Mooney down NJ

Jim Peace

15 minutes ago, Alan Fox said:

I hope its no one I have met ...

How does that matter? Really sad either way.

I was flying gliders at Blairstown nearby today. I can say that winds were very shifty. Everyone was having trouble where they would pick a runway and winds would unexpectedly shift to tailwind as they were landing. 

5 minutes ago, gsengle said:

A friend in NJ tells me the 201 that crashed was a rental at Trenton-Robbinsville Airport.

http://www.airmodsflightcenter.com/flight/rental-and-instruction-rates

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

May be, but the J they were renting was N301KC.  The N # of the Mooney down starts with 5 and ends with M. Could be they changed rentals?

RIP.  Sad and hope the third passenger pulls through with no major long term issues, but the aftermath for that individual is going to be hell from a psychological perspective. 

Could be N526AM...registered in Robbinsville, NJ?  From a video on youtube below, the paint scheme matches.....

Brian

This sound like the pilot may have tried to land with a tail wind. A risky situation at night for a short runway on a private field with no local winds information. To insure that I am landing against a headwind I verify that my ground speed is lower than my airspeed while on final at 1,000 AGL feet or lower. If not I side step to downwind and land at the opposite end. The passing of a nearby thunderstorm can quickly shift forecasted winds without any warning on AWOS.

José 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, 201er said:

How does that matter? Really sad either way.

I was flying gliders at Blairstown nearby today. I can say that winds were very shifty. Everyone was having trouble where they would pick a runway and winds would unexpectedly shift to tailwind as they were landing. 

I would prefer to have the separation of NOT knowing them......Sucks ass.....

I'd be hard pressed to go into sky manor with 3 on board (full size adults). Not only is that runway 2900ft but it's got trees on one end and high power lines on the other. There's no shallow glide path into it from either direction so a tailwind would be devastating. You guys never see me getting gas there. First off cause I don't take the burrito and secondly cause I don't want to be anything more than 200lbs under gross. And even then it's a pretty teeth clenching departure where you familiarize yourself with all the local fauna. Landing there is tough but I can see how going around could be even more of a problem. 

I fly over there for lunch often and we've had many Mooney fly ins there. The airport manager himself keeps his Mooney there. So this hits close to home on so many levels.

A pilot on another forum stated he had landed just before the accident and said winds were light with a slight x-wind from the right.  He landed on the same runway the Mooney was trying to use and was putting his aircraft back into his hangar when it happened.  Also found another report that claims it was in fact N526AM.... :(

Brian

Well that is truly horrible to hear, made no better by being in my back yard.  Pretty sure that is N526AM, which I've seen on the ramp in Robbinsville in the last couple of weeks.  It's registered to a young woman who works there, but I don't know if it's used in the AirMods rental business.  I do know it's not their regular rental J, but that one was down for an engine overhaul I believe over the summer.  

I've landed at Sky Manor maybe a dozen times, always on 25, and for some reason I never seem to have a good landing there,  usually seem to end up long, even though I've handled much shorter strips with no difficulty.  Doesn't matter if it's steady 7kts straight down the runway or 10kts gusting direct crosswind.