have you purchased a hangar recently?

Guest Mike261

23 minutes ago, Marauder said:

Did I mention that prospective buyers have to be able to sing all 60 verses of "Dixie" from memory?  They think that will keep both Yankees and memory deficient old-timers out.  :lol:

Yee Haw! Can't wait to have me some grits and collared greens!

emoji38.png

Them's "collard greens," they're the leaves on collard plants, they ain't wearing shirts with collars and they ain't been caught by the Po-leese.

Come on down, well be nice to ya seein's how you fly a nice air plane.

• Like 1

28 minutes ago, Mooneymite said:

Yes.  That is correct.  It is both a hangar and a garage, but completely open on one side.  The original plan was for a stand alone hangar to be added along the taxiway, but the owner was satisfied with the plane port and never got around to building the stand alone hangar.

Did I mention that prospective buyers have to be able to sing all 60 verses of "Dixie" from memory?  They think that will keep both Yankees and memory deficient old-timers out.  :lol:

That there plane port could be fully enclosed and painted in a weekend--if I had a job in Peachtree City or Griffin, could find a job for Deborah too and a buyer for our house here by the lake . . . Doesn't your HOA help Mooney pilots relocate there and find jobs???

• Like 2

On 8/31/2016 at 7:09 PM, Hank said:

That there plane port could be fully enclosed and painted in a weekend--if I had a job in Peachtree City or Griffin, could find a job for Deborah too and a buyer for our house here by the lake . . . Doesn't your HOA help Mooney pilots relocate there and find jobs???

Hank, this one just went up for sale in our neighborhood.  60X100 brick hangar.  On a taxiway/runway access.

http://www.zillow.com/homedetails/31-Teal-Ct-Locust-Grove-GA-30248/14912893_zpid/

23 hours ago, Mooneymite said:

Hank, this one just went up for sale in our neighborhood.  60X100 brick hangar.  On a taxiway/runway access.

http://www.zillow.com/homedetails/31-Teal-Ct-Locust-Grove-GA-30248/14912893_zpid/

Almost freaky inexpensive property in the U.S. relatively speaking.   In Toronto, that price would get you a 300-350 sq ft high rise "studio" condo unit..  And unless something's changed, you guys also get to tax deduct your mortgage interest.  In Canada it's all after tax $$.

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, Cyril Gibb said:

Almost freaky inexpensive property in the U.S. relatively speaking.   In Toronto, that price would get you a 300-350 sq ft high rise "studio" condo unit..  And unless something's changed, you guys also get to tax deduct your mortgage interest.  In Canada it's all after tax $$.

It's very much location dependent. This ad also says that the house needs work . . .

Where I live out in the country, this amount will buy a 3 bed / 2 bath house ~2000 ft^2 on a few acres. Or an empty 1/4 acre lot on the lake, if you can find one for sale. In the northeast, it won't buy much if anything. I had a serious job interview 30 minutes from Newark Airport, homes in decent (safe) neighborhoods, a little smaller than this, another hour away, were $350,000 and up. Since I was given the choice, I took it and moved from WV back to the South.

3 hours ago, Cyril Gibb said:

Cyril,

i think that they get to write off mortgage interest but pay capital gains tax, where ours is the reverse.  But you're sure right about the pricing.

Clarence

3 hours ago, M20Doc said:

Cyril,

i think that they get to write off mortgage interest but pay capital gains tax, where ours is the reverse.  But you're sure right about the pricing.

Clarence

Yep. Mortgage interest is deductible, but we pay capital gains when we sell if over $250,000 in gains. Used to be in all gains, and had to keep receipts on all improvements to remove them from the taxable gain.

What does land & homes a two-hour drive out from Toronto sell for in comparison?

• 2 weeks later...

Spruce Creek is very nice, but it isn't for everyone.  Happily, there are lots of very nice fly-in communities to choose from.  My wife and I looked at several and her approval was paramont, so "nice" is important for your marriage.  ;)

There are also some fly-in "communites" which are nothing more than a collection of hangars, if you want your plane to live in, but your wife doesn't want to live with it. :ph34r:

• Like 2

Just now, Wildhorsesracing said:

We have been looking at airparks ever since to retire to someday.

Be sure to consider all the details carefully.  Talk to people who already live in an airpark (probably not the people trying to sell you their home!).  Basic stuff like "who owns the runway?", "who pays to pave the roads?", "Is the common property covered by insurance?" all need to be discovered prior to letting your wife "love" the place.

• Like 2

Just now, Mooneymite said:

Be sure to consider all the details carefully.  Talk to people who already live in an airpark (probably not the people trying to sell you their home!).  Basic stuff like "who owns the runway?", "who pays to pave the roads?", "Is the common property covered by insurance?" all need to be discovered prior to letting your wife "love" the place.

Definitely, we actually did a "surprise visit" last month to one just to meet folks not in the sales department.  Met some of the nicest folks but realized that the airpark was more of a shared community - in that everyone gets a day to mow part of the runway, common areas, etc.  But have heard horror stories where the runway was sold after all the houses were built and the owner wanted more $$$.

• Like 1

Just now, Wildhorsesracing said:

But have heard horror stories ....

There's a small fly in community not too far from where I am that is part of a much larger community.  Turns out the "community-at-large" basically hates airplane noise and does everything it can to make life miserable.  But it shows well and the location is nice.....

Caveat Emptor.

15 minutes ago, manoflamancha said:

A hangar home on an airpark is my long term dream as well. Nothing beats taxi and take off from your place without the need to drive to an airport. Unfortunately, these are few and far between in CA, NV, OR and AZ and super expensive.

Well, when the Navy pulls out of North Island, I understand it will be converted into a fly-in community.  Lots will sell for about $250/acre, but there will be "bargain days" for Navy vets.....Air Force guys will pay a "Sir charge".  :lol:

They'll use the Coronado for the FBO.

• Like 2

• 1 year later...
On 8/28/2016 at 9:44 AM, N803RM said:

Property taxes are about $220.00 a year.

Current rent for county hangers is about $185.00 a month for a T hanger, plus property taxes.

Ron

Who do you pay property taxes to?  In many places in CA hangars are not considered “real property.” And May be exempt.