Stalls and slow flight poll/discussion.

cnoe

Stalls and slow flight poll.  

94 members have voted

1. 1. When did you last intentionally stall your Mooney (other than while landing)?

• In the last 90 days.
    • In the last 6 months.
    • In the last 12 months.
    • More than a year ago.
    • Never.

6 hours ago, N9201A said:

You also practice stalls, Bob. Chuck's informal poll showed a significant number of MSers who responded never do...and they're probably a higher percentage in the general pilot population.

Again, mindset. Is a pilot who doesn't practice slow flight and stalls as sharp as they would be if they did? Being an MSer doesn't affect that analysis.

I'd wager that the pilots 

who are leery of stalls are the same ones who approach the fence at 90 knots and are all the same ones, when faced with distractions, are the ones who lose control on the pattern and crash 

• Like 2

1 minute ago, bluehighwayflyer said:

A friend and I tried to spin his 150 recently and flat out couldn't do it without adding both power and a little "g", almost like a snap roll entry.  I had the same experience a few years ago in a 172 at the conclusion of a week's worth of aerobatics training in Great Lakes and Pitts.  You gotta give it to those Cessna engineers.  How people manage to inadvertently spin them in I have absolutely no idea. 

Jim 

Wow, it has been years sense I've spun a 150, but when I was getting my private my instructor would have me do spins almost every lesson. In a Tomahawk too. If I remember we would bring the yoke back as far as it would go, wait for the stall and then shove the rudder to the floor. It spun every time.

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, bluehighwayflyer said:

I spun 150s and 152s, too, when I was soloing and getting my PPL back in '89 and '91.  I think both my buddy and I have gained a little weight since then, though.   We did not calculate our CG but I wonder if it was towards the front of the envelope. 

Maybe, I would go try, but I don't even know where to get one these days. They used to be all over the place.

8 hours ago, Hyett6420 said:

Fully agree, Tomahawks WILL drop a wing, one or other and you never know which one, but if you dance the rudders you can keep the wings up and do falling leafs.  I learnt to fly in a Tomahawk and think it is the best training aircraft ever as it "bites" but doesnt kill unless man handled.  A 152 in my opinion is too docile as a trainer.

That's exactly the reason Piper built the Tomahawk. 

I got my private certificate in one too. More than 25 years and 30 makes and models later and I was excited to get back into one,

• Like 2

On 9/14/2016 at 1:24 PM, N201MKTurbo said:

Two days after I bought my current Mooney I needed a BFR. We went out at night to do the BFR. (How many of you have done a BFR at night?) We did slow flight without incident, then I did a departure stall OMG the plane snap rolled almost inverted. I told my instructor we weren't doing any more stalls. He agreed. 

The plane was horribly out of rig. The yokes were at about a 20 deg angle while flying straight and level. After I fixed the rigging I went out and stalled it and it stalled very nicely and straight ahead.

The bottom line is if someone says their Mooney is scary when they stall, they are probably right. If someone says their Mooney stalls benignly they are right too. If your Mooney is scary when you stall it, it can be fixed. (and your plane will probably go faster)

From what I understand the horror stories from stalling mooney's come from poorly rigged aircraft. Mine has a very docile stalling behavior with a very nice warning buffet before it stalls completely. I have noticed that you have to get on the rudder pretty quickly if one wing starts to drop but it is still easily recovered. 

2 hours ago, klystron said:

From what I understand the horror stories from stalling mooney's come from poorly rigged aircraft. Mine has a very docile stalling behavior with a very nice warning buffet before it stalls completely. I have noticed that you have to get on the rudder pretty quickly if one wing starts to drop but it is still easily recovered. 

But you have a short body, I've said this before, different models can have different characteristics, don't paint all models with your 1 experience in a C.

IF I had a C and was moving up to a mid body/long body I would get some Mooney specific transition training.

• Like 1

i did slow flight and power on/off stalls a few hours after buying my F model.  We did it at 3000agl.  it did a slight wing drop but nothing scary.  nice buffet before stall.  And power on stall was shoot for the moon to get it to go.  shes got some horses under the hood ;)

• Like 1