Army Navy, Airforce, Marines

orionflt

Army, Navy, Airforce or Marines  

147 members have voted

1. 1. Seems like a lot of us on the forum have served in the Armed forces so I thought it would be interested to see what branch has the most representation. GO NAVY!

Applied for the Navy AOCS, was ultimately not accepted due to flat feet. This was 1986, the summer of Top Gun, so they could use whatever reasons they wanted to weed out candidates. In retrospect I wish I would have fought harder to get in, but I was young and carefree, pissed off at the rejection and decided to go teach skiing instead. Plus, I was in that generation which still had the tail end of the bad feelings about Viet Nam, so the military was not seen quite as positively then as now.

But my Dad was a Navy physician so that's always been my favorite service. Besides, Navy uniforms are the absolute coolest!

I didn't serve but am proud of several family members who have:

Step-grandfather: Navy, Pacific Theatre, WWII. Still healthy and active at the age of 90.

Dad: Marines

Step-uncles: One graduated USAFA and served in the first Gulf war. Two others were Navy officers.

Half-brother: Retired Colonel, US Army.

First cousin: US Army, first Gulf War

Second cousin: Marines, three tours in Vietnam

• Like 2

15 minutes ago, Jeff_S said:

Besides, Navy uniforms are the absolute coolest!

I have Air Force in my blood, but I still think the Marines Mess Dress is about as sharp as it gets.

Dad was 20 years Air Force 67-87 and retired as Lt Col. Grandfather I don't know how many years Air Force but retired Col. Have an Uncle that was Air Force as well.

I went one year AF ROTC at ASU before serving a mission for church. Got home, things had changed politically, if you weren't going to the Academy you had no chance at a pilot slot so I decided to find another way to make a living.

My second daughter is going into the Army National Guard this winter. Not sure where I went wrong with her and why she would defect to the Army instead of the Air Force...

• Like 2

Dad retired from the Marines after 23 years (I was in 10th grade, brother was a college freshman). Father in law retired from the Army, artillery. Brother in law is in Air Force Reserve, Red Horse, in the Middle East somewhere. Both dads did Nam, mine twice. Grandfather on Mom's side was in the Navy, Pacific Theater, WWII. Wife's great uncle was in the USS Missouri from 42-45, watched the surrender onboard. They don't/didn't talk much about their experiences. Professional military in the 70s was a hard row to hoe, at least I could be proud to be a Marine brat.

• Like 1