switch, but does anyone know the part number, couldn't find it, and where to get one.

Thanks

Kelty

201EU Panel 1.jpeg

The paddle of the trim switch is a cam that activates and deactivate the switches. In my case I found the cam to be worn out. I added a drop of fiberglass resin and sanded it to shape. It has worked very well for the last 4 years. This is a delicate job that requires a magnifying glass lamp and jewelers tools.

José 

• 2 months later...

I have the same problem with mine.  I thought it might be the relay but replacing it did not fix the problem.  I suspect a new switch from Century costs a small fortune.  Anyone have alternate idea than the fiberglass resin trick?  Spruce has a similar trim switch for $250 (http://www.aircraftspruce.com/catalog/elpages/trimSwitches2.php?clickkey=5126), Anyone have experience with this switch?  It looks so similar I'm tempted to try it but I have not found a wiring diagram for the system - anyone have access to the diagram?

Thanks

231MJ

• 3 years later...

I don't think the Aircraft Spruce switch will work.  The Mooney switch also has a circuit that engages the clutch in the pitch trim servo.  Activating the switch includes running the servo motor in a particular direction and engages the clutch to the drive sprocket.  I am sure they are VERY pricey.

I have what I believe to be the same/similar switch from my K. I think it's a mooney switch. Needed to replace with garmin switch with the new auto pilot. It worked fine when removed. Unfortunately I wouldnt be able to get you a part number or sell it to you for at least a couple weeks next time I go to the shop when its done. But you can keep it in mind.  I'd sell for a very reasonable price. 

I had this issue for about a year in my 20J and my mechanic was losing his last hair trying to figure it out. Switch worked intermittently. Sometimes, it worked only to bring the nose down, but not up, sometimes, it would not activate at all. The reason was the pinched cable in the area of glareshield. One of our brothers in Mooneyhood already mentioned that in his post earlier