Let the EDM900 install begin!!

GM, while you have the circuit breaker panel pulled apart, reach back there and pull the avionics bus relay out and inspect the pins and socket. The relay is that gray cube that you can see in the sixth photo down. Clean off any carbon with a scotchbrite cloth and grease the pins before you reinstall.

You will love your EDM900. Best thing I ever did for the aircraft.

• Like 2

GM, while you have the circuit breaker panel pulled apart, reach back there and pull the avionics bus relay out and inspect the pins and socket. The relay is that gray cube that you can see in the sixth photo down. Clean off any carbon with a scotchbrite cloth and grease the pins before you reinstall.

Great idea! Thanks!

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk

2 hours ago, Ratherbflying said:

Matt -- Rather triggered another thought. If you have the machine gun landing light (button on the throttle), the relay for this circuit is buried in the back behind the breaker panel up on the side wall. Mine failed a year ago and was quite a pain to get replaced. They no longer make the exact relay and I have the details on the P/N for an acceptable replacement.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Marauder said:

Matt -- Rather triggered another thought. If you have the machine gun landing light (button on the throttle), the relay for this circuit is buried in the back behind the breaker panel up on the side wall. Mine failed a year ago and was quite a pain to get replaced. They no longer make the exact relay and I have the details on the P/N for an acceptable replacement.

I did think about replacing that.  What is the P/N?

Small update:

I had to order about $200 worth of hoses and fittings so that brings the total to ~$2900.  

Tomorrow will be pulling wires through the firewall, EGT and CHT probe install.  Probably install the BI805 valve for the ACCUTRAK at the same time.

Lots of work, but so far, not difficult.  Pics to come.  

• Like 1

I generally like my EDM900 a lot - had it about a year. Of course I was cursing a tad when my RPM sensor went bad in the middle of my Oshkosh pilgrimage.  And the MP transducer is too sensitive, so it bounces a bit in flight - firmware upgrade didn't fix it.  And I'm still waiting to get the right fittings to attach the snubber that JPI sent me for this problem. But overall it's really nice.  

• Like 1

Today found me installing probes and pulling wires.  A label maker is nice to have as the mass of wires can get overwhelming.  JPI makes it pretty easy by labeling most wires; however, most of said labels end up in the avionics bay so I added labels forward of the firewall.  Should make connecting stuff up much quicker and more accurate.

Since OAT and Oil Temp are options, I had to add them to the main connector.

At the same time, I got the BI805 installed for the ACCUTRAK.  Tomorrow I will be plumbing and connecting probes.
IMG_20160908_102052388.jpg

Taking apart the "P1" connector.

IMG_20160908_085625255.jpg
Beginning of the wire pull.

IMG_20160908_090917348.jpg

Drilling for EGT probes

IMG_20160908_092119244.jpg

IMG_20160908_093130370.jpg

CHT

IMG_20160908_095513269_HDR.jpg

JPI Labeling
IMG_20160908_102037982_HDR.jpg

IMG_20160908_102953680.jpg

OAT and OIL Temp added to plug
IMG_20160908_112408211_HDR.jpg

IMG_20160908_112528529.jpg

Edited by Guitarmaster
  • Like 2

I noticed a mark where you are drilling for the EGT probe.  I hope you didn't use pencil.  Somewhere I was told or read that you shouldn't use pencil on exhaust manifolds as their is some type of interaction between the pencil lead and the metal and will lead to cracks.  If anybody can verify this or tell me old wives tales please correct me. 

Not heard of that one...   

1) Pencil lead is mixture of carbon black and clay.  Carbon is probably not the issue.  

2) potential of scratching the pipe surface may not be very good regarding stress multipliers...

3) That part of the pipe gets so hot there isn't much stress left on the red hot surface....

The installation procedure for the device probably has this information.  JPI has their manuals online.  See if they have the install details.

PP only, my pipes were drilled at the factory.

Best regards,

-a-

20 minutes ago, Mark89114 said:

I noticed a mark where you are drilling for the EGT probe.  I hope you didn't use pencil.  Somewhere I was told or read that you shouldn't use pencil on exhaust manifolds as their is some type of interaction between the pencil lead and the metal and will lead to cracks.  If anybody can verify this or tell me old wives tales please correct me. 

Have never heard that.  Anyway, it's a grease marking "pencil."