Bestselling Book on Sale

Just wanted to remind you that my book is still for sale over at Amazon, Barnes and Noble, and Apple iBooks.

It looks like Amazon is running a special on it currently. $8.49!!!

It's received 5-stars so far, and has been a bestseller for some time in the Aviation category.

Thanks for the support!

Nate

https://www.amazon.com/Engine-Out-Survival-Tactics-Emergencies-ebook/dp/B01HTWFPQU/ref=pd_lutyp_simh_1_1?ie=UTF8&pd_rd_i=B01HTWFPQU&pd_rd_r=MZGV4PE91R30D6QWNJB6&pd_rd_w=61XMj&pd_rd_wg=rVDkj&psc=1&refRID=MZGV4PE91R30D6QWNJB6#nav-subnav

Edited by Buster1
  • Like 1

I just finished reading it yesterday.  Great read.  It was nice to compare my thought process to ones that were developed by a large flying governmental organization!

Buster,

Were going to need an update soon...  Have you seen the 'glide range rings'(?) in ForeFlight and other devices?  It would be great to get some practical advice on those as they develop.  It might only be helpful to making the decision of landing in this nice field here or try to make the airport over there...

I see a strong desire to go towards an airport and forgo a really nice close by field.  Getting stuck in the middle could be dreadful.

MS has had a couple of pilots make successful engine out landings at airports.

Being the amateur statistician that I am, I like to put the odds in my favor.   :)

Best regards,

-a-

-a-

Thank you for the kind words, and your support.

If you know of someone involved with FF or GP, programmable range rings (based on AGL alt) would be incredible. However, when the s^!t hits the fan, the fast techniques featured in the book, visualizations of the wire, and sight pictures developed with some training will not fail you. That's all we had in the F-16 and it works the same in any airplane.

However, that's a cool idea!

• Like 1

Some brilliant MSers were discussing the potential idea back in 2011...

Some actual gliding work by MSer CNOE...

A recent Pirep on the new Foreflight attribute.  Graphics are nicely integrated and would be really useable from 10k' AGL...

Then to the point of being prepared, this is one that arrived on MS today.  Success from 1k' AGL...

Buster, Your book is going to help somebody immensely.  Directly or indirectly, just the open discussion it generates.  :)

It's the first book I have been able to read in about five years...

Best regards,

-a-

• 1 month later...
  • 5 weeks later...
On 8/21/2016 at 11:01 PM, carusoam said:

......Have you seen the 'glide range rings'(?) in ForeFlight and other devices?  It would be great to get some practical advice on those as they develop....

At recent MAPA PPP my instructor and I practiced using a glide range marker aka "blue banana"on the G500. (Actually Garmin calls it the "range to altitude arc")

Sequence:

Instructor pulled engine to idle and said "engine out."

I went to best glide (a marker preset on airspeed tape at 90) and turned towards a nearby airport. 

I dialed in a quick estimate of local  ground level - about 800' MSL -- on the G500.

I adjusted airspeed to maximize distance shown by blue banana. Turned out that 80 knots was best given the slight tailwind. 

The blue banana was well beyond the airport so I was assured of reaching the field.

It's a powerful tool that would be a great help at a stressful moment. 

I will get some images or video to illustrate this.  

• Like 1

2 hours ago, chrisk said:

I learned a few things.   I think this weekend I will go find the gear down power setting that mimics gear up glide performance 

Chris,

That's awesome! Establishing a valid and realistic glide for training is important. At worst, idle, clean and prop back is also a great secondary way for us complex drivers to at least practice something and develop the sight picture.

Additionally, my Bonanza actually did better that the POH 1.7nm per 1,000 feet when clean, idle and prop back. It was cool to actually figure that out.

2 hours ago, Jerry 5TJ said:

At recent MAPA PPP my instructor and I practiced using a glide range marker aka "blue banana"on the G500. (Actually Garmin calls it the "range to altitude arc")

Sequence:

I went to best glide (a marker preset on airspeed tape at 90) and turned towards a nearby airport. 

I dialed in a quick estimate of local  ground level - about 800' MSL -- on the G500.

I adjusted airspeed to maximize distance shown by blue banana. Turned out that 80 knots was best given the slight tailwind. 

The blue banana was well beyond the airport so I was assured of reaching the field.

Jerry, 

Fantastic. Glad to hear you are working at it, and developing a currency or proficiency.

I will add that using my 'hand method' and visually finding 6 degrees depression from the horizon is far more valuable than any widget in a piece of technology. While that tool is valuable, it can fail. Additionally, the small patch of turf at your 7 o'clock and near the wingtip will not be presented in the iPad. If you want to know instantly if you can make it to that patch in a glide...hand method works every time. Did it in the F-16.

Thanks for the support. I think it's awesome you are working on engine outs!

39 minutes ago, Jerry 5TJ said:

We did the drill while in simulated IMC, in fact.  Spiraled down to airport and used Synthetic Vision as well to help line up on final at 400 AGL.  

VMC I'll try the 6 degree visualization soon, thanks.  

Now you've made me feel inadequate since I don't have synthetic vision!  I'll have to find an affordable way that works.  Maybe I'll put a call into the Aspen guys and see if it works with the PFD, or if it requires a second Aspen.

CK, syn vis available for an extra buck on WingX.  SFO experience in simulated IMC.... Priceless!   :)

The Garmin blue banana was described around here on their pilot app(iirc)

The tools just keep getting better and stronger.

SFO= Simulated flame out

Best regards,

-a-

2 hours ago, chrisk said:

Now you've made me feel inadequate since I don't have synthetic vision!  I'll have to find an affordable way that works.  Maybe I'll put a call into the Aspen guys and see if it works with the PFD, or if it requires a second Aspen.

No need to call, it works with the PFD. I have it. Nice.

6 minutes ago, carusoam said:

Eeeeash.... that's one of those unlock kind of expenses isn't it?

Best regards,

-a-

yea, but one heck of a lot of AMU's cheaper than the $VT on a G1000 or G500. Granted, the $VT on the G1000 is the gold $tandard. They are unlock$ also, just add a zero to the end and you are close. The AOA is an unlock also, but requires little  Avionics tech time., no flappy thingies added to the wing, no wiring to run. And when you order them all together, they make it "attractive", or at least Aspen did for me

• Like 1

On 8/21/2016 at 10:41 PM, Buster1 said:

Just wanted to remind you that my book is still for sale over at Amazon, Barnes and Noble, and Apple iBooks.

It looks like Amazon is running a special on it currently. $8.49!!!

It's received 5-stars so far, and has been a bestseller for some time in the Aviation category.

Thanks for the support!

Nate

https://www.amazon.com/Engine-Out-Survival-Tactics-Emergencies-ebook/dp/B01HTWFPQU/ref=pd_lutyp_simh_1_1?ie=UTF8&pd_rd_i=B01HTWFPQU&pd_rd_r=MZGV4PE91R30D6QWNJB6&pd_rd_w=61XMj&pd_rd_wg=rVDkj&psc=1&refRID=MZGV4PE91R30D6QWNJB6#nav-subnav

13 hours ago, Jerry 5TJ said:

Sequence:

Jerry who was your instructor, at a MAPA two yrs ago I think in Roanoke, my instructor did the same thing, gen we did a couple zero/. Zero landing using the SYN VIS, perfect

• Like 1

My G500 with SV is great. I'm glad the previous owner installed it.  

Garmin Pilot or ForeFlight also will provide a graphic assist to glide range at ~5% of that price.  Few excuses to do without remain.

Yes, if the engine quits, and the alternator fails (it works if the prop turns) and both batteries run flat and the iPad battery drains to zilch in IMC ...then I'm having a seriously bad day & it has been great knowing you guys. 

Until then I plan to use what resources are available--and they're plentiful. 

• Like 1