New Mooney!

kelty

Kevin and Bob, thanks for the input.  I think the first upgrade is going to be a GTX345.  Will that display on the 430?  I also want to upgrade the audio panel.  I'm taking people up sight seeing over San Fran this weekend, and just going to have to yell at them, so that update is a priority for sure.  Is the Garmin the recommended route, or are there better options?

I am comtemplating upgrading my PS Engineering 8000BT to the new 450A. If I do this, I will be selling the 8000 BT with a new tray (the 450A is a direct slide-in replacement). Let me know if you have an interest. The unit is 3 years old.

5ed5f2696c57831063c156c26c5dbe30.jpg

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

2 hours ago, markejackson02 said:

FWIW, I have a 1977 J and the cylinder temps behave exactly the same.  Part of it is being South Texas but I just cruise with the cowl flaps open and CHT seldom get above 375.  I can close them at higher altitudes but near the ground with 110 degree temps the CHT will get to 425 in a hurry.

I noticed that the later model J's have a cowl flap on the left that has the same bulge as the right.  Probably helps with cooling with cowl flaps closed.

Ok that makes a lot of since.  It is hot here too in central CA.  I was hoping to keep the cowl flaps closed for a decrease in drag, but a cooler engine is much better.

Just now, Marauder said:

I am comtemplating upgrading my PS Engineering 8000BT to the new 450A. If I do this, I will be selling the 8000 BT with a new tray (the 450A is a direct slide-in replacement). Let me know if you have an interest. The unit is 3 years old.

5ed5f2696c57831063c156c26c5dbe30.jpg

Definitely interested.  Please let me know.

I just looked at your panel pictures a little more closely. The DME and ADF definitely have market value. I would consider selling those to help fund some of the other upgrades. Before I would put any money into the panel for additions, I just would make sure to deal with all of the squaks that you will begin finding (like the fuel pressure being stuck). There will be others. Just the nature of owning a plane.

• Like 1

Congrats on the new plane. When it comes to a panel upgrade the sky is the limit. What is your budget? That will help with the recommendations. I agree with Hyett; one of the first things i would do is upgrade to an Aspen PFD and lose the ADF. After that it's a matter of what's most important to you (GPS, AP, engine monitor, cosmetic upgrades). As far as the transponder, I just installed the Garmin GTX345 and highly recommend it. Having weather and traffic displayed on my panel is really nice. Here's a shot of my panel before and after.panelJan2016.JPG

panel.jpg

Nice mystery photo. I am guessing you are taxiing at 18 kts ground speed since there is no airspeed on the Aspen (doesn't start to register until 20 KIAS). Your Sandia however is reporting 23 KIAS.

You are correct. In this photo I just had the 830 and Sandia installed (and vac system removed). I was literally taxiing from the shop. The 345 went in about a month ago. Now I'm DONE with upgrades.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Like 2

Congrats on the new plane. When it comes to a panel upgrade the sky is the limit. What is your budget? That will help with the recommendations. I agree with Hyett; one of the first things i would do is upgrade to an Aspen PFD and lose the ADF. After that it's a matter of what's most important to you (GPS, AP, engine monitor, cosmetic upgrades). As far as the transponder, I just installed the Garmin GTX345 and highly recommend it. Having weather and traffic displayed on my panel is really nice. Here's a shot of my panel before and after.panelJan2016.JPGpanel.jpg

Nice mystery photo. I am guessing you are taxiing at 18 kts ground speed since there is no airspeed on the Aspen (doesn't start to register until 20 KIAS). Your Sandia however is reporting 23 KIAS.

You are correct. In this photo I just had the 830 and Sandia installed (and vac system removed). I was literally taxiing from the shop. The 345 went in about a month ago. Now I'm DONE with upgrades.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Done with upgrades.... Bahahaha!!!

• Like 5

19 hours ago, kelty said:

Kevin and Bob, thanks for the input.  I think the first upgrade is going to be a GTX345.  Will that display on the 430?  I also want to upgrade the audio panel.  I'm taking people up sight seeing over San Fran this weekend, and just going to have to yell at them, so that update is a priority for sure.  Is the Garmin the recommended route, or are there better options?

Kelty.  There are lots of options.  We went with the GTX345 and I've been happy with it.  There are cheaper ways to get ADS-B OUT, but we wanted OUT and IN.  There are also other ways to get OUT and IN.  Many have installed the L3 system and been happy.

While the GTX345 will display traffic and some weather on the 430 (we have a GTN650), I don't use it much.  What I do instead is use Garmin Pilot on my tablet.  I typically use a split screen with a moving map sectional on top and the traffic display on the bottom.  With the touch of a button I can switch to weather and NOTAMS on the bottom.

Kelty I'd wait at least an annual or two before diving into wants vs must haves for panel upgrades.  Made sure the plane is mechanically up to par and then you'll understand the upgrade vs fix budget a bit better.  

Re cooling get a piggyback CHT probe instead of the spark plug washer.  Ham fisted techs will have a tendency to ruin the washer anyway.  Piggyback keeps the required bayonet probe for the OEM gauge.

Adjust your cowl flaps so they trail 1/4-1/2 inch when closed.  There is some data on older threads to the effect that this maximizes cooling flow and minimizes induction drag.  

Inspect your cowling baffles for leaks (i.e. Daylight or a flashlight shines through).  This is a common cause of CHT issues.   Make sure that the engine baffles aren't cracked.  Consider inserting a piece of 1/8" silicone " square"between the aft engine baffle and the #3 cylinder fins to tent this area open and keep the baffle off the fins. This will divert air flow to this area.  

If you ditch the ADF you'll get rid of a draggy antenna... But the ADF antenna footprint is just about the same size as a strike finder antenna.  One of the first things I'd consider in the budget for upgrades is a WX-500 or equivalent.  Gives your plane more capability if you are going to be using it for long cross countries.  You already have a decent autopilot that sounds like  needs some attention.  

Looking at your pictures your factory EGT probe has been removed.  That's okay if you have a 900/930 but it should still be there if you have a 700.  

Welcome to plane ownership.  It's quite a trip!  

Brad

ps I chose almost the exact same scheme in my new retro paint job.   

image.jpeg

Just now, bradp said:

Kelty I'd wait at least an annual or two before diving into wants vs must haves for panel upgrades.  Made sure the plane is mechanically up to par and then you'll understand the upgrade vs fix budget a bit better.  

Re cooling get a piggyback CHT probe instead of the spark plug washer.  Ham fisted techs will have a tendency to ruin the washer anyway.  Piggyback keeps the required bayonet probe for the OEM gauge.

Adjust your cowl flaps so they trail 1/4-1/2 inch when closed.  There is some data on older threads to the effect that this maximizes cooling flow and minimizes induction drag.  

Inspect your cowling baffles for leaks (i.e. Daylight or a flashlight shines through).  This is a common cause of CHT issues.   Make sure that the engine baffles aren't cracked.  Consider inserting a piece of 1/8" silicone " square"between the aft engine baffle and the #3 cylinder fins to tent this area open and keep the baffle off the fins. This will divert air flow to this area.  

If you ditch the ADF you'll get rid of a draggy antenna... But the ADF antenna footprint is just about the same size as a strike finder antenna.  One of the first things I'd consider in the budget for upgrades is a WX-500 or equivalent.  Gives your plane more capability if you are going to be using it for long cross countries.  You already have a decent autopilot that sounds like  needs some attention.  

Looking at your pictures your factory EGT probe has been removed.  That's okay if you have a 900/930 but it should still be there if you have a 700.  

Brad

image.jpeg

The Maintenance Manual allows for 1/4 inch maximum trail for the cowl flaps when closed.

18 minutes ago, bradp said:

Brad

image.jpeg

Brad,

I totally agree.  The annual was just done in April, but I'm going to have my mechanic go through everything with me, really to help me learn all the systems of the plane, but also to make sure that everything is up to speed.   It fun to dream though right?  

The first order of business is going to be figuring out the CHT.  

That is a great looking plane you have there.  

I have weather displayed on my GNS530 and it's not nearly as useful as weather on my iPad with ForeFlight and Stratus. The screen just isn't as good. And it's much better than the screen on your 430. I do appreciate the traffic on the 530, but I wouldn't spend any money to put weather on it.

• Like 1

On 8/24/2016 at 8:31 AM, Steve Dawson said:

+1 on changing to  jpi 900 also. It'll add room to your panel space when you remove the factory gauges. You can lower your century selector and install the 900 above it. I have a panel layout in a DXF file I can send your avionics people if you want to change things. 

Steve,

Any chance you can send me the DXF file?