Austin Area Hangars

Is anyone familiar with the airports/hangar situation in the Austin, TX area?  There's a good chance I will be moving there from Los Angeles in the next two months and I'd like to get a jump on finding a new home for my bird.

Any help would be greatly appreciated!

-Don

It depends on where you will live and how far you're willing to go to get to your plane. I live in South Austin and keep my plane at San Marcos, KHYI. It's about a 20 minute drive except from 4pm on when it's over an hour. You can check with Skyport at KHYI, they might have space. Expect to pay about $0.40 sq ft/month.

There are hangers available at 84R (Smithville) but it's an hour east of Austin. Of course plenty of people buy homes in Bastrop and work in Austin. Bastrop is only 15 easy minutes from 84R.

There are also several airport communities in the greater Austin area with homes and hangars available for purchase.

Just make note that Austin traffic is terrible and so choose where you live wisely. It's best to live very close to where you will work to save hours of commuting time every day.

• Like 1

Georgetown is probably 3-4 year wait, Taylor has a wait, San Marcos has a wait, I believe Austin Bergstrom has a wait, don't know about Executive. We have a serious Hangar shortage around here but something usually pops up at the FBO's from time to time so check often. Prepare to pay 350-600 around here. I second the rate of .40 per foot per month at a community style hangar in San Marcos as gsxr and I are at same place. Wish you luck. 

• 1 year later...

Since it appears that new pilots in Austin have to bum at whatever corner for months or years, does anyone have experience with community hangars? Several FBOs offer those. My biggest concern is a lineman repositioning the airplane and bending the front tower. I was told it's a serious issue with Mooneys. Has this happened to someone at KEDC or KGTU?

I'm at KHYI and have never had a problem or worried about it. I did have a talk with the manager when I moved in on this very subject and was happy to hear I wasn't the only Mooney in their hangars and they were all very aware about the issue of towing Mooneys. I still took the time to build a relationship with the line guys so they all know me, my airplane, and the concern about towing it. Finally, I always close the cowl flaps on my 252 so the turn limit markings are clearly displayed to the person towing. And I've pointed them out to the line guys.

All of that and a good insurance policy, MIGHT cover the risk.

1 hour ago, zaitcev said:

Since it appears that new pilots in Austin have to bum at whatever corner for months or years, does anyone have experience with community hangars? Several FBOs offer those. My biggest concern is a lineman repositioning the airplane and bending the front tower. I was told it's a serious issue with Mooneys. Has this happened to someone at KEDC or KGTU?

If we do not move to Wilmington we will retire to Austin. KEDC has T-hangars for $495/mo--ouch, but it is only 20 minutes from our place in Hyde Park. I think either KEDC or Henriksen got sued (or threatened) because the first time I landed there I told them to be careful about the nose gear and they were very adamant about 'knowing how to tow' Mooneys. I still tell them (and all other linemen) to be careful anyway. The Mistress has her original nose (gear) and it is as blemish free as the day she was made 52 years ago. Vigilance.

• Like 2

On 9/24/2017 at 1:56 PM, HRM said:

If we do not move to Wilmington we will retire to Austin. KEDC has T-hangars for $495/mo--ouch, but it is only 20 minutes from our place in Hyde Park. I think either KEDC or Henriksen got sued (or threatened) because the first time I landed there I told them to be careful about the nose gear and they were very adamant about 'knowing how to tow' Mooneys.

I gave Henriksen's a call, but the FBO lady said they don't have space in the community hangar, at least not for a Mooney. There is a tie-down available for $125/month. I'm looking into Smithville and Burnet at this point. Not had it this bad with hangars since I escaped San Francisco in 2001.

Edited by zaitcev

1 hour ago, zaitcev said:

I gave Henriksen's a call, but the FBO lady said they don't have space in the community hangar, at least not for a Mooney. There is a tie-down available for $125/month. I'm looking into Smithville and Burnet at this point. Not had it this bad with hangars since I escaped San Francisco in 2001.

You'll be right behind me on the list at Smithville. The good news is there is an excellent Mooney shop on the field now. SWTA has moved (hopefully last time) and settled in to run the FBO and Maintenance hangar at Smithville. For me, that is reason enough to base there.

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

I ended putting the Mooney into a community hangar at San Marcos, with RedBird SkyPort. It's expensive and has a few disadvantages of the community hangar, in particular I have to trust RedBird people not to bend the front tower. But there was no other option.

Bob M. let me park Carlson in his hangar at Lago Vista. I talked him into it by claiming that Calson is a little single-seater and I only needed a corner. In my defense, I really thought that. But when we pushed it in, we found that my wingspan is the same as Bob's TriPacer has. Honestly I hoped to stuff Mooney there too, eventually, but it was packed already. Every time I want to fly Carlson, I have to wheel out 2 other airplanes that are closer to the door.

11 hours ago, zaitcev said:

I ended putting the Mooney into a community hangar at San Marcos, with RedBird SkyPort. It's expensive and has a few disadvantages of the community hangar, in particular I have to trust RedBird people not to bend the front tower. But there was no other option.

Bob M. let me park Carlson in his hangar at Lago Vista. I talked him into it by claiming that Calson is a little single-seater and I only needed a corner. In my defense, I really thought that. But when we pushed it in, we found that my wingspan is the same as Bob's TriPacer has. Honestly I hoped to stuff Mooney there too, eventually, but it was packed already. Every time I want to fly Carlson, I have to wheel out 2 other airplanes that are closer to the door.

The guys at Skyport are great and they've never dinged my Mooney. It was nice to just call them up as I was on the way to the airport and have them bring her around. It's also nice to toss them the keys to my car and have them park it while I just climb in and take off. And we'd often be gone for weeks at a time. The fuel is expensive, but also very convenient.  

I'll let you know if anything opens up out at Smithville.

• 1 year later...
54 minutes ago, faulknerwn said:

I know this is an old thread, but Salado Airport is in the process of being developed and hangars will be available for purchase if people want a long-term solution.

Salado Airport

Nice.  Looks like a good plan for the airport.  I know some guys that would like to do the same thing it appears they are doing in Salado but in NW Houston.  Wish it were closer.

Russ

Good question. I live 42 miles from my hangar. And it would probably be too far except for the fact that SWTA is on the field which makes maintenance super convenient. And I have a very nice hangar there for a very reasonable cost. There are no hangars any closer. And my in-laws live out there... actually that might not be in the "pro's" column. ;)

• Haha 1

Maybe not in the Pro side, but surely some man points awarded by the wife?

So you live in Austin. Austin International I would guess is roughly the same time frame to get to San Marcos? Maybe 10 minutes less?

Edited by Mcstealth

It's true there are days I get to hang out at the airport because the wife wants to spend the day with her mom.

From my house to:

KAUS - 6 minutes - hangar available $700/month, allow hangar owner to use the Mooney, plus all the TSA bull shit

San Marcos - 25 min - gang hangar, no access to airplane in hangar, only after pull out on the ramp - $350/month (must buy $5.50 fuel from hangar vendor)

Smithville - 45 min - I own the hangar free and clear, SWTA on the field (JD has a key to my hangar).

• Like 1