Lynx 9000+ installation and box price

My 9000+ was $10.8k installed, but that also included mounting of a new Skywatch TCAS antenna.  I'm with Mike about how cool this thing is.  Can't imagine how I managed without TCAS all this time.  The box is amazing.  It's certainly earning its praise.

If you get the 9000+ over the 9000, keep in mind you'll need an NY164 antenna unless you're an existing Skywatch user.  Depending on where you shop, these antennas are between ~$2,500 and ~$4,000 each.  No one said Active Traffic was cheap, but I love the h--- out of it   :-)

• Like 1

3 hours ago, StevenL757 said:

My 9000+ was $10.8k installed, but that also included mounting of a new Skywatch TCAS antenna.  I'm with Mike about how cool this thing is.  Can't imagine how I managed without TCAS all this time.  The box is amazing.  It's certainly earning its praise.

If you get the 9000+ over the 9000, keep in mind you'll need an NY164 antenna unless you're an existing Skywatch user.  Depending on where you shop, these antennas are between ~$2,500 and ~$4,000 each.  No one said Active Traffic was cheap, but I love the h--- out of it   :-)

Oh wow, I had NO IDEA the antenna was that expensive.  So $10800 includes the antenna or is that additional Steven?

It's like a mini-radar (so it was described by my shop), and there's an awful lot packed into it, hence the price.  I acquired mine from a gentleman who was closing his shop doors, and luckily had a brand new one in the box on his shelf, so I ended up paying $1420 for it.  The $10.8k did not include this.

Sarasota Avionics has the updated version for the NGT9000+ ($1989) here:. http://sarasotaavionics.com/search/Ny164

• Like 1

54 minutes ago, StevenL757 said:

It's like a mini-radar (so it was described by my shop), and there's an awful lot packed into it, hence the price.  I acquired mine from a gentleman who was closing his shop doors, and luckily had a brand new one in the box on his shelf, so I ended up paying $1420 for it.  The $10.8k did not include this.

Sarasota Avionics has the updated version for the NGT9000+ ($1989) here:. http://sarasotaavionics.com/search/Ny164

Thank you for the education.  That is a price that needs to be absorbed a bit.

57 minutes ago, StevenL757 said:

Does the antenna also have the Waas capability or is that a separate antenna?  This antenna installs on the belly, right?  Thanks again for info.  

Good questions.  You will get a WAAS antenna included with your 9000 (similar in shape to the Garmin GA36) which will go on top.  Your transponder/DME antenna - the small, single blade - will go on the bottom.  If you choose the NGT with diversity, you'll have 1 transponder antenna on top and one on the bottom.

• Like 1

Thanks Steven.  No diversity option just going with +.  Can the traffic location replace/go where the existing Transponder antenna is located?  I already have two top mounted non-Waas GPS antenna's (for a panel mount 696 and a 300GNC) on plane.  Three up there is overkill...Oh well.

The NY164 TAS directional antenna needs to go on top of the airplane. The NGT-9000+ will consist of three antennas: transponder antenna, WAAS GPS antenna, and the TAS directional antenna. Diversity is optional, and if enabled with the active traffic (+) option, then the NY164 TAS directional antenna serves as your transponder diversity antenna also. 

3 hours ago, JKeeth said:

The NY164 TAS directional antenna needs to go on top of the airplane. The NGT-9000+ will consist of three antennas: transponder antenna, WAAS GPS antenna, and the TAS directional antenna. Diversity is optional, and if enabled with the active traffic (+) option, then the NY164 TAS directional antenna serves as your transponder diversity antenna also. 

Crap.  Two more antenna's on top of the plane...Hate that.

Just now, JKeeth said:

You could install a combo VHF/GPS antenna for the NGT-9000 and existing COM radio, but those antennas are pricey. 

Naw, ME109G had a bunch of humps and it was still effective :)

Looks like all in it will be about 10 grand.  Jeez.  At least the traffic upgrade gets us something we don't already have for safety/capability.  Thanks for the help/education everybody.

Keep a couple of things in mind as well...

- Skywatch 497 alone will run you north of $12k, and will only pick up traffic out to about 12 miles

- The 9000+ TAS/TCAS capability can scan for traffic up to 35 miles out.  Essentially, L-3 put the capability of the SkywatchHP standalone product into the 9000+.  SkywatchHP alone will run you north of about $20k easily.

So, clearly, the engineers (Jim can back me on this) out-did themselves by crunching all this good stuff into that small box.  And there's room left inside the box for future growth.

Again, it's an investment and a very personal decision.  Let us know what you decide.

• Like 1

Just now, StevenL757 said:

- Skywatch 497 alone will run you north of $12k, and will only pick up traffic out to about 12 miles

- The 9000+ TAS/TCAS capability can scan for traffic up to 35 miles out.  Essentially, L-3 put the capability of the SkywatchHP standalone product into the 9000+.  SkywatchHP alone will run you north of about $20k easily.

So, clearly, the engineers (Jim can back me on this) out-did themselves by crunching all this good stuff into that small box.  And there's room left inside the box for future growth.

Again, it's an investment and a very personal decision.  Let us know what you decide.

And Jim, my vote for future growth is to use the wifi router capabilities of the NGT9000 and have it "push" flight plans to the GPS from the IPAD apps. All the hardware is there, just need the firmware. By Bye FS510...

• Like 2

51 minutes ago, StevenL757 said:

I have been looking at the L3 9000+ for the TAS capability but what I am not sure of is what will happen in the future. When the mandate hits, the majority of the fleet will be equipped with ADS-B out, which should mean any planes within the hockey puck should be visible air to air without the need for the ground repeaters. Am I understanding that correctly?

So, after 2020 the TAS will still be pertinent for finding those planes still flying Mode C outside of the mandated areas. You are still on your own for the non-electric planes.Did I get this right?

3 hours ago, Marauder said:

I have been looking at the L3 9000+ for the TAS capability but what I am not sure of is what will happen in the future. When the mandate hits, the majority of the fleet will be equipped with ADS-B out, which should mean any planes within the hockey puck should be visible air to air without the need for the ground repeaters. Am I understanding that correctly?

So, after 2020 the TAS will still be pertinent for finding those planes still flying Mode C outside of the mandated areas. You are still on your own for the non-electric planes.Did I get this right?

That is my take.

• Like 1

I too have the 9000 D+ on my Comanche. My local avionics shop cut me a deal on the unit. I was able to do the antenna installs (traffic and WAAS) I removed the old avionics equipment and did the tray install.  They did all the interfaces to the Aspen and 430W.

I bought it primarily for the traffic side and got a free ADSB transponder thrown in.  If you buy one I'm sure you'll love it.

Clarence

9 hours ago, Marauder said:

That's an accurate summary.

Ha but we all fly the same traffic patterns at 1000agl. I'm guessing our active traffic will help to light up traffic that atc doesn't have... But would like someone who knows that level of detail of things to chime in

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

11 hours ago, gsengle said:

What if you are both below radar and therefore neither transponder is being interrogated and therefore not outputting a signal....

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I don't think it matters.  I think ADS-B transmits about once each second on its own.  If you both have ADS-B I think you would still see each other.  After 2020 the only people you shouldn't see are those who are not ADS-B OUT and not in radar contact.