C models with no dorsal fin - why??

DXB

Throwing this out for fun but largely pointless discussion:

Kerrville stopped putting dorsal fins on the M20C in my year (1968), and this omission remained through the last year of the model in 1978.  As far as I can tell, every single other metal wing M20 ever made has a dorsal fin. So why the heck did they take it off all the later Cs? They started making some other cost cutting changes that year, but i can't imagine not riveting that simple aluminum piece on one model saves very much.  

Google says dorsal fins add yaw stability. My short body has many wonderful traits, but yaw stability in turbulence is NOT one of them. In turbulence, the tail wags quite a bit and helps rear sear passengers who sit further off the CG axis get all pukey.  But I would imagine adding yaw stability also decreases rudder effectiveness?   

So, has anyone here put a dorsal fin on their '68-'78 C model?  Does it improve anything, other than help the plane feel like it fits in better with its siblings?  It's a $500 Lasar mod part that I bet is easy to install but hardly seems like a priority.

No dorsal fin.jpg

Mine has no fin 64 personally I think the short body looks leaner and more sleek without it. I do notice a slight bit of yaw waggle in light turbulence but it's never uncomfortable kind of lets me know the air is moving and reminds me to keep my feet on the rudder. Are you sure yours is a 68 I thought they had the extended rudder by then.

3 minutes ago, bonal said:

Mine has no fin 64 personally I think the short body looks leaner and more sleek without it. I do notice a slight bit of yaw waggle in light turbulence but it's never uncomfortable kind of lets me know the air is moving and reminds me to keep my feet on the rudder. Are you sure yours is a 68 I thought they had the extended rudder by then.

Full length rudder came on the C in '69.  I wonder if your fin was removed at some point. Here's both a '63 and a '64 that have them:

http://www.trade-a-plane.com/search?category_level1=Single+Engine+Piston&make=MOONEY&model=M20C&listing_id=1762504&s-type=aircraft

http://www.trade-a-plane.com/search?category_level1=Single+Engine+Piston&make=MOONEY&model=M20C&listing_id=2182488&s-type=aircraft

Even all the pix of B models that I find have them.

IIRC, the M20D didn't have the dorsal fin.

I have the LASAR mod but I also have tail waggle, especially in turbulence, so I don't really think it does much.  It does look cool, and you can hide your ELT antenna inside it- which is probably worth at least 8-10 knots.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, klystron said:

On a similar note. Does anyone have any experience with putting the ELT antenna under the fiberglass LASAR dorsal fin? My local A&P told me he has seen it a few times on other moony's with that mod.

I did it on my first M20C.  Must've gained 8-10 knots.  Or maybe it just looked faster. ;)

• Like 2

I have a 70C, and I have a dorsal fin. I have never notice any tail waggle in my plane. I also have a curved piece in there so that it's not a 90 degree angle from the back of the plane to the front of the horizontal stabilizer. I have the full tail rudder, too. Maybe that makes up for the rudder authority if it really is an issue. 

IMG_0169.jpg

2 minutes ago, rbuck said:

I have a 70C, and I have a dorsal fin. I have never notice any tail waggle in my plane. I also have a curved piece in there so that it's not a 90 degree angle from the back of the plane to the front of the horizontal stabilizer. I have the full tail rudder, too. Maybe that makes up for the rudder authority if it really is an issue. 

IMG_0169.jpg

Nice looking airplane!

Your dorsal fin is either factory parts or (most likely) the LASAR mod.

From Those Remarkable Mooneys:

The M20D did not have the dorsal fin.  Not sure about the conversion process to a D/C, but I don't think the dorsal fin was included.

Beginning with 1968, the dorsal fin was removed through 1977 with the exception of the Butler year- 1971- that also included the "stinger" attachments:

image.jpeg

1976:

image.jpeg

1969:

image.jpeg

M20D:

image.jpeg

According to the book, there was no production in 1972 and 1973.

8 hours ago, N1395W said:

From Those Remarkable Mooneys:

Beginning with 1968, the dorsal fin was removed through 1977 with the exception of the Butler year- 1971- that also included the "stinger" attachments:

image.jpeg

According to the book, there was no production in 1972 and 1973.

Strange since my 74 definitely has one and Hank's 70 has it.

3 hours ago, Mooneymite said:

Strange since my 74 definitely has one and Hank's 70 has it.

No idea, just passing along what was in the book.  Entirely possible the information in the book is inaccurate, although the pictures don't lie- definitely 1970's vintage M20Cs without dorsal fins.

Any chance it was added to your and Hank's airplanes at a later date?

There were large swings in the economy in those days.  The factory cut a lot of things like expensive flush rivets for less expensive round head rivets in some places...

Key words of the day were oil embargo and gas lines and odd and even days...

Remember those good old days?

Best regards,

-a-