Will Samurai Husky buy an airplane?

Andy95W

On October 3, 2016 at 10:36 AM, thinwing said:

I am guessing the two Cirrus at Kpao are on leaseback to the club and the owners are in for a shock when they realize the final condition of their aircraft after the lease runs out!

Wow I quote myself...the thing with leasebacks is this...the club charges its members say 180 hrs wet for a once nice Sr-20.The real owner gets 70% maybe I am guessing here,minus fuel cost AND minus all the fine maintaince the poor bird got while in clubs hands.Things like oil change and filter....deduct 800 bucks!Annual /100 hour inspection...deduct the cost of nice car!Meanwhile...some of the renters took the bird to burning man during 30 kt alkaline windstorm and did not inform the club.Shortly after,strange electrical gremlins occur resulting in ....you guess it....many billable hours against the owners account!So the poor owner gets the sept statement ,stating 79 hrs for the month ....180 x79 =14220....for the month....woo hoo says the hapless owner when he gets final check from club for 127.95 after expenses!Sorry they say!It will be much better next month..you will see!Oh we forgot to tell you...One of are students can't pass his check ride due to ........repair costs 12887.....could you send us a check per our leaseback agreement!

6 hours ago, Raptor05121 said:

Samurai, did you pass your checkride? I try to keep on top of the forums but your thread has turned into a chat room :D

Read Samurai posts here,,,,,

man for what ever reason the forums dont say when there has been a reply.

So as far as the puppies; When i flew from AZ to CA the only time it was nice to go high was when we had clearance to go through all of the restricted area's at or above 10k; So we were able to pop up to 12500 and cut the corner there at palmdale. Probably saved at least 30 minutes or more. 

Outside of that, any time we got up to 10k we would then find a hole in the clouds and get below them, especially if it was around noon and we knew the clouds would keep climbing. 

So while i think O2 would be good for trips by myself, i dont see the dogs getting above 10k unless its on the way to AZ and even then, for a very short amount of time.

I would like to get up to FL's if i am flying far and by myself, for that i want to look into o2d2 and the .... i forgot what its called... its a arm that comes off your head set and has nostral plugs on it.... I have to do some googling and write some of this stuff down.....

Im also looking at ground transportation. There are a few folding elctric bikes out there that look really interesting. http://www.hi-powercycles.com/hpc-recon-2000w-folding-mountain-bike/ this one for instance has the ability to get up to 50 with a 30mi range at under 70lbs. Obviously this wouldnt be for the doggies,  but if i am out getting a $100 burger or get stuck somewhere on a long distance flight, i now have a option. 

That F looked really interesting. I was shocked by the payload... is that right? 750lb payload with full fuel? 

For the lease back. Yea, If i had a plane i would put a 'no trainer' tag on it. I really feel sorry for these guys because there is no way they are going to get the money they are asking with the condition they are in. In general i would put my plane on the line with a crazy rent rate only so i can take the tax deduction and depreciation on it. This way its too much to get rented, and i still get the write off. 

• Like 1

Expect that the F has 52 gallons usable.... and UL under 1100 Lbs.

The fuel tanks are pretty generous as are the extra seats.  But realistically, it is hard to fly for five hours with four people aboard.

WTI was on the rise all day.  Go look at the expensive end of Js... :)

Best regards,

-a-

I thought the Fs all had 64 gal standard, unless someone extended the tanks. My C, and Es too, have 52 gal tanks; my full fuel payload is 670 pounds, so 750 lb plus 12 gals (750 + 64*6 = 1134 lb, quite respectable). Just realize that flown LOP, this will take you almost 7 hours at 150-155 knots. Quite respectable.

• Like 1

Picking up a 70 lb electric bike and manhandling it in (and out!) of the baggage door, or onto the wing then backwards through the door into the back seat, is something that I don't want to even think about, much less try . . .

its fold-able. i would hope that it fits through the door! Click the link, its folds down to the size of the 20" tire. So 20x20"? 70lbs is with the ginormous battery. Im sure that number could go down. Im almost tempted to fly down there an talk with the guys because they sound like they will customize something for you.

Just an idea, Its not cheap, but if you upgrade it, it will do 50mph :P

But to get to a burger joint or a rental place i think it will work. Its light enough to get 2 in the back, so that was the intriguing factor. I looked at a lot of mini motorcycles and what not, but they arnt street legal. This solves that. 

8 hours ago, Samurai Husky said:

man for what ever reason the forums dont say when there has been a reply.

So as far as the puppies; When i flew from AZ to CA the only time it was nice to go high was when we had clearance to go through all of the restricted area's at or above 10k; So we were able to pop up to 12500 and cut the corner there at palmdale. Probably saved at least 30 minutes or more. 

Outside of that, any time we got up to 10k we would then find a hole in the clouds and get below them, especially if it was around noon and we knew the clouds would keep climbing. 

So while i think O2 would be good for trips by myself, i dont see the dogs getting above 10k unless its on the way to AZ and even then, for a very short amount of time.

I would like to get up to FL's if i am flying far and by myself, for that i want to look into o2d2 and the .... i forgot what its called... its a arm that comes off your head set and has nostral plugs on it.... I have to do some googling and write some of this stuff down.....

Im also looking at ground transportation. There are a few folding elctric bikes out there that look really interesting. http://www.hi-powercycles.com/hpc-recon-2000w-folding-mountain-bike/ this one for instance has the ability to get up to 50 with a 30mi range at under 70lbs. Obviously this wouldnt be for the doggies,  but if i am out getting a $100 burger or get stuck somewhere on a long distance flight, i now have a option. 

That F looked really interesting. I was shocked by the payload... is that right? 750lb payload with full fuel? 

For the lease back. Yea, If i had a plane i would put a 'no trainer' tag on it. I really feel sorry for these guys because there is no way they are going to get the money they are asking with the condition they are in. In general i would put my plane on the line with a crazy rent rate only so i can take the tax deduction and depreciation on it. This way its too much to get rented, and i still get the write off. 

Be careful by putting it for rent when rentability becomes or has the look of a sham,your tax benefits would become suspect. Watch out our planes are on the hit list. 

no; that just happen to be the town we got diverted to when we ran into a line of thunderstorms on the ferry flight. 

All i know about the town is that it has a class D, American Air stores a lot of planes there, it has 100k people and no uber.... Oh and they are known for sheep. 

• Like 1

• 4 months later...

Skates convinced my to do an update post. I have been avoiding it because i didnt want to disappoint every one. So to rip the band-aid off, i ended up in a Cirrus. Yes the plastic plane that every one is convinced can only be landed by pulling the red handle. I do assure you, the plane is reusable more then the 1 time :P

There were a few deciding factors.

1. I didnt really feel comfortable with my skill level here in the bay area to handle a complex plane, the radio and possibly IFR conditions. I think that will change over time. 

2. A lot of the flying i do or have done takes me over some mountainous terrain. The idea of having a plan B did help make the decision. 

3. I tried shoving my huskies into the back seat of a Acclaim and they wanted nothing to do with it. The cirrus the seats come out in about 4 minutes, its just a few pins and Velcro and i am able to shove them through the baggage door. 

4. Finding insurance was hard. I was quoted a astronomical amount until i met certain criteria. 

5. I had already learned in Cirrus and so was more comfortable transitioning into one. Flying with friends and what not became no big deal because i knew how the plane would perform. Also selling them on going was easier when i explained the plane has a parachute and showed them the videos. 

6. I got a really good deal on the plane and there were no competing Mooneys for the price point/feature sets available. The timing was just right, i needed to buy a plane before the end of the year so that i could offset the sales tax against a large gain i had this year; Otherwise i would have ended up in the 44% tax bracket. 

Right now i needed the UL, the plane i have has a 992lbs UL, which goes up to 1048 with the seats out. With a full tank of gas (94g) 2 huskies and a back area full of presents and sleeping gear, i used every bit of that UL (and probably a bit more) at xmas. At 14g/h i made the trip in about 3:20 with a 10-15knt head wind. It takes exactly 60gal which i know isnt great, but its not terrible either. I would have liked to take it up higher, but with the pups in the back i limited my self to 10500. They did fine, didnt even fall a sleep. 

Right now, I am deep into my IFR training; I already passed the knowledge test, racked up all my XC time and am getting pretty close to my hood time. In general i think there are about 8 more flights left before i tackle the check ride prep. I actually ended up with a new CFI, my old one was  just not available enough; This one is much more flexible and encourages flights into IMC (which here in the bay area we have been seeing plenty of); A week ago we landed at KSAC with 1 1/4m vis, heavy rain, ovc 700, 30knt winds (though down the runway) and at night; a pretty good test of what real IFR looks like. 

In general I find IFR pretty rewarding; I am forced to hand fly most of the missions, one of which went on for 6 hours :/ When I am allowed to use the autopilot, the R9 system is crazy awesome. Oh you want to hold on the R-238 left turns, 1 min of ECI... click, click... done, it even chooses the best entry method. The plane also had synviz which was never installed, i just had the avionics sent out to have it updated to support it. So far, its a novelty, even during IFR training i find my self turning it off, but the upgrade fixed a AD and basically quadrupled the speed of the system, so no complaints. I also ended up getting a ipad with foreflight on it. I wish i had actually done that sooner because i ended paying for the charts for the Avidynes and i find using the charts on a ipad much easier. I thought i needed the charts for the plane to use the auto pilot and fly IFR routs, but i was wrong, its literally just pictures. 

I'm looking forward to wrapping up IFR so that i can venture down to AZ for spring training some weekend pretty soon.

I plan on revisiting my mission criteria in about 5 years and see where i end up. 

20161023_141629.jpg

20160924_133227.jpg

20161228_125706.jpg

• Like 8

9 minutes ago, Samurai Husky said:

I'm looking forward to wrapping up IFR so that i can venture down to AZ for spring training some weekend pretty soon.

Let me know if/when you're going. I have a bunch of family in AZ, we love the Angel's (tough season last year) and my wife has been wanting to go see a Spring Training game for years. With the Mooney it's a 2 hr flight for me +/- depending on winds. Maybe we can meet up and take in a game together.

12 minutes ago, Skates97 said:

Let me know if/when you're going. I have a bunch of family in AZ, we love the Angel's (tough season last year) and my wife has been wanting to go see a Spring Training game for years. With the Mooney it's a 2 hr flight for me +/- depending on winds. Maybe we can meet up and take in a game together.

Do the angels play the cubbies? If so then that would the game to target :)

Just now, Samurai Husky said:

Do the angels play the cubbies? If so then that would the game to target :)

• Tuesday - Feb 28th
  • Monday - March 6th

The March 6th would be my best chance to make it. Then I only need one day off work. (Dang, it's cheaper to see them in the regular season at home than Spring Training)

2 minutes ago, Skates97 said:
  • Tuesday - Feb 28th
  • Monday - March 6th

The March 6th would be my best chance to make it. Then I only need one day off work. (Dang, it's cheaper to see them in the regular season at home than Spring Training)

Yea, i was told that the best thing to do is get there way early and get the grass seats from the box office. The box office is face value no tax. If you get them online there is about $10 per seat in taxes and fees.. If its at the cubs stadium you can get covered seating under the beer sign or something like that. 

Feb is out; Maybe march, but that might be pushing it too since i want to get IFR done first. I'll let you know the closer we get. 

Edited by Samurai Husky