M20K 252 Filters

gsxrpilot

Just back from Burning Man, I want/need to change all the filters in my 252.  I've ordered an engine air filter. (Thanks Lance for the numbers). But what other filters are there that I should change. I need to change the filter on the vacuum system. But is there only one, or is there maybe two filters there? Is there any filter for cabin air or is that just a direct duct?  I'll go see an A&P tomorrow about this, but would like to be somewhat informed on the subject prior.

Thanks!

One vacuum filter per pump. http://www.aircraftspruce.com/catalog/inpages/Inline_airfilter.php?clickkey=3946

If you have a backup, which you probably do, then another filter. No cabin air filter.

Maybe a garter filter that goes around the filter for the vacuum instruments (http://www.aircraftspruce.com/catalog/inpages/rapcofilter.php?clickkey=6493). Other than an oil filter that should be it.

• Like 1

• 2 years later...
Hi [mention=11970]gsxrpilot[/mention].  Did you mean that metal engine inlet filter housing in front of the turbo ?  If so, where did you find that ?

With the engine air filter you need to find out what you have their now. Many of us have upgraded the OEM paper filter with the re-usable K&N filter you clean with their solution and then re-charge with their oil. So check first. All available from Spruce.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

56 minutes ago, kortopates said:

With the engine air filter you need to find out what you have their now. Many of us have upgraded the OEM paper filter with the re-usable K&N filter you clean with their solution and then re-charge with their oil. So check first. All available from Spruce.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I think he was just talking about the vacuum inlet and regulator filters, no the engine air filter

Edit: oops, I saw you were replying to @Airways instead.  As an aside, does everyone using the Challenger K&N filter have the STC, or is it kind of like the situation with LED landing lights?

2 hours ago, gsxrpilot said:

I think I got it from AircraftSpruce? I don't remember. Let's ask @LANCECASPER

Not sure exactly what he's looking for - but I'd be happy to help

This link shows the standard Mooney consumables:     https://www.aircraftspruce.com/catalog/stpages/mooneyM20standardreplacementparts.php?clickkey=5942

Here's a link to the Challenger (K & N) air filters that Paul Kortopates takes about: https://www.aircraftspruce.com/catalog/eppages/challengerairfilter.php?clickkey=7932

Here's the Challenger application guide: https://www.aircraftspruce.com/catalog/pdf/Challenger Aviation-appguide-2015.pdf

1 hour ago, jaylw314 said:

I think he was just talking about the vacuum inlet and regulator filters, no the engine air filter

Edit: oops, I saw you were replying to @Airways instead.  As an aside, does everyone using the Challenger K&N filter have the STC, or is it kind of like the situation with LED landing lights?

They should all have the STC. Its been over 15 years ago, but I recall the STC came in the box with the filter. Its not like the LEDs though where the same lights is used on virtually every Mooney airframe. The 252/Encore uses a different filter than the 231 since the 231 has a very different (untuned) induction system which is visible from the different cowling. I am sure your J would use yet a different filter as well. I think they're great filters over all and although expensive to purchase, not replacing them every year makes them more economical long term.

1 hour ago, kortopates said:

They should all have the STC. Its been over 15 years ago, but I recall the STC came in the box with the filter. Its not like the LEDs though where the same lights is used on virtually every Mooney airframe. The 252/Encore uses a different filter than the 231 since the 231 has a very different (untuned) induction system which is visible from the different cowling. I am sure your J would use yet a different filter as well. I think they're great filters over all and although expensive to purchase, not replacing them every year makes them more economical long term.

10 minutes ago, M20Doc said:

Donaldson Air filters claim to be better than most.  I’ve noticed that K&N become see through quite quickly.  This can’t do an engine any good.

http://donaldsonaerospace-defense.com/library/files/documents/pdfs/007217.pdf

Clarence

I do have Challenger K&N filter for my M20J, I just thought it was kind of silly to have a 337 for an air filter, but I suppose that is pretty benign in the scheme of things!

I keep one of the K&N recharge kits handy.  I noticed the ICA's for the K&N filter specify that it needs to be rechecked for oil after flying through precipitation, and that it is limited to being reoiled 25 times.  That can detract from it's cost effectiveness, and to make matters worse, it's not always documented in the engine log that the air filter was recharged.  I have a couple annuals in the years before I bought the plane where the annual did not specifically mention changing the air filter, nor can I be confident it wasn't recharged between annuals, so I truly have no exact idea how many times it has been recharged (I'm guessing around 10 so far)...

On 12/10/2018 at 3:15 PM, jaylw314 said:

I do have Challenger K&N filter for my M20J, I just thought it was kind of silly to have a 337 for an air filter, but I suppose that is pretty benign in the scheme of things!

I keep one of the K&N recharge kits handy.  I noticed the ICA's for the K&N filter specify that it needs to be rechecked for oil after flying through precipitation, and that it is limited to being reoiled 25 times.  That can detract from it's cost effectiveness, and to make matters worse, it's not always documented in the engine log that the air filter was recharged.  I have a couple annuals in the years before I bought the plane where the annual did not specifically mention changing the air filter, nor can I be confident it wasn't recharged between annuals, so I truly have no exact idea how many times it has been recharged (I'm guessing around 10 so far)...

Watch your Silicone in your oil analysis for an idea of whether your air filter is loosing its effectiveness or wearing out since it going to go up if its not doing its job. Of course you have to omit recent invasive engine work since that will cause it to spike too. 25 annuals/years (the only time I have needed to service mine) is a long time and probably longer than these will actually hold up.

1 hour ago, kortopates said:

Watch your Silicone in your oil analysis for an idea of whether your air filter is loosing its effectiveness or wearing out since it going to go up if its not doing its job. Of course you have to omit recent invasive engine work since that will cause it to spike too. 25 annuals/years (the only time I have needed to service mine) is a long time and probably longer than these will actually hold up.

I do get silicon in my oil analysis, I was more annoyed by the fact that you are technically required to throw away the Challenger filter after 25 recharges. Since some of those recharges presumably need to be done if you fly through heavy precipitation, the number of recharges might not = the number of annuals.  I'm assuming most people don't bother with counting this...

1 hour ago, jaylw314 said:

I do get silicon in my oil analysis, I was more annoyed by the fact that you are technically required to throw away the Challenger filter after 25 recharges. Since some of those recharges presumably need to be done if you fly through heavy precipitation, the number of recharges might not = the number of annuals.  I'm assuming most people don't bother with counting this...

I would expect not too, and it good to call attention that they do have a limited life span. Although I log it when I service mine, yet I am an "on condition" guy for the vast majority of maintenance with one big exception for magneto maintenance - they get opened annually and every 5 yr/500hrs they get IRAN'd!

Edited by kortopates