Ovation Pitot Heat System

Jerry 5TJ

2000 Ovation Pitot Heat Question

Flying in light icing conditions near Rock Springs WY yesterday with OAT -1C I had pitot heat switched on.  And the TKS in operation.  Everything going fine, the protected areas were clear and ASI normal. 

But after a few minutes I for some reason happened to touch the area under the panel lower edge just above my left leg.  I felt a metal box or bracket that was quite warm, too warm to touch for more than a few seconds, so I guess it was at least 50-60C.  I aimed some air from the left vent at the hot spot.  A few minutes later and out of the clouds I turned off the pitot heat.  The metal cooled off rapidly.

i took a picture of the area.  It is an aluminum bracket with some electrical component bolted on the top, non-visible side.  Anyone know what this is, or have a schematic for the pitot heat?  Is it a thermal switch or current sensor?  And should it be so hot in normal operations?  The part is marked 802338-501 but that is just the metal bracket number.  

image.jpeg

Following that logic...

the large current flowing through the resistance of the diode is generating heat.

A diode is essentially a one way valve for electrons.  It has much higher resistance to electrons flowing one way than the other...

Follow-up question...  What is the purpose of this particular diode, why is a diode being used in this circuit?

There is so much to know about a GA plane...

Best regards,

-a-

The M20R service manual shows a simplified schematic of pitot heat connections.  The PH502-24 pitot assembly is powered through a box called "heat control relay" itself energized by a 20 amp switch-breaker.  Mention is made of lights on the annunciator panel but their connections aren't shown.  

TKS Electrical Schematic.jpg

All this is presumably shown on the system schematic but so far I've found them inscrutable on screen.  I'll have to take the file to Kinkos and have a large print made. 

There is no mention of a diode, nor of why this pitot heat would need a diode in operation. 

Thanks for the part number correction--my typo.  Yes, that is the bracket/ heat sink.  

I will get my head up in there and have a look at this mystery circuit later this week.

Dis you see the note in the lower left corner regarding the dropping resistor to keep the stall vane warm.  That sounds like a source of heat that might be nearby..?

I would have to research if my ship has a heated stall vane...?  Or is that for ships with FIKI TKS?

Best regards,

-a-

The metal bracket which gets warm is the heat sink for a diode bridge.   I managed to get a camera up in there today and got a picture of the component.  You can see the two wires go to the diode bridge.  The diode bridge is NOT shown in the simplified schematic from Mooney.  Aircraft +28V power goes to the bridge, and then to the pitot heat switch.  From the pitot heat switch there are two circuits, one to the pitot and the other to the heated stall warning vane.    It appears to me that the way the bridge is wired there are TWO diode forward drops in the path to both the stall warning heater and the pitot heater.  Two Vf drops in a silicon PN junction is 1.4 to ~1.8 volts depending on current.  The current specification is about 7 A for the pitot heat but I have no info for the stall warn heat.  It could be 10-15 amps total and that times Vf would explain the heat generated.  The stall warn dropping resistor (seen on schematic) is not on this heat sink.

Diode Bridge in Pitot Heat Circuit Sept 2016.jpg

Diodes are often used like this ( one direction of current flow ) to prevent inadvertent energization of other circuits depending on the switching logic used with the relays, especially if that current relay noted for the pitot heat circuit is solid state.  With the bracket and everything else related to this, it is clearly meant to be there and not a band aid fix for some other issue.

3 hours ago, milotron said:

Diodes are often used like this ( one direction of current flow ) to prevent inadvertent energization of other circuits depending on the switching logic used with the relays, especially if that current relay noted for the pitot heat circuit is solid state.  With the bracket and everything else related to this, it is clearly meant to be there and not a band aid fix for some other issue.

To this retired EE the diodes in series with the pitot heat "smells" like a design band-aid.  The PH502 series is available in 12, 24, and 28 volt versions so perhaps Mooney installed the wrong part and patched up that error with diodes?  Maybe the Vf drop vs I curve helps limit inrush to the positive temperature coefficient heating element?  The relay coil is not connected to this circuit, and if it were included for back EMF protection they wouldn't need a beefy diode and heat sink.  Given the temperature of the heat sink bracket I'd take a professional guess that the thermal design is inadequate.  

I will take some V and I measurements on this kluge when I get back to the home aerodrome.  

• 4 years later...
On 5/14/2021 at 7:09 PM, gun986 said:

Did you ever figure this issue out? I have the same thing on my Ovation... oddly enough also figured out in icing over WY. 

Thanks!

Gunnar

No, Gunnar, I never figured out why the diodes are in the circuit, or why the heat sink is inadequate.  

The only time that we notice the hot bracket is in icing conditions with both the pitot and stall warning heat on. 

Perhaps those diodes are to keep the lower part of the instrument panel ice-free?   

• Like 1

36 minutes ago, Jerry 5TJ said:

No, Gunnar, I never figured out why the diodes are in the circuit, or why the heat sink is inadequate.  

The only time that we notice the hot bracket is in icing conditions with both the pitot and stall warning heat on. 

Perhaps those diodes are to keep the lower part of the instrument panel ice-free?   

Hi All,

Thanks for the help with this... I ended up replacing the Diode Bridge but that didn't change the amount of heat that bracket absorbs.  The good news is the instrument panel continues to be ice-free! :D

Edited by gun986