Ipad to Nexus

I've been trying out Garmin Pilot to replace Foreflight as my efb. I like the database concierge (looking at Flightstream 510)  and I doubt Firelight will ever have that function. I also have Garmin GTN in the cockpit so the interface is familiar. I currently use an iPad air but would like something smaller so the question is has anyone gone from the iPad to the Nexus (or other Android) device? Do you have any advice or comparisons you can offer. Has anyone seen Garmin Pilot run on both platforms? 

I switched from a Nexus 7 to an iPad Mini 2. The Android version of Garmin pilot lacked a lot of features (I haven't checked in about a year), but I didn't have terrain, weather etc.. There have been a lot of upgrades to Pilot since then and I am not sure if the Android versions have kept up.

I went from a Nexus to a Ipad Mini about 1-1/2 years ago.  Back then, there was no comparison.  The IOS app had a lot more features and was way less buggy.  The Ipad mini was much less buggy than to Nexus too.  I currently have Garmin Pilot on my Nexus phone and Ipad mini.  When I compare the android version (on my Nexus Phone) to the IOS version on my buddy's Iphone 6+ it's is night and day also.  After being an android user since the very beginning, my next phone will be an Iphone.  Garmin Pilot is about 50% of desicion to jump ship.  My dissatisfaction with Google in the last year is the other 50%. 

I run all PCs and Android devices, as that's my preference.

I started using Garmin Pilot 2-3 years ago. Within 6 months I had an iPad. The reason is a tie between the better performance/reliability on iPad and the fact the Android development for Garmin Pilot was lagging by a year.

I keep Garmin Pilot on my Android phone and the important things are caught up, but the iOS platform still seems to be their focus. No point in running against the grain.

I've been running Droid EFB on my Android tablet and phone. I use it on my long cross country for my pilot training and really liked it. I had tried the Fltplan app just playing around but it wasn't as friendly. Droid EFB has a month free to try it out if you want to see what it's like.

It seems to work on my Surface 3 as well running through Bluestacks but the Samsung has really long battery life and is smaller and lighter than the Surface.

Edited by Skates97

thats kind of what i thought, I have an android phone so I thought it would be nice to have a backup but the iPad version of the programs and the amount of apps far outweighs the backup

As Siriam, Dan & others have mentioned above, there been a lot of improvements to the Droid version of Garmin Pilot. I ran a Nexus 7 and the iPad version at the same time and the Droid was always behind the features of the iOS version. I was told that there were two development teams that managed the versions and they literally did not work together.

I have a Samsung S6 that I use for the backup to my two iPads running GP. I have FltPln Go on the Samsung. It is fine for a true emergency backup. Has the maps, charts and everything else needed, just not as pretty. And the best part, it's FREE.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I run Garmin Pilot on a Nexus 7.  Only one bug in the program...wind barb altitude selection.  The slider doesn't work at all...so all I get is winds at FL420 which isn't too helpful.  I do have terrain but no ADS-B wx yet since I don't have an appropriate receiver.  Can't compare it to the iPad but my Nexus was only like $150 new...(as a "refurbished" unit...but it was totally new)

Edited by carqwik