When can I get this?

This looks good -

http://www.npr.org/sections/alltechconsidered/2016/10/03/496393787/air-traffic-controllers-and-pilots-can-now-communicate-electronically

So its part of nextgen.  When can I receive this? 

I always thought the baude-rate and accuracy of digital data such as radio frequencies and navigation orders over human voice channel is horribly archaic. 

CPDL and ADS-C are components o FANS that are quite mature technologies.  We are just limited by the resource$ to equip our aircraft.  GenAv is behind in implementation.

Aircraft that are so equipped recieve clearances digitally that can be accepted and go directly into the aircraft's flight management system.  Chances of mistakes greatly reduced.

It's just the intermediate step to the pilotless aircraft.  Soon you'll be sending you Mooney out by itself and controlling it on your iPhone from your living room.  Enjoy!

Standby for the next iteration.

With all the screens pictured in the tower.... they are still using the physical sliding stack for each flight they are handling.  I think I learned programming some basic 'bubble sort' strategies in 1983.

Drivers aren't catching up with realtime weather info either are they?

Thunder storms and icing cause enough accidents on the ground.  It would be great to know if the salt truck is ahead or behind you... :)

Thinking out loud,

-a-