Stratus problem

There is a place in the stratux menu to put in the hex code of your plane transponder.   when wifi connected to the stratux  type in 192.168.10.1  on your web browser

That should bring up the stratux menu

On the config page you should see a place to put in your hex code which you get from flightaware and looking up your plane.

I am knee deep in u-blox 7 GPS command line.    This was the USB GPS stratux suggested before going to the chip.   Have not tried it with stratux proper since the samsung devices have their own GPS.

Just now, Raptor05121 said:

Only works if you have a Mode S transponder

ummm no.   The ADSB ground station collect Mode C information and then re transmit the Mode C planes along with the other ADSB Mode S planes that are flying around.  At least our towers here in Texas are configured that way.

And stratux is just ADSB in so you could filter out any plane you want by using their hex code. 

1 hour ago, Yetti said:

ummm no.   The ADSB ground station collect Mode C information and then re transmit the Mode C planes along with the other ADSB Mode S planes that are flying around.  At least our towers here in Texas are configured that way.

And stratux is just ADSB in so you could filter out any plane you want by using their hex code. 

This. 

How is a Mode C transponder giving out Mode-S digital information? Because I've had this same problem and the filter did not work. I proposed this same question to one of the programmers of Stratux and this is the reply I got:

Me: Why won't the standard method of logging into Stratux and inputting the users aircraft transponder Hex-code into the filter work?

Him: It does not work with a standard Mode C transponder - No ADSB out. This only works if you are transmitting your assigned Mode S address. If you don't have Mode S the system does not know your Mode S address and Stratux doesn't have an uplinked address to match. ATC does not automatically match up your tail number to your Mode S address and uplink the Mode S address. Also if you are transmitting a random / anonymous Mode S address, Stratux won't be able to match that you to your assigned Mode S address either.

----------------

If I'm reading that wrong, let me know, because the ghosting thing is annoying as hell. I get it everytime I fly.

Are you using Stratux?  if so add your hex code to the filter in stratux configuration

https://www.aopa.org/training-and-safety/pic-archive/equipment/transponder-requirements

ATC system is using the hex code to track your transponder in mode C.  ATC does not have the conversion to the N number.  For fun read how they got a 747 (airforce 1) into Iraq disguised as a citation jet.

The ATC system take ground radar information along with mode C Altitude and hex code and combines it with speed and direction of travel off the Radar ground station and retransmits it through ADSB

Just now, Yetti said:

Are you using Stratux?  if so add your hex code to the filter in stratux configuration

https://www.aopa.org/training-and-safety/pic-archive/equipment/transponder-requirements

ATC system is using the hex code to track your transponder in mode C.  ATC does not have the conversion to the N number.  For fun read how they got a 747 (airforce 1) into Iraq disguised as a citation jet.

The ATC system take ground radar information along with mode C Altitude and hex code and combines it with speed and direction of travel off the Radar ground station and retransmits it through ADSB

Except that a standard Mode A/C transponder doesn't transmit the hex code, like Raptor said.

• Like 1

I have not had this ghosting issue beyond a few seconds.  I had assumed that Foreflight filtered out traffic at my location, bearing and altitude.  Are you guys with the ghosting using Foreflight?  I agree with the others, with a mode a/c transponder ATC does not know your N number converted hex code.

4 hours ago, Yetti said:

Hmmm I was under the impression that the hex code was part of Mode C.  It appears that it is not.  I wonder why I don't see my shadow.  May need to fly higher

Are you using Foreflight?  If you see other traffic and not yourself, I think it is being filtered.  

From Foreflight user guide:

"If your aircraft is not equipped with ADS-B 
“Out” but you fly within range of the traffic “puck” 
around another aircraft that is equipped with ADS-
B “Out”, you may see a false target representing 
your aircraft, and a visual traffic alert may also be displayed."

in general, I believe this confirms my theory that is self filters...

I dug out my Dual GPS, charged its battery, paired it up with my IPad and took it for a drive in the car. As long as it was moving, it geo-locates the little blue plane. I presume it will work as well in the plane.

One of the downsides of the Dual is that if you run aircraft power to it (I hate having to worry about keeping batteries charged), it comes on with the master switch, but it won't turn off automatically when the power is removed. That means I have to keep it within reach so I can turn it off. (I have the Stratux back on the hat-rack.)  I also hate having extraneous things on the glare-shield. I'm toying with the idea of getting a VK 172 for the Stratux. I assume it will not have any trouble picking up the GPS signal from the hat-rack area. Opinions?

GPS antennae are best when looking at the sky.

Ground based antennae are Best with a minimum amount of metal around them.

In other words, the hat shelf may be a tough spot if you can't bring the antennae a bit forwards into view.

PP thoughts.

Best regards,

-a-

• Like 1

The VK 172  is actually u-blox7 made by u-blox.  manuals are online

I have one plugged to a raspberry PI inside the house about 9 feet from the window that has a lock on satellites.   So it should be good.  you can get a 3 foot usb extender cable that should help move it away from the hat rack.

They take a good time to warm up.... like 30 minutes.  Then they acquire pretty fast.

Noticed that my charging on Stratus 2 is getting a little wonky.  I need to add a "splint" or buttress under the charging wire to get it to charge.  USB-C is an inherently bad design- had the same thing happen on a Samsung phone in the past.  Seems to be a conflict between the size and durability of the port / solders with the heaviness of the cord.  Creates a torque moment that damages the components. 

Any advice on how to proceed? 

I was seriously considering an ESG for ADS-B, but am now having doubts about the hardware durability...

I was having an issue with the USB power port on a raspberry PI.   I ever so slightly squeezed the top and bottom and it seems to tighten it up.   I have also noticed that Samsung and other quality cables do better than the generic ones. 

In other news I have the sense hat Pitch and yaw talking to digital canvas gauges.  Next up is to have them talk to a Attitude Indicator

On ‎10‎/‎24‎/‎2016 at 7:40 AM, Yetti said:

There is a place in the stratux menu to put in the hex code of your plane transponder.   when wifi connected to the stratux  type in 192.168.10.1  on your web browser

That should bring up the stratux menu

On the config page you should see a place to put in your hex code which you get from flightaware and looking up your plane.

Yetti,

Pardon my ignorance. I don't have airborne internet capability. Do I need to bring my Stratux home within range of my computer? Then how do it connect it to my computer?

I found my mode S code on flightaware.

Thanks 

Just now, DonMuncy said:

Yetti,

Pardon my ignorance. I don't have airborne internet capability. Do I need to bring my Stratux home within range of my computer? Then how do it connect it to my computer?

I found my mode S code on flightaware.

Thanks 

While you have your iPad connected to your Stratux, open the Safari browser (on your iPad) and enter the address that Yetti provided. 

That was the easy part.... if you want to upgrade the stratux memory card... that takes some Olympic type maneuvers.

The right three gauges have the roll, pitch, yaw of the Raspberry PI Sense hat. The middle left has the compass on it.

Trying to get the rest of the gauges working.

Hey the clock works.

Thanks a lot. (It is hell being ignorant)

Hey! Look at the bright side! I spent 30 minutes with my mother-in-law trying to explain to her that you use the power button on her first PC to turn it on and the "shut down" feature to turn it off.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
  • Like 2

7 minutes ago, Marauder said:

Hey! Look at the bright side! I spent 30 minutes with my mother-in-law trying to explain to her that you use the power button on her first PC to turn it on and the "shut down" feature to turn it off.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Jee she's one of the smarter one's