Law enforcement night landings

garlint

So, I live in Western Montana and go in and out of our tiny airport frequently for work and pleasure. 7 times out of 10 if I land after 10:00pm there is a cop waiting without lights on as I land. After I land they will turn on their lights and follow me at a distance. A couple days ago, they drove by my hangar as I was putting away my bird. Didn't get out, or stop. Just drove by slowly. When I land the other local strips at night I have experienced the same thing. I love cops and appreciate the job they do, but I don't like feeling like I'm being watched or singled out just because I fly. Are they looking for drug traffickers? We are close to the Canadian border. Are they bored and want to see a late night landing? Any law enforcement pilots out there? Our town is tiny, I will probably just ask him what's up. But I was wondering if this is common in other areas.

Edited by garlint

Where in Western Mt? I feel like if you're up on the highline like Kalispell you're probably right, looking for drug runners, or are just bored and want to watch the plane land. Maybe they're worried someone is stealing airplanes, who knows.

Try not to get shot flagging them down.... 

Edited by peevee

I'm in St. Ignatius, just north of Missoula. Noise isn't an issue, trust me, the cows don't mind. I'm not so much worried about myself getting shot but my kids are adopted and black. Actually, they are the only ones in town. Hey, case solved LOL.

8 minutes ago, garlint said:

I'm in St. Ignatius, just north of Missoula. Noise isn't an issue, trust me, the cows don't mind. I'm not so much worried about myself getting shot but my kids are adopted and black. Actually, they are the only ones in town. Hey, case solved LOL.

Yikes, yeah... Be careful. 

A Mt native myself 

Are they tribal or county police?  I would have to guess they are looking for drug running either way.

I have a friend from back in my high school days that grew up and still lives in St. Ignatius.  I am looking forward to retiring in a few years so I can finally get back to Montana.

Just now, kpaul said:

Are they tribal or county police?  I would have to guess they are looking for drug running either way.

I have a friend from back in my high school days that grew up and still lives in St. Ignatius.  I am looking forward to retiring in a few years so I can finally get back to Montana.

I'd like to get back too. Not many jobs though. I was back last month for the first time in a decade and didn't realize how much I missed it. I was supposed to fly but our hunk of junk is in the shop. 

Edited by peevee

Just now, peevee said:

I'd like to get back too. Not many jobs though. I was back last month for the first time in a decade and didn't realize how much I missed it

My parents and sister live in the Helena area.  I only manage to make it back about every other year.  My wife manages to make it back for a visit at least once a year.  Since I will retire at age 46 I will have to find another job but will be willing to work for less to get back home in the Four-O-Six.

I live on the Texas / Mexico border in S. Texas, not uncommon to land at a small airport in the evening and be met by either US Customs, Border Patrol, DPS (state police), local PD, Sheriff or the Texas Nation Guard, not mention being shadowed on your flight by what ever agency (they never land). I've gotton so use to it in the past 7 or so years that I really don't much about it anymore ....

1 hour ago, Bob said:

May want to just flag them down next time and talk to them to get some answers?

I'm planning on enrolling into the police academy next spring. I can tell you the airport would be a common patrol area for me if/when I got hired.

Maybe he just likes planes and wants to see them? For sure flag them down and introduce yourself. You'll never know if you will find the next pilot, or better, a free pass next time you get pulled over.

• Like 1

Just now, kpaul said:

My parents and sister live in the Helena area.  I only manage to make it back about every other year.  My wife manages to make it back for a visit at least once a year.  Since I will retire at age 46 I will have to find another job but will be willing to work for less to get back home in the Four-O-Six.

All my family left. Hln is one of the few possibilities for Employers, that or gtf but the pay is like a third what I can make now

I'm well known in town, only 1,000 people, lived here all my life. My dad has owned the only grocery store in town for 40 years. We rotate thru new cops about every 4 months because the job pays next to nothing. They aren't tribal cops, just town cops. But the same thing happens at Polson. But, you all are right. It's a great place to live, but no jobs. That's why I have business out of state. 

Rather than risk a possible unnecessary confrontation between a public servant and an honest pilot, I would just place a call to the department the next morning and simply inquire about the activity.  If the officer is within his jurisdiction, he has authority to patrol within his jurisdiction and as a law abiding citizen you have the liberty to be left alone and also to simply inquire. 

I have my plane hangared at an airport with its own airport police as well as the local city police which patrol the AOA.  I often work on my plane during evening hours, sometimes very very late, and they would occasionally stop by to check my airport ID badge. Not so much anymore, now that just drive on past my hangar. They probably recognize my car by now. I never minded it since I appreciate the vigilance around my plane. I pay $625 a month and I like to think I'm also paying for that extra security, because I am. 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, NotarPilot said:

I have my plane hangared at an airport with its own airport police as well as the local city police which patrol the AOA.  

It could be he's driving his patrol car by AOA and not using his AOAi properly. I'd consider watching his stop and go's more closely.

Agreed break the ice and make a new friend who will watch your property more closely for you, turn it into a win/win for you.

• Like 1

Our publicly owned airport sits on a county line and is owned by the 2 counties and the small cities that are the county seats. The airport fence prominently displays a sign that both cities' police and both counties' sheriff's patrols protect the airport. There is almost always a police car parked inside the fence.

The airport is in a rural area and I love it that there is at least the appearance of police presence though I seldom see an officer around.   

They are looking for drugs... they do that a lot around here too.. 

Personally, I like seeing police driving around the ramp.  It makes me feel more secure that theft or vandalism will be deterred.   They will often drive by my shade hangar and when they see that it's me, they just wave..  It's a commercial airport too and it would be easy for someone to jump the fence near where my plane sits.  It's kind of hidden between buildings.   Anyhow, they are there to protect and serve and my experience is that 9 times out of ten, if they are approached with kindness and respect, they are some of the best people.  Around here, I have never met a less than super nice sheriff...  I have, however, met non-friendly city policemen though.

• Like 1