Age Category Poll

Stetson20

Age Demographic Question  

145 members have voted

1. 1. What age range category do you fall in?

• Under 30
    • 31-40
    • 41-50
    • 51-60
    • 61-70
    • 70+

16 minutes ago, flyboy0681 said:

I wish. I'm now between 55 and 60 with one in still in undergrad and the other one starting his graduate work in a few weeks. They will be on the family dole for years to come. I envy all of you whose kids are 1) no longer on the auto policy, 2) no longer on the healthcare policy, 3) no longer on the cell phone plan and 4) no longer require transfer of funds from my checking account to theirs.

Even though I could  probably afford it, I refuse to allow my kids to be on the dole. There is always a way for them to pay for their own education without taking onerous student loans, including ROTC and state sponsored  scholarships like the Hope here in Georgia. IMO it works out  better for the kids and I know it's way more beneficial for my retirement planning!

• Like 1

Just now, Bravoman said:

Even though I could  probably afford it, I refuse to allow my kids to be on the dole. There is always a way for them to pay for their own education without taking onerous student loans, including ROTC and state sponsored  scholarships like the Hope here in Georgia. IMO it works out  better for the kids and I know it's way more beneficial for my retirement planning!

Oh if it were only that simple. Not every kid is scholarship material. Here in Florida we do have Bright Futures (similar to Hope), but it only paid a fraction of tuition for my oldest. And graduate school is a completely different beast. I'm figuring $50k per year all in, now what kind of student could afford that, even if they worked a part time job? 

I agree that times have changed and the cost of education has far outstripped  inflation. I went  to the University of Florida from 1979 to 1984, and looking back on it I think that the total cost of my undergraduate education  all in, including room and board and books since I lived a student co op after the dorms was about 15k. That's probably 45-50k  in today's dollars. 

4 minutes ago, Bravoman said:

I agree that times have changed and the cost of education has far outstripped  inflation. I went  to the University of Florida from 1979 to 1984, and looking back on it I think that the total cost of my undergraduate education  all in, including room and board and books since I lived a student co op after the dorms was about 15k. That's probably 45-50k  in today's dollars. 

Things have changed dramatically. I went to City University of New York at the same time that you attended UF, and it didn't cost a penny to New York city residence at the time. My how things have changed.

• Like 1

I put 6 kids through the colleges/universities of their choice...it's called going broke by degree.  :(

While I resented the highway robbery of the tuition and required books scam, what really bothers me in retrospect was what they were "taught" and what they were never taught.  These weren't community colleges; they were supposedly "good schools".  Wait until your daughters come home filled with the fruits of "women's studies" and all the other social engineering crap!  Wait until your sons come home and explain what they were taught about Viet Nam and other revisionist history!

Higher education is more brain washing than education.  YMMV

• Like 4

3 minutes ago, Mooneymite said:

I put 6 kids through the colleges/universities of their choice...it's called going broke by degree.  :(

While I resented the highway robbery of the tuition and required books scam, what really bothers me in retrospect was what they were "taught" and what they were never taught.  These weren't community colleges; they were supposedly "good schools".  Wait until your daughters come home filled with the fruits of "women's studies" and all the other social engineering crap!  Wait until your sons come home and explain what they were taught about Viet Nam and other revisionist history!

Higher education is more brain washing than education.  YMMV

Not just higher education. We have had a few high school age exchange students over the years. About three years ago we had one from Germany and she came home from school one day asking questions about Roosevelt's New Deal that they were studying. I gave her my take on it from a conservative standpoint, and she did poorly on the assignment. She came home and told my wife how she did on the assignment and my wife said, "You can listen to Richard but don't answer the questions that way, answer them the way the teacher wants them..." Dang liberal teachers... 

• Like 2

I taught at the University for 15 yrs or so and had to quit due to the liberal bias. We need to form our children the best of our ability prior to them leaving the nest then hope the people they encounter at the beginning of there college days doesn't ruin it all, so much depends on who they associate with on the onset of there college days.

• Like 3

15 minutes ago, BDPetersen said:

Here's a derailed thread.

Except that for the prime ages (apparently) of Mooney ownership, we seem to have the cost of higher education competing with the "much more important" issue of supporting our Mooneys.  If we can possibly justify not paying for colleges because they are terrible values, we will have much more money for Mooney up-grades.

B)

If your kids want "higher education", let them read a book while flying at 9500'.  :P

Edited by Mooneymite
  • Like 2

Well to keep the thread derailed.

My daughter graduated college 6 years ago paid for it herself.  She stayed home for the majority of it that helps keep costs down and had some loans.  I have excellent public and private universities within commute distance <20 miles so that takes the room and board factor off the table and lightening the load significantly.

My son is experiencing the college scene now.

Having, them pay their own way with some assistance from mom and dad teaches them to appreciate what they get and to be proud of the fact that they achieved it themselves albeit with some help.

The same was true for their vehicles they bought, maintained and fed them with their own money.  I would work on them anytime to eliminate labor costs but they supported their habits.

I was brought up the same way.

Fully paying their way through college and not having to work if it is doable and that is the path you choose great I'm sure the kids will still turn out good because you have still set a good example for them.  Especially flying and owning a Mooney.:)

• Like 2

9 minutes ago, 1964-M20E said:

My daughter graduated college 6 years ago paid for it herself.  She stayed home for the majority of it that helps keep costs down and had some loans.  I have excellent public and private universities within commute distance <20 miles so that takes the room and board factor off the table and lightening the load significantly.

Having, them pay their own way with some assistance from mom and dad teaches them to appreciate what they get and to be proud of the fact that they achieved it themselves albeit with some help.

The same was true for their vehicles they bought, maintained and fed them with their own money.  I would work on them anytime to eliminate labor costs but they supported their habits.

Fully paying their way through college and not having to work if it is doable and that is the path you choose great I'm sure the kids will still turn out good because you have still set a good example for them.  Especially flying and owning a Mooney.:)

Exactly!

30 minutes ago, 1964-M20E said:

.... you have still set a good example for them. 

Ha.  They overcame the bad influence of their universities, but none of them seem to have been able to shake off the bad genes and influence of their dad.

Two of them sank really low.  They're pilots.  :ph34r:

• Like 3

1 hour ago, 1964-M20E said:

That's how i did it. Scholarships and summer jobs, didn't live in commuting distance  (~4hours' driving each way). Taught me independence,  too. 

Didn't go to grad school for a while. When I did, I was working full time and the company paid for everything except books and driving. Oh, and that's when I finally took flight lessons. Work during the day, go to school at night, learn to fly on the weekends. 

• Like 1

Nice bell shaped curve there.  

I have a three year old.  Cost of college is frightening now.  Image what it will be in 2032. The value of higher education for the dollar is more scary.  

I did work study during undergrad and I went full ride for my graduate degrees.  All at a public university.  I probably wouldn't have done grad school had it not been paid for.   

-Brad

Just now, flyboy0681 said:

Everybody is making me out as a fool for paying for my kids college.

No, not everyone.  I put my 6 through 4 years, (though some had scholarships, or some other type of benefit).  My wife and I explained to them early on:  if they did well in grade/high school, scored well on the SAT's and got into good schools, we would pay their tuition and board.  Spending money and cars would be on them.  They did their part...I was stuck, but it was a good "stuck".  I don't think that kids should get a free ride through school, but being able to work at their studies has some benefits too.  Mine are all grown/gone....it didn't seem to do them any damage.  I was happy they could all start life debt-free.

3 minutes ago, flyboy0681 said:

Everybody is making me out as a fool for paying for my kids college. It wasn't like this when we boomers went off to school in the 70's. How could my son possibly pay his own way through grad school at $50k plus plus plus per year?

I don't think that anybody is saying or thinking that. All of this is a matter of personal preference and opinion.  I have plenty of friends who  totally disagree with my way of thinking. I respect them for theirs.

10 minutes ago, flyboy0681 said:

Everybody is making me out as a fool for paying for my kids college. It wasn't like this when we boomers went off to school in the 70's. How could my son possibly pay his own way through grad school at $50k plus plus plus per year?

Not really my daughter went to college in 1990 it was quite a burden but I provided the complete cost it  turned out to be the best money I ever spent. It was my duty to provide a quality education, our parents could not afford it nor did they understand the necessity of obtaining advanced dagree(s). How times have changed.

35 minutes ago, Danb said:

How times have changed.

Amen, brother! I was shocked when i moved bsck in 2014 to see what college costs.... my last quarter was just over $400 tuition, and  I lived in a roach pit fir $110/month. 

The official annual estimate for 2014 was $42,000!! Half decent apartments were $750/month and up, and our glorious leaders have mixed welfare cases in with college students in the name of "fairness," leading to culture clash, misunderstandings, anger, fights and shootings. Holy mother of God!! Glad I got through during the sensible '80s . .  

• Like 1