Mooney to St. Pierre & Miquelon

201er

Took a quick weekend trip to St. Pierre and Miquelon. 15 hours flying in 3 days, several ILS approaches in IMC, 3 countries, 5 states/provinces, lobsters, and more.

Nearly hit a flock of seagulls sleeping on the runway in Miquelon. I felt like crap locking up the brakes but I had to think fast cause they just wouldn't take off quick enough. Inches away from hitting a few of them (09:35). Anyway, here's a video summary of some of the flying and approaches involved.

• Like 6

6 hours ago, mike20papa said:

What did you have to pay for 100LL at some of these remote fields?  Looks like a fantastic trip!

Something like 3 bucks. A liter! Only got fuel once and that was at St John's, the turning back point. $4 a gallon at Central Jersey for heading out there.

6 hours ago, BradB said:

Great Video.  Thanks for sharing.  It looked beautiful there.  Was this for business or please?  Worth visiting for fun?

Not business. Took my dad so he could check off traveling to another territory. He's been nearly everywhere. Sure it's interesting but nothing specifically worth going for unless you travel everywhere. A bit of a flying challenge as well.

6 hours ago, flyboy0681 said:

I've only done it a couple of times since I got my IR, but there's nothing better than breaking out and seeing the runway directly in front of you.

You've flown to St Pierre a few times???

6 hours ago, carusoam said:

Looks like a practice run for Iceland!  Next stop: Europe!

Who did you bring along this time?

Best regards,

-a-

Dad and his travel friend. Actually picked them up in Halifax.

6 hours ago, Piloto said:

Nice video. What is the white gadget on top of the glare shield? Next time bring your girl on the trip, I love her smile.

José 

Sagetech Clarity SV for ADSB in for iPad. Works with wingx and now with fltplan go. I have to say, after using fltplan go which has Canadian charts/plates and interfaces with more devices, foreflight is going in the garbage! I'll write up my experience with those a bit later.

• Like 2

Mike--always looking for pireps of good EFB packages! I've not jumped onto the iPad-on-the-yoke bandwagon yet (as I type this on my mini Retina), but do periodically use Avare at home on my aging Samsung tablet, and once or twice on my phone in flight when my trip went just off the edge if the sectional I had.

• 3 weeks later...
27 minutes ago, FBCK said:

Mike how long did the ADSB signal go into Canada, or should I ask before you lost it, a Canadian how also flew to Halifax last summer would like to know ;), might be flying from western Canada to Halifax again next year and may ditch the XM.

Well I flew straight over the water pretty direct so it cut out about 15 miles off shore. That said, I'd say about on the US border is it. I've flown across the Great Lakes regions and pick up US ADSB maybe 30 miles into Canada but rarely further than that. I just called Halifax Radio and picked up weather the old fashioned way.

• 2 months later...

It's been a little while but Claude from St. Pierre got in touch with me and shared photos he snapped when we arrived and departed St. Pierre. So here's a few and the rest are here: https://www.dropbox.com/sh/bd4bm6vntr7nc3m/AADWmVeIgZcC33Y32ao-5pbQa?dl=0

First arrival to St. Pierrea.jpg

b.jpg

d.jpg

2nd arrival to St. Pierrec.jpg

e.jpg

2nd departure from St. Pierref.jpg

g.jpg

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, Hyett6420 said:

Nice pics.   As someone who flies a LOT over water please wear life jackets and since you were north, immersion suits.  If that little motor quits, it will save your lives.  

He has no worries. Apparently he has trained his parrots to fly them to land in case of trouble. 

• Like 1