I think my annual just got expensive

clh

So, this year, we went through 87 QTs of oil in 206 hrs of operation, (a good portion of it I think ended up on the hangar floor)     

We also had several instances that the oil pressure would begin to drop off during flights exceeding about 3 hrs    

So after 30 years and 1900 hrs, I decided it was time to give the engine a little rest.  I also found a replacement engine was just too good of a deal to pass up .  Hopefully we do not find too many unexpected surprises, the ole piggie bank is a little bit depleted........

IMG_0390.JPG

• Like 1

10 hours ago, clh said:

So, this year, we went through 87 QTs of oil in 206 hrs of operation, (a good portion of it I think ended up on the hangar floor)     

We also had several instances that the oil pressure would begin to drop off during flights exceeding about 3 hrs    

So after 30 years and 1900 hrs, I decided it was time to give the engine a little rest.  I also found a replacement engine was just too good of a deal to pass up .  Hopefully we do not find too many unexpected surprises, the ole piggie bank is a little bit depleted........

IMG_0390.JPG

Is that a picture of the new one or the old one?

Just now, clh said:

It's the new one. It had been sitting in storage for a little while and gathered a little dust.

The old one is covered in 30 years of oil, dirt, and grease.... and still on the plane.

That's reminds me that I like to start an annual by using at least 1 can of GUNK foam degreaser to wash down the engine compartment. It's more fun to work on a clean machine and it's easier to spot problems. When you test fly and inspect you'll know any oil is a leak and not left over from who knows when. (Protect the mags, etc.) 

• Like 2