Installed a Merlyn Black Magic UDPC today - with pictures

Zwaustin

Was time to do a little something to the 231!! Had read good things so thought it would be a great time while engine is pretty low time (less than 290 Hours) to install a Merlyn Black Magic Upper Deck Pressure controller to compliment my airflow systems intercooler on my LB engine. I never thought it was much of an issue/ extra work load messing with throttle settings but I did want to reduce the load on the turbo at lower altitudes and increase my critical alt since we do fly pretty high on longer trips. I placed my order over the phone with Suzanne Evans who provided excellent customer service and answered a multitude of questions that I had regarding longevity of the product and install nuances. Shipping was free and package arrived in three business days to TX. Box was nicely packed with all parts individually wrapped and protected along with the POH supplement, 337 forms, STC and detailed installation instructions. Installation was done by my local mechanics, Gafford Aero and took roughly 6 or so hours, far less than the predicted time of 10 to 12 hours. There seemed to be no real struggles other than removing the old elbow with the fixed "waste gate" bolt in it (see dents in the old elbow from tough removal). Upon first engine start after the install an immediate difference in throttle position was noted and power during run up was made using far less than the previous "normal" amount needed. Will be flying this weekend and will report back on any notable differences in the air. Although others have discussed this part, thought I would share some pics with those who haven't seen one or were thinking of getting one on their bird. 

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

• Like 4

1 minute ago, Pritch said:

Very interesting, on my 231 it is plumbed the opposite direction.  But that could be due to the fact that I have a Turboplus intercooler.  Currently have mine opened up and installing a JPI 730, having lots of fun.

Pritch

Yes, Merlyn offers a couple of different "J" pipes based on your application and intercooler options.  The pipe used with the Turboplus tucks it in back.

• Like 1

The airflow systems and turbo plus are very different installs but the Merlyn controller is compatible with both with slightly different configuration. My airflow systems intercooler sits up high on the rear left side right under the upper cowling cover. Very accessible for cleaning and removal. 

• 1 year later...
35 minutes ago, smlynarczyk said:

Any additional thoughts about this product? Function? Reliability? Maintenance/costs?

Every -LB engine needs one if the turbo is going to be used at altitude; including preferably with an intercooler. Just the blower with a fixed wastegate is a very limited installation - yet cheap. But the pneumatic wastegate is still a manual wastegate and a far cry from the more capable and truly automatic hydraulic controller such as the VAPC, which is one of the most capable controllers out there and used on the MB and SB engines in the 252 and Encore respectively. 

• Like 1

• 4 months later...