Santa Monica

Strange happenings this week. The LA basin has a new Airspance plan coming early next year. (LA mextroplex)In it were 2 really nice straight in approaches to 21 and for the first time 03. Both approaches were LPV with mins near 400 ft. We all saw these approaches this summer when the metroplex plan was out for comment to the public. No negative comments were posted for the SMO approaches. The latest plan that was approved this past month had all the LPV approaches removed from the plan. This was a high ranking FAA decision that has little to do with The the city. The FAA is favoring politics over safety.

Currently the approach mins are 1120' on a messed up dog leg VOR A approach. This approach is dangerous because the marine layer is always at 900ft. Operators routinely cancel IFR on the approach and sneak below 1120'. Oh and by the way. No Night approaches as of 9/14/16. This is getting to be unsafe. Now an operator needs to factor not only the marine layer, but a drop dead departure time, or make plans to arrive at lax/VNY. 

I had thought the battle was with the City all along. The FAA's recent decision to pull the approaches makes me question their position. 

-Matt

• Like 2

On October 20, 2016 at 8:01 AM, DaV8or said:

Great. I'm sure that will be some very fine, competitively priced services. <_<

Yeah...sorry to see Typhoon closing...always enjoyed meals there and post flight cocktail before checking into expensive hotels by the Beach...the city council has the local populace totally buffaloed into closing the airport...building a park...low income housing ...protect our children from noise and pollution...I think that this issue is important enough to draw a line in the sand...say 20 buck donation to SMO airport assoc to help legal costs

Typhoon closed today ,Election Day...got an Email from some guy from Santa Monica city gov...He says Typhoon closing not his fault...says he tried to negotiate long term lease in good faith !Typhoon website says they can't do business anymore with city tripling their lease,creating a toxic business environment ,they are tired after 25 years of this...city guy says in email ,typhoon closing because they couldn't sell the restaurant (duh..wonder why?!)city guy says ,and I quote "it's more than dishonest and cowardly to blame the city for its closing"...I have to disagree...what do you guys think?....cowardly huh...

Oops ( last post)I googled sender of that email....it was from Kevin McKeown  ,Member of Santa Monica City Council for 5 terms.His city blurb explains he has been a Santa Monica Renter for 40 years ,his focus is affordable housing and sustainability .I wonder if he is up for reelection?