have you purchased a hangar recently?

Guest Mike261

7 hours ago, mooniac15u said:

That retaining wall looks like an unfortunate necessity. I would probably hit a wingtip on something like that while trying to turn the plane around. 

Didn't plan on needing a retaining wall but after grading we had to.  It angles away from the entrance so hopefully I can keep the wing tips clear.

My son keeps his Cherokee at CTJ which is about 15 miles away.  He has (free) access to an air conditioned hanger so he says he's not moving his plane to my hanger.  He will probably put his ski boat in the hanger though!

Lee

• Like 2

14 hours ago, Danb said:
6 hours ago, Hyett6420 said:

Or even better have one's staff bring the aircraft out for you, turned facing the correct way with one's bags packed correctly in the hold.  

Am I the only one who doesn't want other people moving my plane around. If my plane gets dinged, I prefer to know it was me who did it.

• Like 3

28 minutes ago, Wildhorsesracing said:

My wife and I have been looking at airparks lately since our plan is to downsize in 5 yrs or so.  There is usually more flexibility in hangar size and expense in an airpark.  Why build a hangar on government land when you can own it all?

I've drooled over air parks, but have yet to see one where the housing requirements would qualify as "downsizing." Or "affordable" either, even without including the hangar . . .

33 minutes ago, Hank said:

I've drooled over air parks, but have yet to see one where the housing requirements would qualify as "downsizing." Or "affordable" either, even without including the hangar . . .

There are lots of affordable airparks in the country, but it's all about location, location, location. The low cost ones get you excited until you see where they are. The airpark home of your dreams is pretty much like a load of other people's dreams, so the prices reflect that, but if you just want to live on an airpark, any airpark, there are some very affordable ones out there.

• Like 1

52 minutes ago, Hank said:

How much would you be spending on hangar rent? Thats how much you would be able to add to a house note, if you had to. 

• Like 1

33 minutes ago, Hank said: I've drooled over air parks, but have yet to see one where the housing requirements would qualify as "downsizing." Or "affordable" either, even without including the hangar . . .

There are lots of affordable airparks in the country, but it's all about location, location, location. The low cost ones get you excited until you see where they are. The airpark home of your dreams is pretty much like a load of other people's dreams, so the prices reflect that, but if you just want to live on an airpark, any airpark, there are some very affordable ones out there.

Where would someone find information on these?

Most like Spruce don't have community hangars, so if not on the runway, then you have to tie down.

On August 28, 2016 at 0:44 PM, N803RM said:

I own a hanger at a small airport in CA.  My rent is per square foot, equal to the outside tie down rate. I have a ten year lease, that renews with some changes every ten years.  the County can have me move the hanger to another location, at there expense, or by me out, under conditions. I don't see either happening with my location, some others could be at risk though, but since the airport is doing very little growing, doubt it.

I paid $20,0000 for a 42' wide, 36' deep box hanger about 9+  years ago.  Maintenance is lubricating the doors occasionally and I will replace the white sun roof panels this year, they are probably 30 years old.   Ground lease is currently $63.90 and may go up yearly.   Property taxes are about $220.00 a year.

Current rent for county hangers is about $185.00 a month for a T hanger, plus property taxes.

Ron

My deal at Kryy which is just north of Atl is similar. I payed about 53k for a hangar the same size back in 2011. Lease is with both county and FBO. Very few T hangars on field and I was lucky to get it. The lease runs thru 2032 and rentals, if available,  run a minimum of 450 per month. The FBO gets 450-500 for the gang hangars. I can sell the remainder of my lease w/o restriction so I figure all things considered I can't get hurt too bad. My rental at PDK ( which is in Atlanta)  is 481 per month but it is larger, brand new and has electric bi-fold doors.

Frank

8 hours ago, DaV8or said:

He is right, within an hour's flight of me there are a dozen or so airstrips that range from elegant to affordable.  We are currently talking with one that allows hangars with apartments as long as the apartment is at least 1800sf, which is easy to do as a second story in a hangar.  My wife and I are trying to stay in the Carolinas so we are using this website for reference (NC Airparks ) but I am sure there is probably a similar realtor's website in your area.

13 hours ago, Hank said:

In WV, it was $100; now it's $200. Not much of a house payment.

So if you didn't have to pay $200 (or 300.. or 500...) a month in hangar rent you could ADD that $200 (or 300 or 500..) to a budgeted house payment? Right? Operative word was ADD...

On a 30 year note, at 3% interest, $200 extra a month gets you another $47k in mortgage. At $500 a month extra gets you another $118k in mortgage. And you get to keep the hangar when the note is done (as opposed to many airport land leases)

• Like 1

37 minutes ago, Doggtyred said:

On a 30 year note, at 3% interest, $200 extra a month gets you another $47k in mortgage. At $500 a month extra gets you another $118k in mortgage. And you get to keep the hangar when the note is done (as opposed to many airport land leases)

Most people no longer owe 30 years on their mortgage.  I would suspect the average Mooney owner owes a lot less than other groups of people.  My question is if the above really reflects the amount you could expect to spend on your own hangar to break even?

You would be very hard pressed to build much of a hangar for $118K in some areas of the country whether you own the property or lease unless you are willing to add sweat equity to this equation.  My last hangar was built with a large amount of sweat equity and still cost about $100K 15 years ago.  It is 50x 45 with a 48x45 add on to the side.  A 42' bifold door in addition to 10x10 side roll up door were added.  The back 50x 10 was turned into a 2 story one bedroom apartment with living room, kitchen, bath, laundry, office, tool and generator room.  I added the two part epoxy floor covering system over the concrete to dress it all up.  Would have been very easy and comfortable to live there for one or 2 people.  Really wish I still had it now.  Paying $585/month now for a standard t-hangar with no additional services.  

Owning your own hangar is REALLY nice but it takes planning and commitment.  The wife and I are traveling to Daytona in September to look at homes in Spruce Creek and a few other places.  We missed a great opportunity on a lake front air park home on Lake Clinch a few months ago.  Retirement is not to far out and we want to embrace it not just endure it.  

Edited by helitim

16 hours ago, teejayevans said:

Most like Spruce don't have community hangars, so if not on the runway, then you have to tie down.

This is partially correct.  Most don't have community hangars but there are a few hundred homes on the taxi ways at Spruce that do have hangars where you can park at home versus tying down.  You are not specifically limited to a runway lot if you can tolerate the taxi.

23 hours ago, Hank said:

http://www.zillow.com/homedetails/3481-Bill-Gardner-Pkwy-Locust-Grove-GA-30248/14912889_zpid/

• Like 1

23 hours ago, Hank said:

Hank, it's only 20 min flight from 5ga2 to Auburn.  There is a house with hanger for sale. Lee

http://www.zillow.com/homedetails/900-Trade-Winds-Rd-Carrollton-GA-30116/69954820_zpid/

32 minutes ago, Mooneymite said:

Looks nice, Gus, but commuting over here would be pricey in the Mooney and take forever when the weather is bad . . . And the price really isn't too bad. Looks like the place you drove us past with the Bo for sale.

Isn't it time to do lunch again?

5 hours ago, helitim said:

Most people no longer owe 30 years on their mortgage.  I would suspect the average Mooney owner owes a lot less than other groups of people.  My question is if the above really reflects the amount you could expect to spend on your own hangar to break even?

I have maybe 10 years left... but If I was to buy into an airpark, I'd consider 30 years on the new purchase, then pay it off quicker.

The whole point of my comment was that when living on airpark, while its typically pricier to live there with regards to land costs, you have the cost benefit of being able to keep your plane on your property without having to rent a hangar miles away at whatever the going rate may be.

In my neck of the woods a turf private strip has a wait list for $250/mo, a bare bones private paved airport has Thangars waitlisted for $350 a month, or community hangar waitlisted for $300/mo, and you go to bigger more substantial fields and the price of poker gets $$$. I think the FBO's at Hobby will be glad to let you park your GA plane inside for $1000/mo. $300 a month extra on the house note, not budgeted for hangaring a plane, gets me another 50K in mortgage space... for either building a hangar (not a Taj Mahal) or buying a place with the hangar already on it. 

For some airplane owners, budget might be no object. For me, I'm looking at the math at how I can make airplane ownership more affordable. Being able to keep it at home is one way for me to do that. I've got a job that's portable, and a wife who's job is portable, so I'm open to relocating, and have looked at several of the airparks listed here in the past. Sadly for me, too many of them are too far of a commute away from the sort of jobs I would be able to find... near major medical centers. 

18 hours ago, Hank said:

Looks nice, Gus, but commuting over here would be pricey in the Mooney and take forever when the weather is bad . . . And the price really isn't too bad. Looks like the place you drove us past with the Bo for sale.

Isn't it time to do lunch again?

Yes.  That's the house.  The owner has moved and is eager to sell.

It is time for another lunch, if we can ever get Rob to squeeze us into his busy schedule! Getting him to lunch is like pulling teeth!  :lol:

On 8/28/2016 at 5:26 PM, Piloto said:

Something to consider is buying a home at an airpark. Most of them have a hangar and nice grounds.

José

If you own both the land and the hangar, you have some hope of recouping the total cost of hangaring if/when you sell.  Owning the hangar may actually turn out cheaper than out door tie-downs.  When you add in the protection you afford your aircraft over the years of ownership, owning a hangar becomes very attractive.

• Like 1

23 hours ago, Hank said: I've drooled over air parks, but have yet to see one where the housing requirements would qualify as "downsizing." Or "affordable" either, even without including the hangar . . .

http://www.zillow.com/homedetails/3481-Bill-Gardner-Pkwy-Locust-Grove-GA-30248/14912889_zpid/

Gus -- is that more like a "planeport" than a hangar right? It doesn't look the side where the tail is at closes.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

21 minutes ago, Marauder said:

Gus -- is that more like a "planeport" than a hangar right? It doesn't look the side where the tail is at closes.

Yes.  That is correct.  It is both a hangar and a garage, but completely open on one side.  The original plan was for a stand alone hangar to be added along the taxiway, but the owner was satisfied with the plane port and never got around to building the stand alone hangar.

Did I mention that prospective buyers have to be able to sing all 60 verses of "Dixie" from memory?  They think that will keep both Yankees and memory deficient old-timers out.  :lol:

Edited by Mooneymite

3 minutes ago, Marauder said: Gus -- is that more like a "planeport" than a hangar right? It doesn't look the side where the tail is at closes.

Yes.  That is correct.  It is both a hangar and a garage, but completely open on one side.  The original plan was for a stand along hangar to be added along the taxiway, but the owner was satisfied with the plane port and never got around to building the stand alone hangar.

Did I mention that prospective buyers have to be able to sing all 60 verses of "Dixie" from memory?  They think that will keep both Yankees and memory deficient old-timers out.  :lol:

Yee Haw! Can't wait to have me some grits and collared greens!

3 minutes ago, Marauder said:

Yee Haw! Can't wait to have me some grits and collared greens!

emoji38.png

Well, at least you said, "some grits".  When a fellow says he's going to have "a grit", we know we got a live one.  <_<

Chris, you get a pass since your dog drinks beer.

Edited by Mooneymite
  • Like 2