There's a storm a comin' (Hurricane Matthew)

FloridaMan

That is why at KFXE they added locking pins to the hangar doors. The pins are attached to the doors and get inserted into the ground when the door is closed. This keeps the door from moving sideways and jumping the tracks.
José

I just got a call from my FBO, they are bolting down the hangars, mine are bifold doors.

Too late for me. We have a Northeaster now ahead of the storm (Jacksonville FL) and the weather is really bad. Went to the Hagar this afternoon with some 2x4's to try to brace the hangar doors a little better. I hope it is enough. Got to take care of the house in the morning.

• Like 1

And just to show you the effect of a Hurricane, it is gently blowing a gale,here in London today as a knock on effect from Matthew.  This is normal in Hurricane season as the air is sucked in down there, "the other air" has to go somewhere and boy does it.  

Hope all your babies and houses are safe.  

Well Andrew as you know, I have some doubts about weather forecasts in England. When I came over I was told it was going to rain and be cool. He was hot and dry!

Wait a second, maybe these are the same forecasters who forecast the weather here?!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
  • Like 2

On ‎10‎/‎6‎/‎2016 at 0:55 AM, Hector said:

Too late for me. We have a Northeaster now ahead of the storm (Jacksonville FL) and the weather is really bad. Went to the Hagar this afternoon with some 2x4's to try to brace the hangar doors a little better. I hope it is enough. Got to take care of the house in the morning.

How did you fit 2x4s in your Mustang? :lol:

On October 6, 2016 at 0:55 AM, Hector said:

Hector, how did your plane fare the storm? Hope all is well.

Hector, how did your plane fare the storm? Hope all is well.

Not bad. Got lucky! Mine did ok with some minor damage to an aluminum panel on the roof but nothing got inside the hangar and the plane is fine. Others did not do so well.
97e15c900a8324ff7c9a59392f659f86.jpgc090bcf32eb60744ae589fe71a599d79.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

1 hour ago, Hector said:

Not bad. Got lucky! Mine did ok with some minor damage to an aluminum panel on the roof but nothing got inside the hangar and the plane is fine. Others did not do so well.
97e15c900a8324ff7c9a59392f659f86.jpgc090bcf32eb60744ae589fe71a599d79.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

It appears those hangars were not housing any aircraft. Maybe the owners flew them out of harm's way. I hope the Jaguar XKR is ok. Glad your Mooney survived.

That was my first thought when I saw the picture... why would anyone build a hangar out of 2x4s in an area that has all those blue hurricane evacuation route signs on every major highway and gets T storms 12/12 months per year 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, bradp said:

That was my first thought when I saw the picture... why would anyone build a hangar out of 2x4s in an area that has all those blue hurricane evacuation route signs on every major highway and gets T storms 12/12 months per year 

Why would anybody buy a mobile home and park it in Florida? People do. It's all about money and sometimes the lack of it.

That particular row of hangars is very old and perhaps the code was different then. To make things worse they are tall hangars so even more susceptible to wind force. My Mooney is in three rows of T-hangars that are all metal construction and not tall at all. Their metal construction and low profile served them well. They all did very well with very little damage.

• Like 1

I hope Mimi is doing alright! Edenton looks like it's getting a pounding this evening. All over Eastern NC is drowning. My mother-in-law in Fayetteville has over 9" of rain today,and had 10" just a week ago. All of this is running downstream toward the coast, which is getting 10-15" of their own rain, plus what the rivers bring in, plus high tide, plus the storm surge of 6-8 feet.

That's the way Texas loses Oak trees.   Soaking rains before the storm.   lots of rain and high winds during the storm.  Get the chain saw with a couple of blades out.  

Growing up running to the coast to save the boats and such was just a part of life.   I have several stashes of tools ready to go based type of event.

The last storm shows just how under prepared people are at taking care of themselves.  We went to the store and the only thing left was un prepared food.   We bought it and came up with the now famous "hurricane Pasta" If the supply chain stops, I am pretty sure the majority of the population will be hungry within 36 hours.

The last big storm, I cut so many trees that I had to have help lifting the chain saw back into the car.

On October 9, 2016 at 6:54 AM, air cooled dad said:

My coworkers report lots of planes flipped over in Nassau.  Controllers have to write clearances on paper.  Computers are out. Big puddles everywhere.  Slow going in the Bahamas...

Yeah, I imagine some vacationers waited too long and got stuck. Now their planes are upside down.