Landing/Taxi Light Suggestions

jcollier

I have seen a couple of different threads regarding landing/taxi lights.  I would like to hear what others have found that works well regarding Whelen LEDs vs OEM replacements vs any others like boombeam/lopresti XeVision etc...

I would prefer LED, but I would prefer to see more than having LEDs. 

Thanks

-Joshua

I replaced all of my GE bulbs with Whelen Parmetheus Plus LEDs last year at annual.  Anything was better than the GEs but since I can't compare them to anything else (other than the old GE filaments), all I can say is that they're better and now I leave my landing light on all the time (mostly).  Plus I now use the taxi light switch as the "cleared to land" reminder. 

Edited by carqwik
  • Like 1

I have the BoomBeam HID lights installed for the landing lights. They are very bright and work well. I recently replaced the taxi lamps with Prometheus  Plus LED like carqwik.

BTW, carqwik, what a great idea to switch on the Taxi lights when you’re cleared to land, or on your last GUMPS (S for switches) check. That one is going on to my checklist tonight.

DVA

• Like 2

58 minutes ago, DVA said:

I have the BoomBeam HID lights installed for the landing lights. They are very bright and work well. I recently replaced the taxi lamps with Prometheus  Plus LED like carqwik.

BTW, carqwik, what a great idea to switch on the Taxi lights when you’re cleared to land, or on your last GUMPS (S for switches) check. That one is going on to my checklist tonight.

DVA

DVA,

I read somewhere that the BoomBeam HID required some modifications or something....is that true?  If not, can you change it yourself or need your A&P to do it?  

Btw, either of you know what the Prometheus Plus LED part no is?  DVA, do you know what the BoomBeam part no is?  I wouldn't mind trying out your setup.  I like the idea of super bright Landing lights and Taxi lights that everyone else can see me well....  The Prometheus Plus is the PAR 46 5 3/4", right?  Model P46P2L, maybe?  

Thanks guys.

Edited by jcollier

Here’s what was in the Aircraft Log book when the Lopressi system was installed, it was before I owned the aircraft.  I think there is some extra work to do, and its a major repair thus a 337 filing.  These HID lights are much brighter than the LED, even the newer ones, and they last a long time.  I’ll go dig up the taxi light PN for you, and since they are Plug n Play you can do these yourself with your own log entry under 14 CFR Part 43 (A)[C] owner maintenance.

DVA

Screen Shot 2016-08-28 at 11.13.46 PM.jpg

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, DVA said:

Here’s what was in the Aircraft Log book when the Lopressi system was installed, it was before I owned the aircraft.  I think there is some extra work to do, and its a major repair thus a 337 filing.  These HID lights are much brighter than the LED, even the newer ones, and they last a long time.  I’ll go dig up the taxi light PN for you, and since they are Plug n Play you can do these yourself with your own log entry under 14 CFR Part 43 (A)[C] owner maintenance.

DVA

Screen Shot 2016-08-28 at 11.13.46 PM.jpg

Thanks so much DVA!!

2 hours ago, DVA said:

DVA

It is a great idea.   I usually file IFR.  So the Landing light goes on when cleared for the approach and the taxi light goes on when cleared to land.  My transition instructor got me into the habit.

• Like 1

The lights in the Bravos are PAR36s...don't remember the exact part numbers of the Whelens but I purchased mine through Knots2u and had them shipped to Top Gun for install...was about 1 AMU.

With the LED lights, I just leave the landing lights on from takeoff to landing if doing VFR flights or most IFR flights within the denser air traffic corridors out here.  (It's generally clear here most of the time in the desert Southwest.)  The lights will probably last longer than me!

• Like 1

On 8/29/2016 at 5:58 PM, rogerl said:

LANCECASPER seems to have tried both whelen and aeroled, see here he mentions his experience

I did try both Whelen Parmetheus and AEROLED and for the money AEROLED was far better.

On the airplane I have now ('93 TLS) I decided not to spend $1000+ on 4 landing/taxi lights. I found some very bright PAR36 lights that are drop-in replacements. I kept my old incandescents on the shelf just in case an over-zealous mechanic decides the LED's shouldn't be there. They are $69.99 each, 279.96 for all four.I kept reminding myself, "I'm using them to land, not to weld." They are plenty bright.

landing lights

http://www.ebay.com/itm/LED-Landing-Light-14-28V-PAR-36-FREE-SHIPPING-WITHIN-U-S-/112042221702?hash=item1a163ca086:g:n10AAOSwAvJW~FhR&vxp=mtr

taxi lights

http://www.ebay.com/itm/LED-Taxi-Recognition-light-14-28V-PAR-36-FREE-SHIPPING-WITHIN-U-S-/112042219796?hash=item1a163c9914:g:PF0AAOSwwpdW~FoM&vxp=mtr

• Like 1

1 hour ago, LANCECASPER said:

I did try both Whelen Parmetheus and AEROLED and for the money AEROLED was far better.

On the airplane I have now ('93 TLS) I decided not to spend $1000+ on 4 landing/taxi lights. I found some very bright PAR36 lights that are drop-in replacements. I kept my old incandescents on the shelf just in case an over-zealous mechanic decides the LED's shouldn't be there. They are $69.99 each, 279.96 for all four.I kept reminding myself, "I'm using them to land, not to weld." They are plenty bright.

landing lights

http://www.ebay.com/itm/LED-Landing-Light-14-28V-PAR-36-FREE-SHIPPING-WITHIN-U-S-/112042221702?hash=item1a163ca086:g:n10AAOSwAvJW~FhR&vxp=mtr

taxi lights

http://www.ebay.com/itm/LED-Taxi-Recognition-light-14-28V-PAR-36-FREE-SHIPPING-WITHIN-U-S-/112042219796?hash=item1a163c9914:g:PF0AAOSwwpdW~FoM&vxp=mtr

Lance,I am sorry if you already mentioned this. But is the AeroLED a straight drop in replacement? 

Thanks, Frank

The current Whelen lights are Parmetheus Plus...supposedly 40% better (not sure how that's measured) than the original Parmetheus LEDs.  The ones on eBay are from Aero-Lites....not FAA approved though.  On Amazon for $10 more...

https://www.amazon.com/Aero-Lites-Replacement-Landing-Light-PAR-36/dp/B01GQRBLX0

• Like 1