Morning Thought

211º

42 minutes ago, Hank said:

Negative, sir! We also left out some consonants:  programme, omelette, etc. And we left your sweet little granny in the big house, but more importantly her fathers, too, for several generations. We also left the strange way you (used to) count money, but you finally wised up and went to decimals instead of pounds, shillings and pence with different conversion factors for each (that I never figured out). But we are nice to our neighbors!

We're still waiting for y'all to switch to the metric system.

Clarence

42 minutes ago, Hank said: Negative, sir! We also left out some consonants:  programme, omelette, etc. And we left your sweet little granny in the big house, but more importantly her fathers, too, for several generations. We also left the strange way you (used to) count money, but you finally wised up and went to decimals instead of pounds, shillings and pence with different conversion factors for each (that I never figured out). But we are nice to our neighbors!

We're still waiting for y'all to switch to the metric system.

Clarence

It took me nearly 3 years but I've finally switched out all those pesky 8-32 screws and 1/4-28 bolts that hold my bird together for metrics. Now I can finally work on my Range Rover and Mooney with the same set of tools!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

• Like 2

26 minutes ago, Hyett6420 said:

Nice to neighbours.   Hmm don't get me started on war debt and the Marshall Plan!

but hey you do invent lovely new words when there already exists several that would do the job perfectly well like "downsizing" as opposed to reducing. :)

He's blocked me, so this is for me:. Thank you would be appropriate regarding the War.  Just a simple Thank you USA.  L M Y

P I K.  

(The Brits had a Brilliant mind, that just happened to be gay, that was responsible for developing "The Bomb".  Not THE Bomb, but, I digress...He was critical in the Allied victory for creating a code breaking machine.  I wonder if he can crack my code?

Doubt it.

Are you saying that the UK derived no benefit from the Marshall Plan, and only received a large amount of debt?

I was implying that the Marshall Plan was a pretty big thank you to the US, not to the UK, aka it was a huge boon to the US economy.

Aka the US "won the war" so the Marshall Plan was repayment (thank you) for "winning the war" sent in the form of a bill for "helping to rebuild Europe."

Edited by jkhirsch

8 minutes ago, jkhirsch said:

Are you saying that the UK derived no benefit from the Marshall Plan, and only received a large amount of debt?

I was implying that the Marshall Plan was a pretty big thank you to the US, not to the UK, aka it was a huge boon to the US economy.

Aka the US "won the war" so the Marshall Plan was repayment (thank you) for "winning the war" sent in the form of a bill for "helping to rebuild Europe."

Was that the was which started in September 1939, or the other one that started in December 1941?

Clarence

55 minutes ago, M20Doc said:

Was that the was which started in September 1939, or the other one that started in December 1941?

Clarence

That was the same war, it just started in different places at different times. News and travel were both pretty slow back then, and the fighting had to spread across pretty much the whole globe.

• 3 weeks later...

Well, I'm going to have to respond to Andrew.  First, I'll say I agree with most of what you said, but would like to set the record straight on a few points.  My responses will be in red, below.

I will continue to say that in one respect, Andrew didn't go far enough in his praise of Britain's contribution to the war: From July 1940 to July 1941, Great Britain stood alone to thwart Nazi aggression, to include a major deployment to North Africa while the Battle of Britain was raging.  It was this defiance that caused Hitler to abandon his desire to invade Britain and turn his attention to the Soviet Union, which broke the uneasy peace between them and was his eventual downfall.  It is difficult to imagine an invasion of Europe without having the British Isles to jump off from.  Also, although we may not have taken your idea for tank attachments, we were enthusiastic supporters of the Mulberry Harbor, which had far more to do with a victorious invasion in Normandy than flail tanks.

9 hours ago, Hyett6420 said:

Ok.  Herewith the History lesson.  The USA did Not win the war, the Allies did as a whole.I agree.  Forminstance you didnt join till 1941, by which time, we had rescued our army off the beaches of Dunkirk in small river boats, had fought with 750 aircraft the whole of the Luftwaffe and destroyed it.

Fighter Command did an exceptional job, but they didn't destroy the Luftwaffe.  The US 8th Air Force, based in England, lost over 4,000 bombers- nearly all due to Luftwaffe fighters.

By the time you joined, we had won the battle of britain stopping theinvasion of the Uk, we had fort the africa campaign and inflicted serious damage to axis forces.  When you joined in 1941 we advised you on aircraft carrier design, you didnt listen and as a consequence lost more men than needed to dive bombers as the bomber penetrated your wood decks (ours were steel).

Yes, steel decks are great, but they still won't stop a 500 pound bomb.  The US Navy took quite a few recommendations from the Royal Navy regarding armoring aircraft carriers, mostly at the torpedo line and to protect against naval gunfire.  In one respect, it was pivotally fortuitous that we did have wood flight decks- it allowed the USS Yorktown to be repaired in days, not weeks, following the Battle of the Coral Sea.  This allowed it to be ready for action in the Battle of Midway.  There is no doubt that the Battle of Midway would not have been such a resounding success if we had been missing 1 of the 3 aircraft carriers committed during that battle.  

I will leave it to the Naval Academy graduates here to discuss aircraft carrier construction in greater detail.

The 1945 invasion for you was a disaster as again you didnt listen and refused our "wierd technology" like mine clearing tanks etc.

I will assume it was a typo and you are actually referring to the invasion of Europe in 1944.  Actually, the only disaster that occurred for us was at Omaha Beach and was due to an experienced German unit being moved to the location less than a week prior to the invasion, so this was an intelligence failure, not equipment.  Mine clearing (Flail) tanks would only have been marginally effective at Omaha Beach.  Utah Beach, like Juno, Sword and Gold, were easily won.  (BTW, the US Army currently uses an attachment to the M1 tank that is a direct descendant of the British Flail tanks of WW2).

In the battle of the bulge it was our tanks thatnsaved your arse etc.

This is untrue, but I can see where the misperceptions comes from.  North of the Bulge was the 21st Army Group commanded by Bernard Montgomery (British).  This was composed of the First Canadian Army, the British Second Army, and the US First and Ninth Armies.  When Monty attacked south to eliminate the bulge, this attack was led by the US First Army, spearheaded by the US 2d, 3d, and 7th Armored Divisions.  From the south, the 12th Army Group attacked north to eliminate the bulge, comprised solely of US forces.

You didnt join the war till you were forced to by Japan, until that moment you were just getting rich on it and you did the same afterwards.

I agree.

Sorry but in reality neither of us won the war, Russia did.  Look at the facebook post which shows the daily positions of allied forces and axis forces after d day.  We both crawled eastwards, the russians however took most of thenland mass of europe.  

The USA took our empire!  

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/North_African_Campaign  

End of rant.  

Finally, please don't forget Lend-Lease, which began in March 1941, nine months before we entered the war.  A majority of the Lend-Lease payments to the US were allowed to be forgotten after the war.

image.jpeg

PS- sorry about my rant, I had a double major of European and Military History in college.  This means I'm not qualified to do anything except fly airplanes. :)

• Like 3

Let's not forget about the thousands of merchant sailors that died trying to cross the Atlantic to bring food and supplies to Britain prior to our official entry. I doubt things would have ended well if it weren't for the lucky ones that made it through. My Aunt was a welder making those ships on Mare Island. Dad served under Patton in the bulge and made the 100 mile march to free Bastogne. Does anyone think the war could have been won without the 8th Air Force. And remember the war in the Pacific which was primarily fought by the US navy and Marines as for the final outcome we found a more definitive way to end that one. But your right it took an alliance to end it. As far as empirical thinking at that time in history with the atomic bomb the US could have taken the entire world but we didn't 

Its morning and I had a thought 

• Like 1

6 hours ago, M20Doc said:

Remember that the victors get to write the history books.

Clarence

Even worse, the victors rely on media reporting for data.

Media bias eventually becomes historical "fact".  Anyone involved in the early days of US involvement in Viet Nam (prior to it becoming a military action) would not recognize what's in our kids' history books.  Much of that malarky is straight out of the fiction propagated by Newsweek, Time, US News and even Life magazine.

Just because it's in a book, doesn't mean it's accurate.

YMMV

• Like 1

On 10/8/2016 at 3:31 PM, Hyett6420 said:

The quotes around my statements are intended to imply "sarcasm" that would be a narrative or phraseology that I did not create and don't necessarily believe to be true, or not completely accurate, or does not completely articulate what I actually want to say.

On 9/22/2016 at 5:32 PM, jkhirsch said:

• Like 1

I believe you guys have it pretty correct I'm no history major here but I did stay...:)

What really won the war was an unstoppable manufacturing ability here in the US.  The fact that we could produce the weapons of war faster than the Germans or the Japanese could destroy them and we essentially starved their war machine for fuel.

• Like 1