231/252/201 useful loads

Tx_Aggie

14 hours ago, carusoam said:

The fuel being burned is a good direct indication of how fast you will be moving...

When deep ROP a couple gph get used for cooling and don’t add to the translation.... Over the ground...

If you want to go fast... there is no substitute for burning fuel...

Typical fuel burn of an M20C 10gph and 150mph... or so... from old memories.

Boosting the MP, but keeping the FF artificially low via mixture... is interesting... but not a way to go fast...

Sure there are cook book reasons to include prop design, TIT, and intercooler outlet temps...

But don’t lose sight of the fact it takes fuel to generate speed... no matter how efficient a TC’d Mooney actually is...

The actual efficiency of the TC’d Mooney really shines in the FLs... it isn’t all that good at NA altitudes...

Best regards,

-a-

I can coax 160+mphi from my C at 1200-1300 msl [1000 agl around here], but no fuel flow installed.

I generally get around 9 gph block time [fuel pump to fuel pump] traveling 7500 msl and up, running ROP. Generally 145 mphi or ~147-148KTAS. Not too bad for 180hp and a carburetor. ;)

All 201 / 231 / 252. etc., should easily exceed these speeds on less fuel. :(

35 minutes ago, carusoam said:

JRW’s panel...

Does the Aspen always show a descent?

That might be asking for a calibration button push...

Best regards,

-a-

DF565D27-18A9-49C5-8B4D-3D05EE26243F.jpeg

F4BE0616-D7BE-4A88-A9C9-C1AE303EC56A.jpeg

Nope...that’s why I had 166 ktas ;). Autopilot was doing a slight correction.  Picture right before was 165 and level

• Like 1

I am glad this thread has been resurrected. It is interesting to see the differences between models and individual examples of the same model. My 1983 J left the factory with 916 lbs. of useful load. That was its best day. At present the useful load is 898 lbs.

At the moment it is in the shop to have the legacy HSI and AI removed to be replaced by glass. The vacuum system is going away as well. I think that just may get me somewhere close to the original useful load.

Down the road, I am considering a MT propeller (8.3 lbs. reclaimed) and a smooth belly (about 5 lbs.).

It would be nice if the lighter weight lithium batteries were certified because that would net about 15 lbs. more.

A useful load of 950 leaves 558 for people and bags with full fuel. With three hours and reserve, the P&B number improves to almost 700 lbs.