Mooney Summit V Topics

mike_elliott

In starting the planning (yep it is already happening, because that is how it gets done) What topics would be of interest and who would be a subject matter expert willing to donate their time to present their passion?

Kevin Paul and Elizabeth Briclow emailed me an excellent suggestions this morning Engine out emergencies and the psychology of pilots.

• Like 2

Maybe George could send the presentation on Common Pilot Mistakes and How to Avoid Them? (or something like that). It would be interesting, educational, beneficial, and give him a chance to stretch the Eagle's legs, and I think it would fit the profile of "bettering the breed," too.

• Like 1

I'm planning on attending the next summit. I'm am air traffic controller in Canada, perhaps I could give a presentation on a few of the rule differences between Canada and the US if that would interest anyone?

• Like 7

18 minutes ago, ohdub said:

I'm planning on attending the next summit. I'm am air traffic controller in Canada, perhaps I could give a presentation on a few of the rule differences between Canada and the US if that would interest anyone?

Include the requirements for N-registered planes to cross the border--required equipment, paperwork, radio permits, which ELT, etc. that would help some who want to visit.

• Like 2

Maybe George could send the presentation on Common Pilot Mistakes and How to Avoid Them? (or something like that). It would be interesting, educational, beneficial, and give him a chance to stretch the Eagle's legs, and I think it would fit the profile of "bettering the breed," too.

We can probably get George or Bruce to present next year. George and I will discuss as soon as we firm up the dates, hopefully we won't conflict with AOPA next year like it did this year.
  • Like 2

44 minutes ago, 1964-M20E said:

Mike

If the attendees are agreeable put their MS handle on the name tags as well.  It would make putting a face with the make easier.

We are going to have a user "field" on next years registration form. You put what you want. IE Mooney Space name, Caravan Call sign, wife's pet name, etc. While a good number of the attendee's were/are Mooneyspace members, a larger number are not.

In the third pic, on is "Mars" the other is "Deb" You chose...

Mike "Cementhead" Elliott

IMG_6527.JPG

IMG_6575.JPG

IMG_6536.JPG

• Like 3

2 hours ago, Hyett6420 said:

Great idea.  I am perfectly happy to do the presentation as well if you like as I do do a tad of overwater flying and race sailing yachts off shore. 

Andrew, Thank you so much for your extreme generosity and for coming all this way. It was a real pleasure to meet you. I am honored. Can I make you our European point person for the Bill Gilliland foundation? I am sure I can run you presenting next year up the flag pole and not have any resistance on an overwater flying seminar. Seth and Andrew Stagg will be more and more involved in next year, strategically and tactically. More on this later!

• Like 1

16 hours ago, neilpilot said:
37 minutes ago, Hyett6420 said:

Mike.  Of course you can have me as the European point man.  Just don't mention Brexit!  You don't have to thank me, I have to thank you, it was a delight meeting you  

Andrew

I promise no talk of Brexit. Cannot say the same about Italeave, however. Lets encourage the safety culture on your side of the pond, and if we have a Mooney family tragedy, get in touch with Alice and find out contact info. Thanks for your kindness, Andrew.

• Like 1

Mike, while some of these suggestions are "worthy subjects", we have many non-Mooney sources (i.e. AOPA, Wings, etc.) easily available.

I do not want the Summit to devolve into a general aviation seminar.  My preference is to keep the Summit Mooney-specific.  Mooney maintenance, Mooney flight characteristics, Mooney mods, Mooney factory updates, etc.  If it is not specific to Mooneys, the Summit is not worth the time and travel.  I can stay home and find general aviation stuff on the web.  

ATC/instrument procedures, customs procedures, etc might be great "sideshows" for those interested, but let's keep the emphasis on information that is Mooney specific.

My $0.02.

• Like 2

Gus, It is our goal "to better the breed" of the Mooney pilot and owner, so keeping Mooney specific topics are a high priority of course. The challenge comes in finding SME's who can divulge Mooney Specific expertise with a passion who are willing to volunteer this for us. We also recognize that there are area's that are generic to our need of improved safety and stewardship that fulfill the "better the breed" mission. We are fortunate we have Bruce Landsberg, George Perry, and Max Gurgew, etc  willing to donate their time and expertise to us.

We, as a Mooney Community, have need for  learning ATC's side of the system, so the challenge is how can that be done with a Mooney specific tone?

Hypoxia. This is one of my pet target training areas, based on at least 2 knows deaths of Mooney pilots since starting the Mooney Summit. Any experts like Major Mari Metzler on the subject out there that can make this insidious killer Mooney specific in a presentation for an upcoming Summit?

How can we make a seminar on "aviation law" and weather Mooney specific, or would we be best to just avoid these? Now the challenge becomes harvesting fresh subjects that are Mooney specific, and why this thread was started :) 

• Like 3

On 10/5/2016 at 10:48 AM, Mooneymite said:

If it is not specific to Mooneys, the Summit is not worth the time and travel. 

The Catholic church teaches to give your "Time, Talent, or Treasure" and many, many people provided all three of these things for only the cost of your travel and accommodations to attend, in fact an actual structure that can provide a tax benefit and make it an entirely "free" trip.

Therefore I take offense to a perceived slight to the amount of effort I know has been personally involved in the organization of this event.

Keep up the good work Mike.

• Like 2