What Replaced Our M20E

flight2000

So, I sold our M20E last month as mentioned in the classified section and I had made a reference that we picked up our new bird roughly 4 days later.  Decided to finally reveal that I went to the "dark side" and ended up buying a 1968 Beech E33A Bonanza....I know boo-hiss...  :ph34r::rolleyes:

I was targeting a later model M20J or even an early model M20R but the prices and useful load that I was looking for with my current/future mission just didn't match as well as I had hoped.  All the M20J's had really low useful loads, most were less than 900 pounds???  So I started looking at the F33A, S35, and V35 (straight, A, and B versions) Bonanza's just to see what else was out there.  Unfortunately, prices for good F33A's are rather high (over inflated in my opinion) but we got lucky and found ours in the sub-$100K range.  There are only 51 E33A's on the FAA registry, so this particular model is even more rare than some Mooney's.  Production on the E33A only lasted 2 years (68-69) before changing to the F33A model in 1970.  The useful load on ours is 1174 pounds and will carry 270 pounds in the baggage compartment.  Huge improvement over my M20E and no way I could have my son do what he did in the second photo with a Mooney. :o   The CG limits are not an issue (unlike the V tails, which can be a challenge sometimes) so managing our flights is easy, even with full fuel on-board.  Speed wise, I gained about 20 knots over my M20E while burning about 6 gallons more per hour (...ouch) with the 2 additional cylinders to feed.  The biggest selling point for my wife was the back seat area (never should have put her back there when we were looking at F33A's...:mellow:) and passenger comfort.  The rear seats lay almost flat in the fully reclined position and can be positioned anywhere from full up to full down.  Not sure if the split seat Mooney's were capable of doing that???    Interesting to note that the Bonanza is 6 feet shorter from wing-tip to wing-tip than my M20E (I had the 201 wing-tips on mine). 

So, here she is just outside my hangar:

E33A 7175N.jpg

Baggage Area.JPG

Cheers,

Brian

former 1967 M20E owner/driver.

• Like 6

Photos of the backseat area and business end.  I've since moved the iPad Mini to the yoke after I found an after market mount designed specifically for the Beech Ram Yoke.  It was not an issue up there and had no impact on my sight lines. 

Cheers,

Brian

Rear Seats.jpg

Business End.jpg

Edited by flight2000
  • Like 1

Just now, KSMooniac said:

Looks like a great choice! Is that one of the rare aerobatic models?

Sent from my VS985 4G using Tapatalk

Thanks!

Those would be the E33C and F33C models.  Believe there were less than 25 total made of those.

Cheers,

Brian

Edited by flight2000
  • Like 1

Caution, fun harassment follows...

Loading full sized kids in the back is a pain for the O.  getting them over the baggage door hurdle is tough. :)

Good luck with the new bird, Bryan.

Having to study all the names of the models and versions of another brand keeps me from even thinking of leaving the M family. 

Hmmmmm....  Harpoon, that's turbine B, isn't it?

Best regards,

-a-

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, teejayevans said:

Has your landings improved?:)

Can't improve on perfection, so no... :P

Actually, I've found the Bo to be a lot easier to slow down in the pattern and put it on my intended spot every time.  The flaps are huge compared to the Mooney and the gear speeds are higher, so that makes it easier to slow down.  Not that the Mooney was hard, just different technique.  Speeds on final are very close, so didn't take that long to figure out how to land her.

Brian

• Like 2

Just now, flight2000 said:

Can't improve on perfection, so no... :P

Actually, I've found the Bo to be a lot easier to slow down in the pattern and put it on my intended spot every time.  The flaps are huge compared to the Mooney and the gear speeds are higher, so that makes it easier to slow down.  Not that the Mooney was hard, just different technique.  Speeds on final are very close, so didn't take that long to figure out how to land her.

Brian

Doesn't it feel weird sitting way up there?  No more feeling like your butt will drag on the ground.

Clarence

1 minute ago, M20Doc said:

Doesn't it feel weird sitting way up there?  No more feeling like your butt will drag on the ground.

Clarence

It does...now I need a step stool to check the oil and clean the windshield before a flight.  Even my son (who's 6'3") commented that he couldn't sit on the wing anymore without jumping... ;)

Brian

Edited by flight2000

Love the choice Brian.  Only plane that I look at, besides Mooney of course, is the Beech F33.  I love the look/performance and landing characteristics of the Beech.  The sound is not to shabby either...No Rolls Royce Merlin, but a sweet sound in taxi or doing a flyby.  Glad you got there.  I knew you would.  You rehabbed a beautiful E.  Did it go to another ND fan?  That would of been fitting.  

PS-Wholly crap on the growth of your son!  When we went to Culver's years ago he resembled "average".  He grew into a handsome young man.  Well done.

Enjoy!

• Like 1

Should've bought your last plane first. Everybody says it. The Mooney really does seem to be the beginner Bonanza. I don't think anybody keeps stats, but I have found it pretty consistent that if a Mooney owner decides to "trade up" and they don't go twin or turbo prop, they go Bonanza. 

• Like 2

2 hours ago, MyNameIsNobody said:

Love the choice Brian.  Only plane that I look at, besides Mooney of course, is the Beech F33.  I love the look/performance and landing characteristics of the Beech.  The sound is not to shabby either...No Rolls Royce Merlin, but a sweet sound in taxi or doing a flyby.  Glad you got there.  I knew you would.  You rehabbed a beautiful E.  Did it go to another ND fan?  That would of been fitting.  

PS-Wholly crap on the growth of your son!  When we went to Culver's years ago he resembled "average".  He grew into a handsome young man.  Well done.

Enjoy!

Thanks!  Yea, he's growing like a spring weed.  Went from 5'10" to 6'3" in about 8 months.  Crazy growth spurt and he's not done by a long shot...

I believe Mo's new owner is a closet ND fan...lol.  He lives in the SoCal area, so who knows for sure... I already have a new N number reserved (N612ND) that will get put on at some point and we certainly got lucky with the paint scheme.  I'll send you a note next summer and may stop by again in June if the timing works out.  Think it's safe to say I'll be moving east after this assignment.  :) 

Brian

• Like 1

1 hour ago, peevee said:

Looks real nice for sub-100k

I find the bonanza to be a wonderful airplane to fly. Enjoy it

Now, go get a tornado alley kit for it 

We'll probably be moving back to the flat lands once I'm done with my assignment here in Reno, so a turbo isn't really necessary for me.  When the engine is due for an overhaul, I'll probably upgrade to an IO-550 instead.  :wub:   Currently have an IO-520-BA on the nose.  Have to say 285 hp was a big step up from the 200 hp I was used to.

Brian 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, flight2000 said:

We'll probably be moving back to the flat lands once I'm done with my assignment here in Reno, so a turbo isn't really necessary for me.  When the engine is due for an overhaul, I'll probably upgrade to an IO-550 instead.  :wub:   Currently have an IO-520-BA on the nose.  Have to say 285 hp was a big step up from the 200 hp I was used to.

Brian 

necessary is all relative :)

Hrm, ND, notre dame or nodak?

14 hours ago, DaV8or said:

Should've bought your last plane first. Everybody says it. The Mooney really does seem to be the beginner Bonanza. I don't think anybody keeps stats, but I have found it pretty consistent that if a Mooney owner decides to "trade up" and they don't go twin or turbo prop, they go Bonanza. 

that will be me in the future, Bonanza is where I wanted to start, but no complex time and no one would insure me as such a low time pilot....maybe one day!