Cash for demo

jerryg324

Hey fellow Mooniacs...  I own a 231 with the merlyn waste gate, but no intercooler...  I'm near overhaul time and would love to get a demo ride in a 231 with the intercooler so I can decide if it's worth the money to add at overhaul...  I would be happy to pay for time and fuel even throw in one of those "hundred dollar hamburgers"...

Think of it this way...there is an upgrade for the 231 engine to add the intercooler, the 252 came standard with an intercooler, the TLS/Bravo came standard with an intercooler, and the Acclaim comes standard with two intercoolers (IIRC).  Yea, probably worth the upgrade....

• Like 1

For what it's worth, I have a 231 set up as yours is now; Merlyn but no intercooler.  A friend of mine even gave me a TurboPlus intercooler for the airplane but I haven't installed it yet - that was a couple of years ago.  I know all modern turbocharged airplanes come with an intercooler and I'm aware of the decrease in intake air temps, the decreased chance of detonation, etc.  In 3 years of owning this airplane I have never had a detonation issue and my CDT has gotten as high at 250F (275F is redline).

While I think I would like the intercooler installed, even the people at TurboPlus can't give me a good reason to do it.  The data they have, which is precious little, doesn't show a great temperature drop across the system.  In some cases the temps are equal or higher after installation.  Granted, the before and after flights would have been done under different air temperatures so readings would change accordingly, but they just weren't convincing enough to spend the money to buy the STC and pay for install.

I would be interested in feedback from others who have experience with before and after readings with their own airplane. Like the original poster, if I could get definitive information that adding that system would make a difference I would do it.