I slip avionics vs Ventura avionics

Homefree

Hi all,

I'm new to the family, I just bought a 74 m20f that is stock.  Like any bird of this vintage, you have to do some work. I'm trying hard not to get carried away. My transponder is not working. Do I fix it, or replace it for the 2020 compliance, or replace it and add a few other things and if so what items should I upgrade. I'm torn between getting it done economically vs getting a bunch of things  done while the panel is open. Labor will probably cheaper if they don't take the panel apart every year .

part 2

Does anybody have experience with Islip Avionics or Ventura Avionics? I will probably choose one of these due to location

quality of work?

customer service?

turnaround time?

price?

thanks in advance for your input

Homefree

A number of us have our Mooneys worked on at Islip Avionics. They do excellent work and I find them to be reasonable both in cost and turnaround time. Told him Greg with the green Mooney Ovation sent you!

Most recently had them put in a L3 lynx transponder and new engine monitor.

459af8321f6fa71ccf63ae5baa765286.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Gsxr pilot

I think it is a Narco. It seems to be malfunctioning because when coming into Kfrg the tower told us they were not picking us up. Several indents were tried by myself and a cfi. It didn't matter. 

Gsengal

that is beautiful. But I don't think I can afford such an investment at this time. I'm leaning towards Islip but Ventura is at my airport and is logistically simpler. There are not many reviews that I can find on either company. Did you build that panel one instrument at a time or many at a time?

thanks

homefree

Welcome aboard, Homefree...

I have heard of Islip because a few people have been there...

An M20F is an awesome and insidious machine. It starts out modest and grows to suit your needs...

Every now and then there is a competition of who has the coolest instrument panels.  You can find (search function) an F that started humbly, but has grown into a leader with a plethora of color screens.

Steven757 has had a recent new panel done by Islip.  Search and you will see some really cool IP photos.

Best regards,

-a-

Gsxr pilot
I think it is a Narco. It seems to be malfunctioning because when coming into Kfrg the tower told us they were not picking us up. Several indents were tried by myself and a cfi. It didn't matter. 
Gsengal
that is beautiful. But I don't think I can afford such an investment at this time. I'm leaning towards Islip but Ventura is at my airport and is logistically simpler. There are not many reviews that I can find on either company. Did you build that panel one instrument at a time or many at a time?
thanks
homefree

Nah that's a typical early Ovation or Bravo panel, 80% stock Mooney...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

It would depend. Personally, I'd rather get a transponder that I could use towards the 2020 mandate. My kt76 had a relatively expensive part go bad so it was a no brainer for me. If you can get the narco repaired for really cheap, it may be worth keeping because there are external adsb boxes you can install later.  

I plan to get the gtx 345.  It seems everyone likes islip avionics but nobody has anything to say about Ventura. Islip can't help me until January. Ventura can do something much sooner and they are an authorized money service station and they are located on my base airport. I think I will go with Ventura for the transponder because I'd like to fly sooner than later and for the other upgrades I will try out islip

Homefree (and thanking Anthony for thie nice plug),

Both shops will charge about the same in labor.  Islip ended up with the job on my Ovation, and I couldn't be happier.  This is all they do really, and having been shopping around for upgrades for 5+ years with multiple shops (Ventura included), I chose Islip as the clear winner.

Regards, Steveimage.jpeg

• Like 4

I was based at KFRG from about 2007 until 2010, and the prices were a joke then, so can't imagine now.  Hangars are indeed available at KISP and I can plug you into a few people who can give you more accurate prices and availability.  Shoot me a PM here and we can catch up offline.  You'd be looking at about $550 to $700 for a hangar at ISP...more at FRG.  As Atlantic Aviation holds the monopoly, and their wait list 'mysteriously' never gets any shorter, you (like me) will never get one, hence the reason I moved to Brookhaven and then to Islip.

50 minutes ago, StevenL757 said:

I was based at KFRG from about 2007 until 2010, and the prices were a joke then, so can't imagine now.  Hangars are indeed available at KISP and I can plug you into a few people who can give you more accurate prices and availability.  Shoot me a PM here and we can catch up offline.  You'd be looking at about $550 to $700 for a hangar at ISP...more at FRG.  As Atlantic Aviation holds the monopoly, and their wait list 'mysteriously' never gets any shorter, you (like me) will never get one, hence the reason I moved to Brookhaven and then to Islip.

Wow, I thought it was bad here, I pay $227 for a nice T hangar with power.

Pritch

IMG_1448.JPG

On 9/30/2016 at 4:38 PM, StevenL757 said:

Homefree (and thanking Anthony for thie nice plug),

Both shops will charge about the same in labor.  Islip ended up with the job on my Ovation, and I couldn't be happier.  This is all they do really, and having been shopping around for upgrades for 5+ years with multiple shops (Ventura included), I chose Islip as the clear winner.

Regards, Steveimage.jpeg

Steven, is that a safety switch cover over one of your red rocker switches? I've never seen that. Is that stock or did you add that during your panel upgrade? I'm looking online but can't seem to find one.

Not to answer for Steven, but since I'm here...

The O typically puts a guard over the high boost fuel pump switch.  

Operating the high boost with the engine driven pump would be a large FF.  The cover makes you think a little prior to operation.

The high and low boost switches are located side by side.

Best regards,

-a-

• Like 1

If you are planning on upgrade to a GPS decide what system you want to go with Avidyne or Garmin.  Then get the ADSB out transponder compatible for that GPS.  Might save you some hassle later on.  Some are not yet ready to play with others i.e. STCs not completely done yet.

I have the Avidyne IFD540 APX322 remote transponder combination.

Also I have a functioning GTX327 Garmin transponder I pulled for my new install if you are interested contact me we can discuss the financials.