have you purchased a hangar recently?

Guest Mike261

Guest Mike261

I am trying to buy a hangar. Typical dried up airport that many of us fly out of. Not a horrible place, but not vibrant either. 

There are plenty available right now, but the prices seem high. Im looking to get a gauge on pricing at airports that are 20 or so miles outside of metro areas.

thanks,

mike

Typical T hangar lease terms are month-to-month.  I've owned several and all were month-to-month.  

In theory the airport can give you 30 days notice to get your tin off their property.   Rarely happens.

In my observation:  Values on the smallest T hangars (40' and under) are declining in many places.  Higher quality and larger hangers big enough for corporate planes (King Air, Pilatus) are holding value or appreciating (wish I'd bought a large hangar at TEB in 1987)

Some places offer longer lease terms but usually for corporate size structures.  

The ground rent under your hangar is per square foot and at approximately same rate as a tie-down spot of the same size.

Frequently the lease requires you to pay tax on land upon which your hangar rests.  ("Net-Net")

I'm in negotiation now to build a box hangar at a public use airport owned by municipality.  Probably will turn out that they will get to approve the design, I'll get to pay everything associated with the construction; in exchange the airport will give me a 20 year ground rent lease.  At end of lease period they take ownership of hangar.  

I own a hanger at a small airport in CA.  My rent is per square foot, equal to the outside tie down rate. I have a ten year lease, that renews with some changes every ten years.  the County can have me move the hanger to another location, at there expense, or by me out, under conditions. I don't see either happening with my location, some others could be at risk though, but since the airport is doing very little growing, doubt it.

I paid $20,0000 for a 42' wide, 36' deep box hanger about 9+  years ago.  Maintenance is lubricating the doors occasionally and I will replace the white sun roof panels this year, they are probably 30 years old.   Ground lease is currently $63.90 and may go up yearly.   Property taxes are about $220.00 a year.

Current rent for county hangers is about $185.00 a month for a T hanger, plus property taxes.

Ron

Rusty, leaky T "Port-a-Port" hangars sell for about $20,000 out where I am. But Ryron, C83 is over 50 miles from San Francisco, or San Jose. I thought about buying one as the idea of "owning" my own hangar appeals to me, but it just makes no sense. Same deal as described above. Month to month, I pay all the taxes.

I rent a very nice hangar from the county that is far superior for $262 a month. Hangars aren't that hard to come by here. Wait a few months and one will open up, so prices stay lower.

At Kilg, Wilmington De, our ground leases are either 10 or 20 years, we had ours changed from 10 to 20 about 4 yrs ago. The airport authority estimates the FMV of the ground rent every 10 years though. The newer hangers go for $30,000 to $50,000. The older t hangers without electric doors go for about $20,000,' Our monthly lease per hanger is around $75.00.

• Like 1

16 hours ago, laytonl said:

Jose is correct about moving to an air park.  I'm building 50x50 hanger now at my house at 5ga2 near Atlanta Ga.  Lee

image.jpeg

That retaining wall looks like an unfortunate necessity. I would probably hit a wingtip on something like that while trying to turn the plane around. 

Gents...

Are you building a collection of aircraft to fit inside?

with such a nice amount of free space,  something is going to want to fill the void.  

Nature abhors a vacuum - Aristotle

Today was the first day I ever heard a positive note from my financial administrator regarding the purchase of a hangar with an attached house.  I've got six more years before the kids are out of college.  I've got time...

Thanks for sharing...

Best regards,

-a-

• Like 1

Since these are not T-Hangar you can taxi in your plane into the hangar. If the hangar ramp has a down incline you can taxi back the plane while you steer from the inside. Once out close the hangar door with your remote control. A rear view camera will help with the steering. Who needs a tow bar with this arrangement or even having sciatica.

José

Edited by Piloto
  • Like 1

54 minutes ago, Hyett6420 said:

Or even better have one's staff bring the aircraft out for you, turned facing the correct way with one's bags packed correctly in the hold.  

That is definitely the way to go.  At my place the FBO staff brings the planes in and out and has them out front ready to go.  And when you taxi in, your car is already on and waiting beside where you are marshaled into.  But you do pay for it.  Monthly rent is a little over $400.   They do a great job taking care of the planes.  And an Acclaim is a heavy beast to push around by yourself.  

Brad

• Like 1

54 minutes ago, Hyett6420 said: Or even better have one's staff bring the aircraft out for you, turned facing the correct way with one's bags packed correctly in the hold.  

That is definitely the way to go.  At my place the FBO staff brings the planes in and out and has them out front ready to go.  And when you taxi in, your car is already on and waiting beside where you are marshaled into.  But you do pay for it.  Monthly rent is a little over $400.   They do a great job taking care of the planes.  And an Acclaim is a heavy beast to push around by yourself.  

Brad

Not convenient if you want to leave after hours.

I used to share a 50 x 50. The owner kept his Champ, bass boat and a motorcycle or two inside. And his old side-by-side refrigerator, wheelbarrow, a couple of bikes and some cabinets. Lots of space to fill up if you've only got one plane. (Biplane anyone? They're pretty small, short wings, etc. ) (me! me!   if only . . . )

Edited by Hank
  • Like 1

A few years ago we built 6 2000' bays in 2 buildings. We fit the 400, Turbo twin and RV 4 and have room for another lift for the Mite when it's done.  Building higher is cheaper than adding area.

Clarence

image.jpg