Lynx 9000+ installation and box price

Following this conversation closely as my plane is in for the 9000+ install. Hopefully it is just an antenna placement issue and not an RF transmission leakage problem within the box. These guys build StormScopes and know all about interference caused by poor placement of antenna. In fact they require the skin be mapped for the StormScope installations. Hopefully if this is what needs to be done for these installations, the shops know this and are doing it.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro

13 hours ago, jamesm said:

NGT 9000 +  question ...

I had a NGT 9000+ installed back in January and I am getting an intermittent popping noise  (sounds like a old vinyl record hissing popping  sound) on my   Nav / Com #2  Kx155 usually starts 15 minutes into the flight . My nav/com #1 Garmin GNC 255A has no problems ( almost no noise very very hard to hear hissing noise pretty much  negligible )  and I have a  PS Engineering   PMA 8000 BT audio panel.  After a discussion  the the installer  I am pretty sure it coming from NGT9000 Everything was working great  before  NGT 9000+ installation . When I pulled the CB for the NGT9000+ the noise goes away. 

I was wondering if anyone else has  experience similar problem with KX155  and their NGT9000+ ?

Thanks,

James '67C

Hi James,

Unfortunately the "popping" noise coming from the NGT-9000 is a fairly common problem, and there are a few different things that need to be checked with the installation. The most likely culprit of the noise has to do with how well the transponder coax RF connector at the back of the NGT-9000 rack are grounded. Poor grounding, or bonding, of the connector will cause the noise to be more prevalent. I would suggest that the installer starts with inspecting the coax connections behind the rack, and I'm guessing they will find that the RF connectors are not making good contact with the RF grounding spring-clip piece.

The other issue could be poor bonding of the transponder antenna to the fuselage and/or an insufficient antenna ground plane.

Lastly, relocating the transponder antenna further aft may be required to completely get rid of the noise.

Please have your installer call me at (616)285-4436 and I can help them resolve the issue, if they haven't already called and talked to myself or one of my coworkers.

Hope this helps!

Jim Keeth

L-3 Aviation Products

jim.keeth@l3t.com

• Like 4

4 hours ago, tigers2007 said:

Do either of you have the active traffic? Does this transmit more energy than the non-active traffic version?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

No. The NGT-9000+ outputs 250W maximum for the transponder function and the active traffic function. The 9000 w/TAS doesn't output any more power than the 9000 w/o TAS.

Hi Jim,

What is distance suppose to between the NGT 9000 +  transponder  antenna and the  marker  beacon antenna ?

I am working on getting the the Airplane to the installer hopefully soon.  

Thanks for the information I'll pass the information to the installer.

James '67M20C

19 hours ago, gsengle said:

My 9000+ has generated zero noise. Just a data point.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Same here...zero interference or noise issues.  Greg and I had our Lynx boxes installed at the same shop here on Long Island, and I know they take great care in grounding things, ensuring connections are done correctly, and that the overall quality is present before releasing any aircraft.  They take a slight bit longer than most shops on average (based on what I've heard and read) but witnessing Islip Avionics' work, i can say this has been time well-spent.