Hey Florida MS'ers I need your suggestions. I'm doing my instrument cross country tomorrow evening and would like some recommendations on where to fly. I'll need to do an ILS, RNav and localizer approach. One of my legs needs to be somewhere where my instructor and I can get some dinner (preferably on the field). Departing Ocala and 250 nm plan. 

Tell me about your instrument  cross country experiences and what to expect. Looking forward to your stories and suggestions.

Thanks,

Steve

You can fly up to Florala, 0J4.  They generally have a good spread of food that is priced by recommended donations. I have only been in there on weeknights so you may want to call to confirm they will have the food in the FBO.  As for approaches Florala only has an RNAV.  However along the way you could drop into KTLH, they have ILS/Localizer/RNAV/VOR and then KMAI, for VOR/RNAV/NDB.  I like dropping into multiple fields to do one or two approaches with students.   Multiple airfields force more route and airfield study and generally you get to talk to more ATC agencies. 

• Like 1

42 minutes ago, Raptor05121 said:

I don't think there is much up here (food wise) unless you went to Pensacola or Panama City. Your best bet is to go south, but I haven't been farther south than Leesburg.

Alex, Thanks for the heads up about the food (lack of) situation. I was thinking south as well. By the way, sorry that I was unable to make the pig roast. It sounds like if was a success though.

Steve

• Like 1

26 minutes ago, kpaul said:

You can fly up to Florala, 0J4.  They generally have a good spread of food that is priced by recommended donations. I have only been in there on weeknights so you may want to call to confirm they will have the food in the FBO.  As for approaches Florala only has an RNAV.  However along the way you could drop into KTLH, they have ILS/Localizer/RNAV/VOR and then KMAI, for VOR/RNAV/NDB.  I like dropping into multiple fields to do one or two approaches with students.   Multiple airfields force more route and airfield study and generally you get to talk to more ATC agencies. 

Kpaul, Florala looks like a cool place to fly in. I will certainly put that on a must do trip list,  maybe even on the return from the Mooney Summit. It looks like I'm going to go south tomorrow, possible Venice and a quick trip to Sharky's. Then over to the east coast and back. Lots of approaches available. 

Are you going to be at the Summit? 

Steve

Pirep for Florida flyers...

re: Sharkey's on the Pier at KVNC.

Great location right on the beach and adjacent to the airport. Food was excellent (had the swordfish tacos and sweet potato fries". You can walk it, but the FBO (Suncoast Air Center) is at the east end of the field so it's a long walk. They charge a $10 tie down fee which is waived if you purchase fuel. Uber is not allowed to operate on the island so you have to mark your location off island and text the driver where you are. The ride was $5. Also, the restaurant will pick you up and return you if they have someone available. The southwest coast truly has some of the best beaches in FL.

image.jpeg

• Like 1

1 hour ago, 1964-M20E said:

If you want some really good high intensity approaches go into KORL.  Lots of things happening all at once.

Flew into there yesterday, VFR. I'm not sure what's worse, flying directly over high-rise office buildings on the approach to runway 7, or the airport being right on the inner ring of the MCO Class B.

10 hours ago, 1964-M20E said:

If you want some really good high intensity approaches go into KORL.  Lots of things happening all at once.

Been there many times and should have planned it since KLAL controller wouldn't give us the ILS (even though not one aircraft arrived or departed in the 30 minutes we were there). Had to go to KGNV to get my ILS in. It was pretty late and IMC, so KORL would have been just fine. The glide slope was NOTAMed in-op at the home field.