Update on Dynon STC progress

NotarPilot

I called EAA today to ask what the progress was on adding the Mooney line of aircraft to the STC AML for the Dynon D-10A and D-100A.  I was lucky enough to but connected with a guy who's actually on the project.  He said they are working on adding the Mooney and Bonanza line of aircraft to the AML and the time frame is about 3 weeks.  Therefore, we can expect the D-10A to be available to us in early October.  

I also asked if the SkyView sytem was in the hopper.  He said it is but more in the long term time frame.  As he explained to me, the recent FAA policy change was to allow us to replace our attitude indicators with systems like the D-10A, G5, ESI-500, etc.  Getting the FAA to buy off on replacing the entire set of primary instruments seems to be more challenging and since you can't install a hefty Dynon SkyView or Garmin G3X Touch without removing most, if not all, primary instruments I get the feeling we won't be seeing approval of such systems for a while.  So those of you who are holding out on those big box systems you might be waiting a while.  If you're holding out for the D-10A like me, our time is about to arrive.  

Keep in mind the 3 weeks was an estimate.  So don't charge the EAA HQ with pitch forks and torches if you don't hear the announcement by Oct 8th or something.

Steve

• Like 11

• 1 month later...

I actually bought the G5 and I'm just waiting for a day in my schedule where I can go install it. My longer term plan is to get a Dynon and place the D10A on the right side for any copilot, instructor, student, etc and also for redundancy and because it gives heading and winds aloft information. For the price, why not? But the G5 looks better and is smaller therefore will fit on the pilot's side while the D10A will not. 

• Like 1

Just had a D10A mounted as the replacement for the AI in our club 182.  Used the same hole as the old AI and it looks and works great except for the winds aloft.  Dynon says they are aware of the problem and working on a fix.  Pretty slick unit though.

• Like 1

The reason we chose the D10A over the G5 is the additional functions of the D10A.  We ordered all of the options, remote compass, OAT, AOA and lithium backup battery.  You can have a complete power/panel failure and still have a functioning, certified, navigation device.  We have a full Garmin GTN 650 w GDL 88 and 330 transponder in this plane and would have preferred to keep the panel all Garmin but the G5 simply does not offer all these options.  

• Like 2

On 10/18/2016 at 10:32 PM, helitim said:

Just had a D10A mounted as the replacement for the AI in our club 182.  Used the same hole as the old AI and it looks and works great except for the winds aloft.  Dynon says they are aware of the problem and working on a fix.  Pretty slick unit though.

Tim, can you expand on the how the winds aloft are not working? Is it the direction? Wind speed? Just curious because I really like the Dynon and would like to install it but only if it'll work as advertised? Do you really think Dynon will be able to fix it soon?

14 hours ago, helitim said:

The reason we chose the D10A over the G5 is the additional functions of the D10A.  We ordered all of the options, remote compass, OAT, AOA and lithium backup battery.  You can have a complete power/panel failure and still have a functioning, certified, navigation device.  We have a full Garmin GTN 650 w GDL 88 and 330 transponder in this plane and would have preferred to keep the panel all Garmin but the G5 simply does not offer all these options.  

What was the total equipment cost and install cost?

The wind speed aloft is the issue.  The wind direction seems to work but the indicated speed was inaccurate.  We simply turned that function off for the time being.  Every other feature works very well.  

The total cost with all available options and install was $4526 from Velocity Avionics Avionics in Modesto, Ca.

14 hours ago, helitim said:

The wind speed aloft is the issue.  The wind direction seems to work but the indicated speed was inaccurate.  We simply turned that function off for the time being.  Every other feature works very well.  

The total cost with all available options and install was $4526 from Velocity Avionics Avionics in Modesto, Ca.

That's a little more than I just expected it to be even with all th accessories. How many hours of labor did it take to install?

It was their first time installing one of these particular units and of course we had all of the options.  They had to install a separate pitot tube for the AOA, remote compass, GPS antenna, rework the panel overlay to make it fit nicely and then the normal wiring.  The guys told me it took about 16 hours but, they think it could reasonably be done in 12 hours next time.  The advantage of this system, in my opinion, is that it is a separate navigation system should you lose ships power.  It may be a little bit more money but it does a lot more than the G5.

To quote someone else on the forum "that's my $0.02 worth".

Good  job  Steve..... You got a lot further with  EAA/DYNON STC than I did.  I tried to start a petition to  have MS people sign up on Dynon's  web site but I don't think  Dynon did seem too interested  at the time. So when Garmin received G5 certification, I decided to go down that route.   When I looked at  the STC's approved  list on Dynon's Web site seems   to me it would be a no brianer to go after Mooneys  since almost Mooney's are under the same TC (2A3).   I guess someone at Dynon  or EAA has Tomhawk as  a test bed.   Doesn't make much sense to me to choose a Tomahawk (the unicorns of the sky)  with something like 800 of them flying  when  compared  to a potential of 5000  to 8000 Mooney's or Bonanza's out there. 

Good figure.

Hey Steve ... maybe you could drop a good word for us Mooney owner's at Tru-trak  autopilot. I hear they are trying  get an STC for Auto Pilot in the C-172.

James  '67C

Edited by jamesm
  • Like 2

• 3 months later...