NLG Shock absorber link

Hector

Bird is in annual and decided it was a good time to replace the landing gear doughnuts.  Long overdue.  Main gear went pretty well although I had to fight to separate the collar from the shaft.  Lots of kroil and a heat gun.  The nose landing gear actually came apart easier but then found a lot of wear on the shaft as shown in the pictures.  Also, the collar was actually two separate collars.  One that looks like the one shown in the Mooney parts manual and a smaller collar maybe about 1/4 inch tall that was positioned below the larger collar.  My NLG strut is actually a Lasar strut that a previous owner installed so maybe the Lasar collar allows for two separate pieces (I will be calling them in the morning).  Regardless, I now I need to replace the link or shaft that holds the doughnuts because of excessive wear.  I hope Lasar has a spare or maybe Don Maxwell.  If neither of them can help I will post an update here and hopefully someone has a spare they can sell me.

NLG link 1.jpg

NLG link 2.jpg

Yes.  I bought the plane close to 5 years ago and this is the first time I have taken the struts apart for inspection and replacement of the doughnuts.  Probably should have done this sooner.  I called LASAR today and they are FEDEXING a new part to me.  Found out the small spacer is part of a SB to improve alignment and controllability on landing rollout.  Should have it all together this weekend.  I'm in a race to get the annual done and make the Mooney Summit in Panama City or I'll have to drive there.

The spacer is part of Mooney service bulletin M20-202. I tried it without the spacer first and did not pass the SB so the spacer went back in. Landing gear doughnuts are all in and with any luck my plane will be done with annual Wednesday 9/29, just in time to take me to the Mooney Summit.

On September 22, 2016 at 2:28 PM, carusoam said:

Looks like the spacer should be getting some grease.  Check the MM or with LASAR....

I'm only a PP, not a mechanic.

Best regards,

-a-

From health class long ago, I remember that petroleum lubricants and rubber products don't mix well.

Clarence

Just now, carusoam said:

Some lubricants can get adsorbed by the polymer matrix, causing swelling and loss of other physical properties..?

Got to use the right lubricant!

Best regards,

-a-

My plane has a special feature, It continuously lubricates that part with used engine oil.

• Like 4

• 3 years later...