Lynx 9000+ installation and box price

Here is a link for you:

Freeflight ADS-B University

Multiple chapters.  Chapter 1 says the "A" in ADS-B means Automatic.  That means it does not need interrogation to work.  Chapter 3 talks about who you see and when.

If you get an ADS-B IN that only covers one bank (978 or 1090), and both you and the other aircraft are NOT in radar coverage, you will only see the other plane if you are receiving on the same band that they are using for OUT.  If, however, you have a single band OUT but dual band IN (like the GTX345 and others) you will see all other ADS-B traffic regardless of what band they are using for OUT, even if neither of you are in radar coverage.

• 5 weeks later...

Update: We are still in a holding pattern on ADSB compliance.  Want it, but just can't pull the trigger on that price (Co-Owner and I).  Truth be told I just can't free up 6 grand right now for my half...Might end up moving outside of Class C to an area airport and saying "F" the mandate :(

I love my Lynx 9000 but now or in the future don't bet your life on "only" the traffic it sees. I have the + antenna and need to proceed with the active traffic. Also still have my Zaon too but it will not show 1080 out transponders.

Not sure if it has been mentioned but a 9000 can be upgraded to a 9000+ by purchasing the code to punch in. So a later upgrade is easy. I would do the Lynx again tomorrow ! 

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...
On October 25, 2016 at 10:03 AM, MyNameIsNobody said:

Update: We are still in a holding pattern on ADSB compliance.  Want it, but just can't pull the trigger on that price (Co-Owner and I).  Truth be told I just can't free up 6 grand right now for my half...Might end up moving outside of Class C to an area airport and saying "F" the mandate :(

I read that as a total cost of $12,000 ? My Lynx was just over $6,000 installed. Every day you wait, you are losing use of it no matter which you pick. I can't imagine having a capable airplane like a Mooney and staying away from class B/C

• Like 3

4 hours ago, Tony Armour said:

I read that as a total cost of $12,000 ? My Lynx was just over $6,000 installed. Every day you wait, you are losing use of it no matter which you pick. I can't imagine having a capable airplane like a Mooney and staying away from class B/C

I think the 9000 is like $5,000 the 9000+ which includes active traffic is ~$10,000

• Like 1

We were looking at the plus....Don't disagree.  We are in a holding pattern.  Partner flew six hours last year...Not enthusiastic about the upgrade.  Can't blame him.  Maybe 9000 vs. + in a couple years.  Still getting weather and some traffic through pad with portable in Garmin.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 months later...

Where did you get it installed?  Trying to decide on the Lynx 9000 or the GTX 345.  I have a Aspen 1000 and a Garmin 430W.  Any suggestions??  Thanks 

Edited by Wakeup

Mine was done at Quest Avionics at KOCF.

I went with the Lynx unit because I did not have a WAAS enabled GPS to start with. You do. My transponder was a Garmin GTX 320A unit, a non-digital, non-Mode S model that was purchased in early 2002. The Lynx unit enabled me to update my transponder and gain all the features of "ADS-B in" while meeting the deadline for 2020 compliance for "ADS-B out".

I also considered going the route of updating my radio gear with a WAAS GPS unit and asked the Avionics shop about this as an option. Paul, the owner at Quest, advised me that in my situation I would need not only the GPS unit but a new switch panel and a new VOR head because the ones I had would not function with the WAAS GPS/NAV/COM. Additionally I would still need to purchase a new transponder so.....the Lynx became the best, most affordable alternative for me.

I wasn't interested in spending the money just to meet the minimum "out" requirements. Having the on-board weather with radar returns up to 800 miles away, real time TFR info and the traffic awareness...the traffic that I was not seeing using "see and avoid" was impressive. My thinking was that if I was going to spend the money, I wanted the benefits of "in" as well.

In your case, you could probably get off with a less expensive option since you have the 430W to start with. You might do what I did and visit an avionics shop or two and let them look at what you have and ask them for their opinion about your options. 

One other suggestion. You might want to wait and see what specials will be available at Sun n Fun this year.

Hope this helps.

Edited by BKlott
  • Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

Just for informational purposes while this thread is hot: I spoke with L3 today and the confirmed that the Lynx equipment will only feed traffic info and NOT wx info on the screen of a Garmin GTN.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Curious  question  for the NGT 9000 + owners out there where is the " Active Traffic " antenna mounted ? 
Also curious to know if you are able to change your flight id( tail number) ?

Thanks,
James '67C

Square on top of the front seat roof. It's a big antenna. It's the skywatch antenna (which i already had)

There is trade in value in the old skywatch boxes (also L3 now) that in my case totally offset the cost of the "plus", gained me back useful load, got me a new warranty, and increased active traffic transmission power...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
  • Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

NGT 9000 +  question ...

I had a NGT 9000+ installed back in January and I am getting an intermittent popping noise  (sounds like a old vinyl record hissing popping  sound) on my   Nav / Com #2  Kx155 usually starts 15 minutes into the flight . My nav/com #1 Garmin GNC 255A has no problems ( almost no noise very very hard to hear hissing noise pretty much  negligible )  and I have a  PS Engineering   PMA 8000 BT audio panel.  After a discussion  the the installer  I am pretty sure it coming from NGT9000 Everything was working great  before  NGT 9000+ installation . When I pulled the CB for the NGT9000+ the noise goes away. 

I was wondering if anyone else has  experience similar problem with KX155  and their NGT9000+ ?

Thanks,

James '67C

You have done a nice job describing the problem with great detail, James.

Have you called the installer of the new transponder?

some noise issues we have seen around here include ground wires, filters and those iron donut things that dangle on wires...???

Best regards,

-a-

Edited by carusoam

7 hours ago, jamesm said:

NGT 9000 +  question ...

I had a NGT 9000+ installed back in January and I am getting an intermittent popping noise  (sounds like a old vinyl record hissing popping  sound) on my   Nav / Com #2  Kx155 usually starts 15 minutes into the flight . My nav/com #1 Garmin GNC 255A has no problems ( almost no noise very very hard to hear hissing noise pretty much  negligible )  and I have a  PS Engineering   PMA 8000 BT audio panel.  After a discussion  the the installer  I am pretty sure it coming from NGT9000 Everything was working great  before  NGT 9000+ installation . When I pulled the CB for the NGT9000+ the noise goes away. 

I was wondering if anyone else has  experience similar problem with KX155  and their NGT9000+ ?

Thanks,

James '67C

James...

Mr. Jim Keith from L-3 is on this forum and could offer some guidance.  I would send a PM to him mentioning the issue again if he doesn't happen to read this.  Jim has been extremely helpful recently with an issue we encountered several months back for which a fix was recently identified.

Steve

• Like 1

7 hours ago, jamesm said:

NGT 9000 +  question ...

Thanks,

James '67C

James,

I had the same issue. I was told the Lynx unit is sending a much more powerful "burst" of data out than the old transponder. This signal is picked up by other equipment and you hear it as a pop in the speaker or your headset. In my case, the shop increased the distance between my transponder antenna and the marker beacon antenna. I will measure the distance and let you know if you like. It is not much because there is not much real estate to begin with. 

Steve