In the news

Mcstealth

I'm a simple man, simple home, simple job, simple thoughts, complex aircraft, . . . but I digress.  Our esteemed leaders have had the better part of 230 years to figure out how best to govern this wonderfully diverse country of ours.  Now I'm all for understanding that some mistakes will be made along the way, but let's face it, these lawyers, former student body presidents, and popularity contest winners fall into the category of peoples covered by Einstein's definition of "idiot".  Our governing bodies have become nothing more than a vehicle for the preservation of both the corrupt institutions that govern us and the lucrative careers they provide the aforementioned section of our greed driven society.

(stepping down from soapbox now)

MSNBC...I wonder where they tilt?  More propaganda on those scarrrrrrrry airplanes.  I said it before...NEW BIGGER TAX in the guise of a fee....that is needed to PROTECT ALL americans from a potential threat....BULL$#@%!  IT'S A TAX!  The example given in the story has a drug dealer taking a legitimate N-number and using it...and the re-registration will stop this how?  Good Grief.  I bet the registration fee goes up, up UP.  Let's register all our guns and our pets and our lights (got to get rid of those evil light bulbs)....I would have more respect for the government if they just said...hey, we need more money...not everybody is using their planes and well the air carriers don't want a bigger fuel tax...so we need to do this registration thing...it's going to create jobs and, well we DO NEED THE MONEY...and I promise not to (blank) in your mouth.

Quote: scottfromiowa

MSNBC...I wonder where they tilt?  More propaganda on those scarrrrrrrry airplanes.  I said it before...NEW BIGGER TAX in the guise of a fee....that is needed to PROTECT ALL americans from a potential threat....BULL$#@%!  IT'S A TAX!  The example given in the story has a drug dealer taking a legitimate N-number and using it...and the re-registration will stop this how?  Good Grief.  I bet the registration fee goes up, up UP.  Let's register all our guns and our pets and our lights (got to get rid of those evil light bulbs)....I would have more respect for the government if they just said...hey, we need more money...not everybody is using their planes and well the air carriers don't want a bigger fuel tax...so we need to do this registration thing...it's going to create jobs and, well we DO NEED THE MONEY...and I promise not to (blank) in your mouth.

A few things to add....

[1] The story itself is old news designed to fill space and sell ads....with the unintended consequence of raising ire...

[2] The picture, is that unfavored NJ airport that tried to separate George from his money and keep him separate from his airplane.

[3] As for the value of re-registration.  The story blames people for not following the law of aircraft registration.  So they changed the law.  Now the same people can avoid following the new law every three years.  Much added value for your $5.00 fee / tax.

Recommendation: Ignore the story and avoid the airport....

-a-

Not to be the voice of moderation but I think an accurate accounting of US registered aircraft is long overdue and does serve a good purpose.  I believe the government does need to know who owns what airplane and where it's based.  Not because GA is the "ominous" threat to national security that the media paints it to be, but because we all share the sky and there are criminal elements out there that will & do exploit loopholes to avoid detection and law enforcement efforts.  I for one don't want illicit drug dealers using "unregistered" N numbers to move their product, and I certainly DO want the FAA to know exactly how to get in touch with me if someone illegally uses my N number to file a false flight plan.

I'm not so worried about the intent, as I am the implimentation of the policy.  Anyone who follows my posts knows I don't have a high degree of confidence in the FAA's ability to manage and regulate in an affective or efficient manor.  But I don't see how anyone can resonably argue with a $5 registration fee every three years.  That seems like a very small price to pay to have an accurate, up-to-date database of US registered aircraft.  I think if this had been in place, John and Martha King might not have been treated as felons with guns pointed in their faces when there was confusion over their 172's N #. 

curious to know what the FAA will do about 1,000s of unregistered aircraft, cluttering airports after correcting all the typos and minor mistakes.   Always makes me sad to see planes sitting there on the tramac, tires flat, collecting dust under the beatting sun or rain and probably unairworthy. 

It's not the $5. It's my absolute lack of faith that the numbskulls will take better care of this new-and-improved information than they ever have before. Can't wait to see what shame my medical records will be in once the gummint's running healthcare.

It's not going to be any better after the renewals than it is now. There is no provision in the renewal for those aircraft that are currently on the registration list and don't respond beyond being delisted from the registration. Of course those aircraft immediately are no longer airworthy but they will still exist physically.

From an FAA and DHS view, if this action is to know if terrorists (or potential terrrorists) are buying/own planes they just made it worse. I am sure a terrorist is going to be deterred because he can't get a registration for that plane he just bought.