M20J Speed Improvement?

Last year I took the 400 out for a max power run at 2500', the best I could get was 240 mph indicated.  I will do it again soon after a few mods.

Clarence

Now you're just bragging Clarence.... . Lol!

Try putting one of Chris's girls in that 400, she'll slow down!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

• Like 3

18 minutes ago, Guitarmaster said:

Now you're just bragging Clarence.... emoji14.png. Lol!

Try putting one of Chris's girls in that 400, she'll slow down! emoji12.png

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

If Chris can deliver one in his Mooney, I'm up to the challenge of flying her in the Comanche.

Clarence

Does anyone run their cowl flaps flush with the fuselage when they are closed?  Mine are set to about 1/2 inch open in the closed position.  I looked it up in the manual(1978) and it says flush or 1/4 inch open during operation in hot environments.   How about the propeller alignment?  Is 1/2 inch off worth fixing/shimming?

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

Yes, close the cowl flaps and shim the lower mounts. I'd guess you'll need a 1/16 on both sides, maybe an 1/8" on the pilot lower side instead. In the race to Oshkosh I ran the engine 80 ROP even at 28-29" MP and it ran below 400 for the race. 

We had a good talk at last year's Mooney Summit where Bob Kromer talked about cowl flap adjustments on J's. He said during their testing, if the cowl flaps were fully closed, the airflow actually came forward from the engine air inlet due to compression in the compartment. I seem to recall he said they determined an opening of 1/2" to 3/4" at the rear of the cowl flaps provided better speed and cooling for the J. From most of the ones I see, there that seems to be the norm, but YMMV.

• Like 3

• 1 year later...

So, doesn't this discussion beg the question............Why the 201?   It doesn't sound like anyone is breaking the 200 barrier except for Jet Driven.  I fly an archer and can get 140 to 145 knots out of but want to move to a m20j for the 30 knot jump.  It doesn't sound like I'll get much more than a 10 knot jump.   

• Haha 1

3 minutes ago, Curtis said:

By "Why the 201?..............I meant the name.  Mooney's sales pitch was that it would fly at 201 mph. 

Wide open, full rich, down low, washed and waxed, no induction leaks, cowl flaps closed, 201 mph should be possible. Not recommended for frequent operation if you want long engine life.

I have recently demonstrated book speed of 165 mph indicated when WOT / Full Rich at 1300 msl / 1000 agl. The J has more power and less drag, shouldn't have a problem doing 201 or really close to it depending on rigging.

Speeds in aircraft are almost meaningless. My wife was upset after we bought our 231, and I flight-planned short flights at 155 knots. Yes, I fully believe that under the most extreme advantageous conditions, a 201 did 201 mph and a 231 did 231mph. But one has to ask how fast I am going to cruise, using the settings I plan on realistically using. Curtis needs to compare the speeds he experiences in the Archer and the 201 speeds using more or less identical percentage power settings. (I know nothing about Archers, and perhaps the numbers are only 10 knots difference.)

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Curtis said:

By "Why the 201?..............I meant the name.  Mooney's sales pitch was that it would fly at 201 mph. 

201 mph is 174 kts, that would be quite a feat for any J model.  Certainly they won’t cruise at that speed.

Clarence

No matter what the name is...

It is still the fastest four seat, NA , factory built, plane in its class...

For the added speed...

Go Long Body...

Be The fasted normaly aspirated Factory Built four seat plane with a 310hp engine...  :)

Skip the NA go direct to a pair of snails...  TN'd IO550 in the FLs!

Where’s the marketing department for naming that?

Best regards,

-a-

15 minutes ago, carusoam said:

No matter what the name is...

It is still the fastest four seat, NA , factory built, plane in its class...

For the added speed...

Go Long Body...

Be The fasted normaly aspirated Factory Built four seat plane with a 310hp engine...  :)

Best regards,

-a-

Its a shame tornado alley never did their TN treatment to the Ovation.  That would be the fastest Mooney.

• Like 2

21 minutes ago, M20Doc said:

201 mph is 174 kts, that would be quite a feat for any J model.  Certainly they won’t cruise at that speed.

Clarence

I can do around 172 KTAS all day but it’s low altitude, usually turbulent at that high of an IAS, and terrible for fuel. But 172 KTAS and  16 GPH is the standard Bonanza profile so I can do that if I want to.

I’m not sure how it’s harming engine life. It is running at 2700 RPM, ROP and it’s 330 CHT. Like every takeoff but cooler since the IAS is so high. I think it likes it. 

Edited by jetdriven

17 minutes ago, carusoam said:

How well "Ultra" fits   :P  Even if it's techincally M20-V . . . . ???

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, jetdriven said:

I can do around 172 KTAS all day but it’s low altitude, usually turbulent at that high of an IAS, and terrible for fuel. But 172 KTAS and  16 GPH is the standard Bonanza profile so I can do that if I want to.

I’m not sure how it’s harming engine life. It is running at 2700 RPM, ROP and it’s 330 CHT. Like every takeoff but cooler since the IAS is so high. I think it likes it. 

This is absolutely believable to me as I see around 163-165KIAS  in my F this time of year when down on the deck.

3 hours ago, Curtis said:

I fly an archer and can get 140 to 145 knots out of

There is absolutely no way I believe you are getting 140-145 knots in a fixed gear Piper Archer unless you are turbocharged at FL200 or in a dive.

But yes, a 201 will nicely cruise at 155-160 knots which is about 40 knots faster than any Piper Archer that I've ever flown.

• Like 10
  • Thanks 2

2 minutes ago, Andy95W said:

There is absolutely no way I believe you are getting 140-145 knots in a fixed gear Piper Archer unless you are turbocharged at FL200 or in a dive.

But yes, a 201 will nicely cruise at 155-160 knots which is about 40 knots faster than any Piper Archer that I've ever flown.

I moved to a J from a 1981 Archer. The Archer is a great aircraft and Piper's best all around 4 seat aircraft IMOP but easily 35-40 knots slower in my experience. 

23 minutes ago, Andy95W said:

He's probably llooking at groundspeed, and forgetting that the wind doesn't always blow from behind, or that strong.  :lol:

• Like 2