Moving Map Orientation Poll

201er

Map Orientation  

65 members have voted

1. 1. Which orientation do you keep your moving map?

• North Up
    • Track Up
    • Mixed (different devices)
    • Other
    • I don't use any moving map display

I use both on my GNS 530W. North up for flight planning and flight progress. Track up for guidance during enroute and approach. On the 530W switching from track up to North oriented is just one click on the right knob. The track up mode display a compass arc together with a CDI. You actually need both mode since it would be cumbersome to check the flight plan on track up. And track up provides easy guidance.

José

203Kts.jpg

"Forgive me father for I have converted to Track Up".

But... when I enter a terminal area I often touch the "North Up" button on the iPad as it's hard to make an accurate position call (i.e. 10 miles NW of the field at 3,000') when the map is turned at some odd angle on-screen.

And Paul is right; Foreflight's new aero chart just made flying "track up" much easier.

Mostly north up, but track up is fine.  I try to be flexible, especially since CFI work and being in a partnership mean I don't always get to choose.

I think this has gotten to be less of a deal with modern navigators and iPad apps that make it easier to pan the map relative to your ownship symbol.  I was a north-up bigot in the days when track-up put your ownship at the bottom of the screen and it was a lot of trouble to look at stuff behind you (helpful when flying outbound legs and procedure turns on instrument approaches).

Here's a trivia question: of those who prefer north-up, how many of you are model airplane pilots?  I've always thought people already comfortable with the mental gymnastics of transposing their "eyes" into a virtual cockpit oriented in another direction, are likely to prefer north-up.

Here's a trivia question: of those who prefer north-up, how many of you are model airplane pilots?  I've always thought people already comfortable with the mental gymnastics of transposing their "eyes" into a virtual cockpit oriented in another direction, are likely to prefer north-up.

I'm not, even using maps while driving or nautical charts when boating, its always north up. Im curious if people turn maps, charts? And what about approach plates?

2 hours ago, cnoe said:

"Forgive me father for I have converted to Track Up".

But... when I enter a terminal area I often touch the "North Up" button on the iPad as it's hard to make an accurate position call (i.e. 10 miles NW of the field at 3,000') when the map is turned at some odd angle on-screen.

A quick glance at the DG will rectify your position relative to the field, just look at the bottom and that's where you are.

And for Vance, I upgraded from U-Control to RC not long after college, but have let it all slip in the great controller upgrade battle; don't think any of mine are permitted anymore. But that's alright, Full Scale is a blast!

• Like 2

55 minutes ago, PaulM said:

G1000: defaults,  Heading up for nav/traffic (tactical)   North up for weather  (strategic)

Tablet:  Foreflight: north up (strategic, planning, weather) + correct text alignment for frequencies etc. 

This is exactly the same as my setup.