Stratus problem

2 hours ago, Marauder said:

Hey! Look at the bright side! I spent 30 minutes with my mother-in-law trying to explain to her that you use the power button on her first PC to turn it on and the "shut down" feature to turn it off.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I'm with her. Seems like a bunch as smart as the computer guys could design a system where it would shut down and turn off when you push the power button again. Probably my ignorance talking again.

• Like 3

I'm with her. Seems like a bunch as smart as the computer guys could design a system where it would shut down and turn off when you push the power button again.

There is a setting to have the computer do just that! Not sure where it is. Probably in, "power options."

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

1 hour ago, Guitarmaster said:

There is a setting to have the computer do just that! Not sure where it is. Probably in, "power options."

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

Well I'll be darned. It does exactly that. Thanks.

Now  marauder will have to spend more time programming his mother-in law's machine to do that. (Or if he is smart, he may well leave well enough alone and not say anything. :) )

• Like 1

• 1 month later...
On ‎10‎/‎25‎/‎2016 at 9:54 PM, Yetti said:

The VK 172  is actually u-blox7 made by u-blox.  manuals are online

I have one plugged to a raspberry PI inside the house about 9 feet from the window that has a lock on satellites.   So it should be good.  you can get a 3 foot usb extender cable that should help move it away from the hat rack.

They take a good time to warm up.... like 30 minutes.  Then they acquire pretty fast.

Yetti,

I got a VK 172 and finally got around to plugging it into a USB port on the Stratux. I flew today and I am not showing on the map. Any idea what my problem is.

Thanks in advance.

Don

24 minutes ago, DonMuncy said:

Yetti,

I got a VK 172 and finally got around to plugging it into a USB port on the Stratux. I flew today and I am not showing on the map. Any idea what my problem is.

Thanks in advance.

Don

start with the simple stuff, go to 192.168.10.1 and check on the settings page, make sure that GPS is ticked ON.

as the GPS doesn't have ephemeris data the first lock can take quite some time, I'm sure you gave it plenty though?

edit:You asked on the second page I noticed, so I'll give more detail just to be safe. Open your ipad or whatever device you use, make sure the stratux is on and you're connected to the STRATUX wifi, not your home. Open the browser (safari if ipad) and type in 192.168.10.1 and it should load the settings page, along the left there should be a few "menus" click on something like settings, look that GPS is on. You'll have settings for the 1090 and 978 receivers, and also GPS.

Edited by peevee

Thanks Peevee,

I am not certain I had it turned on long enough. I will try it again. I will also check on Safari to see if I can figure out if it is connected. It may take a few days. Dallas is experiencing a cold wave that us Texans can't imagine.

I sure do appreciate the help.

18 minutes ago, DonMuncy said:

Thanks Peevee,

I am not certain I had it turned on long enough. I will try it again. I will also check on Safari to see if I can figure out if it is connected. It may take a few days. Dallas is experiencing a cold wave that us Texans can't imagine.

I sure do appreciate the help.

You shouldn't need to go fly, you should get a GPS lock in your house as long as you're not in a basement or anything funky. Just plug her in to whatever power source you've got and give her hell.

Edited by peevee

1 minute ago, peevee said:

You shouldn't need to go fly, you should get a GPS lock in your house as long as you're not in a basement or anything funky.

But the VK 172 is still plugged into the Stratux in the plane. Doesn't it require power to transmit to the IPad. Can I just plug it into a USB port on my computer, make sure I am near a window, etc. and then do the checking.

• Like 1

Yeah, you probably can, you would need something to see that it's getting GPS data. I'm sure there are apps and drivers out there but I think it'll just muddy the water. I figured you had the stratux with you, sorry. 

I guess by "it"  I assume you mean the gps and not the stratux. The raspberry pi needs more power than your pc port likely provides. 

Edited by peevee

Funny, I just got my VK 172 in the mail on Wednesday. I left it running since Wednesday evening with no fix on the GPS. Power cycled it this evening after reading this post and got a 5 satellite fix right away.  Not sure what suddenly made it happy, but restarting it seemed to help.

Now just need the snow and icing to go way so I can go and fly to pick up some traffic and weather radio. I pick up none of this on the ground.

17 minutes ago, milotron said:

Funny, I just got my VK 172 in the mail on Wednesday. I left it running since Wednesday evening with no fix on the GPS. Power cycled it this evening after reading this post and got a 5 satellite fix right away.  Not sure what suddenly made it happy, but restarting it seemed to help.

Now just need the snow and icing to go way so I can go and fly to pick up some traffic and weather radio. I pick up none of this on the ground.

Good to know.

2 hours ago, DonMuncy said:

Yes, I meant the GPS. I will run out to the airport and bring the Stratux and GPS and see what I can figure out at home.

Good luck. Headed out of the country but I'll check in to see your progress! 

I built the first iteration stratux with the long receivers and crappy metal antenna. I just rebuilt mine with the low power receivers and a new case with high gain antennas. Can't wait to test it in the air. 

Um no you probably can't just plug the GPS into the Ipad.  You need something to parse the serial data from the GPS and then shove that to the map.  There is programming in Stratux to do that.   Also on Android, the program I use asks to use internal GPS or the stratux GPS.  So that may be something to check.

But first use the stratux config page and see if the GPS is recognized/turned on.  And yes it may take awhile to get a lock.  Up to 30 minutes depending on the view of the sky etc.

You have been led in a good direction by peevee.   And if you want to know more about decoding the String of serial data from a GPS you can ask.  I figured that part out.

Something to consider- the VK-172 is kind of a bad GPS antenna.  It picks up interference from the onboard wifi in the raspberry.  Most Stratux owners (myself included) go with the 162, since you can mount it away from the stratux and closer to a window.  I put mine under the glare shield- and it has no problems getting reception there.

if you check the stratux reddit page, some owners have posted DIY guides to building a shield for the 172, so it will work better with the stratux.  They look pretty simple to build- you might need to go down that road....

Well, I think I have it going. I brought the Stratux and VK-172 home, and hooked it up, inside and on the patio. Eventually it picked up signals and seems to be working OK sitting 5 feet from a window. One of the problems I seemed to have was confusing my IPad with the WiFi signal from my home system and the Stratux.

However, the depth of my ignorance is pretty extreme, so I may be back whining for more help.

Thanks to everyone who has contributed.

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, DonMuncy said:

Thanks to everyone who has contributed.

Almost every time I search for something I'd like an answer on I find a useful answer from you. So whine away. I'm sure all of us are happy to help someone we otherwise couldn't. 

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

I finally got around to checking out my Stratux (assembled kit with a GPS dongle). Seems to work fine. I was by myself and couldn't play with it as much as I wanted. I have it velcroed in the hat rack. I think it is going to be OK, but I still need to see if the mounting location is going to block some/any/too many signals. 

Guest Mike261
On 8/26/2016 at 11:06 PM, DonMuncy said:

My Stratus died. The plug-in for the charger broke off the circuit board. It has about 6 teeny connectors that are far too small for me to solder onto. The battery in the unit has a black, a yellow and a red wire to it, and if one were smart enough, I suppose he could figure out how to tie a charger into them and make it work; but that is not me.

In any event, it appears the unit would work, but I have no way to charge it.

I have a GDL88 feeding weather and traffic into my Garmin 430, but I would really like that info on my IPad via Foreflight. Does anyone know of a way to talk the GDL 88 into communicating with the IPad. Has anyone assembled and used a Stratux. I am far from the world's most astute computer person, and I wonder how difficult they are to build, program, etc., and how they work.

The CB in me just can't bring myself to spend the money for another Stratus, nor pay for a subscription to get that information in the air.

Any ideas.

Don

same thing happened to mine. the external antenna jack is loose too, this is what ct oaused the issues i mentioned in an earlier thread. i have had the unit for just over a year...its not well made, and I'm completely dissapointed for the money i spent.

mike

The hard wiring of the stratus box as the ads-b in solution for the appareo esg transponder seems really questionable given the poor quality of the hardware. I have a Stratus 2 and the USB charger port is starting to become loose and intermittent. :-(

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

If you can get a remote antenna, it could make some sense.  Some time ago, I bought a remote for my SkyRadar.  Just the antenna sits up on the glare shield near the pilot side. It seems to work since I haven't experimented with placement at all.

the original antenna unscrews, the remote, attached to a long wire screws on in its place.

Best regards,

-a-

The hard wiring of the stratus box as the ads-b in solution for the appareo esg transponder seems really questionable given the poor quality of the hardware. I have a Stratus 2 and the USB charger port is starting to become loose and intermittent. :-(

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I would think once it is hard wired reliability of the connection should be pretty good. The USB port is failing due to repeated connections to charge? I've had my Stratus 2 since it came out and my only failure has been the battery a few months ago (Sporty's replaced the battery no charge)

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

19 hours ago, DonMuncy said:

I finally got around to checking out my Stratux (assembled kit with a GPS dongle). Seems to work fine. I was by myself and couldn't play with it as much as I wanted. I have it velcroed in the hat rack. I think it is going to be OK, but I still need to see if the mounting location is going to block some/any/too many signals. 

Don-

Did you run a long USB cord back there or is there a 12v plug in the back somewhere? I'm weighing my options to "install" ours back there but a long USB cable I fear might lose too much power.

My hangar elf extended a wire from the cabin light back to the hat rack. If you opt for that method, be careful, as the cabin light is independent from the master. My elf had previously designed and installed a timer in that circuit, so now when I power up the master, the Stratux comes on, and goes off about 10 to 12 minutes after shutdown.