Electric cowl flaps retrofit kit

unicom

Hi everyone,

I was wondering if the mechanic cowl flaps on my 1980 M20J (24-0975) can be upgraded with an electric option ?

Here is what I found on the M20J illustrated parts catalog:

880050-509 COWL FLAP MOTOR AVAILABLE FOR 14V AIRCRAFT WITH FIELD MODIFICATION TO ELECTRIC COWL FLAPS; EFFECTIVE: 24-0001 THRU 24-TBA.

Curiously when I am looking at the Mooney Retrofit Kits page, the part number 880050-509 does not appear in the list !!! 

Has somebody an experience with this modification ?

Thanks for your help.

Philippe

Hi there Philippe.

I also own an 80 model J that is 60'serial numbers older than yours. I haven't had experience going with electric cowl flaps, but a much cheaper option I did was to have my aircraft engineer replace the two position system with a vernier system.  It works perfect and by winding the vernier control knob, just like the mixture control, to any setting I desire or just pull it out or push it in.

There is no electrical motor to repair or eventually replace and it is a very simple system.

Victor

7 hours ago, unicom said:

Hi everyone,

I was wondering if the mechanic cowl flaps on my 1980 M20J (24-0975) can be upgraded with an electric option ?

Here is what I found on the M20J illustrated parts catalog:

880050-509 COWL FLAP MOTOR AVAILABLE FOR 14V AIRCRAFT WITH FIELD MODIFICATION TO ELECTRIC COWL FLAPS; EFFECTIVE: 24-0001 THRU 24-TBA.

Curiously when I am looking at the Mooney Retrofit Kits page, the part number 880050-509 does not appear in the list !!! 

Has somebody an experience with this modification ?

Thanks for your help.

Philippe

The electric cowl flap motor can be troublesome and very expensive to repair. Sometimes cowl flap motors have been nearly impossible to get.

14 minutes ago, LANCECASPER said:

The electric cowl flap motor can be troublesome and very expensive to repair. Sometimes cowl flap motors have been nearly impossible to get.

I got some feedback confirming that the price of the motor is ridiculous !!!

Now the Vernier option would do the job very well. All I want to do is being able to open the cowl flaps just enough to cool the engine on very hot days, without creating too much drag or shock cooling my precious cylinders ;-) !!!

• Like 1

Philippe,

I'm sorry but I don't have any schematics as this was done some years ago and my aircraft engineer has since closed his business.  Any competent aircraft mechanic would be able to do it and from memory the most expensive part was obtaining what we call here in Australia an engineering order, which is similar to the 337 used in the US.  I don't recall it as being too much of a job.  Maybe Clarence (M20Doc) or Don can chime in here.  As Scott suggests, I'm sure the cables came from McFarlane.

Victor