Battery minder use

Dood

since the retrofit my plane, power consumption has increased. As I only flights with a duration of one hour and a half is a bit limited for recharging the battery.
So I bought a battery charger, but this is not very practical to have to remove the access door to the battery each time.

How do you use yours?

I also bought a 3 pin jumper plug, but there is a problem of over and I'm afraid that if the battery minder shall also supply the solenoid, it no longer issued the necessary power for the battery, or I change the wiring of the plug from the airplane, but the administration will not like.

would you advice?

thanks

Cyrille

Capture d’écran 2016-08-20 à 12.35.21.pdf

Capture d’écran 2016-08-20 à 12.45.08 1.pdf

I have the same Battery Minder.  The ring terminal quick connector and temperature sensor connection for it will fit through the small gap between fuselage skin and access door for the three pin connector.    I zip tied them so they stay there.  I only need to flip open the small door for the three pin connector to connect the Battery Minder.

Bill

• Like 1

since the retrofit my plane, power consumption has increased. As I only flights with a duration of one hour and a half is a bit limited for recharging the battery.

So I bought a battery charger, but this is not very practical to have to remove the access door to the battery each time.

How do you use yours?

I also bought a 3 pin jumper plug, but there is a problem of over and I'm afraid that if the battery minder shall also supply the solenoid, it no longer issued the necessary power for the battery, or I change the wiring of the plug from the airplane, but the administration will not like.

would you advice?

thanks

Cyrille

Capture d’écran 2016-08-20 à 12.35.21.pdf

Capture d’écran 2016-08-20 à 12.45.08 1.pdf

This is the approved kit for certified airplanes (at least in the United States). It will work with your Concorde Battery Minder.

https://www.audioauthority.com/product_details/BM-AIK2

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

The recommended device for a Concorde battery is a credit card. Buying two, ask for a quantity discount. :P

Can't help you with an extra power outlet, I just have the panel-mounted cigar lighter that almost never gets used. Running wire from my firewall-mounted battery to the back of the plane would be a PITA, haven't checked into the options.

1 hour ago, wpbarnar said:

I have the same Battery Minder.  The ring terminal quick connector and temperature sensor connection for it will fit through the small gap between fuselage skin and access door for the three pin connector.    I zip tied them so they stay there.  I only need to flip open the small door for the three pin connector to connect the Battery Minder.

Bill

Ok I'll try this, but it seems to me that they're is not enough space on my plane.

On the other subject...

I gave up on the three prong plug and the smart charger...  Overcoming the safety solenoid requires 24v on my plane.  The smart charger, in it's infinitely limited logic, won't deliver voltage until it senses the polarity coming from the battery.  Two not-so-smart devices stuck in a battle of  wits...

Having a spare battery on the ground could work. But...

1) if you leave the extra battery connected, the smart charger is designed to charge one battery at a time.  So much for the logic of a smart battery charger matched to your battery.

2) if you disconnect the second battery after starting the charge, the battery gets filled up in a day. The charger turns off. The solenoid opens. And the battery sits idly by waiting to discharge, or you to go flying, or both...

Using the smart charger for Gil batteries, I thought it would help keep the batteries lasting longer. I get two years, and they easily show their lack of strength.  They get tossed one per year.  The new one is obviously stronger than the old one.

After a year, I'm favoring the newest one a lot... Looking forward to changing out a battery at annual...

there are costs to not flying often.  Batteries are one of those costs.

Things I've learned in the last few years...

Best regards,

-a-

When I bought my Acclaim, it had two battery minders located in the baggage area.  The are plugged into a power strip.  There is a long extension cord in the hanger where my plane usually sits.  The line guys know to just open the baggage door and plug it in when they put the plane away.  

I'm out of town currently.  I'll try to post a picture in the next couple of days when I return. 

I haven't had my plane for very long, so I can say how well this works   

Brad 

There is a different battery minder for gel batteries.

Wet batteries require maintenance, you need to add distilled water on occasion, especially if your regulator is set a little high. I'm betting most of Gill problems are partly owner induced.

Gels are far more resistant to higher charging voltages and don't need maintenance.

• Like 1

On 8/20/2016 at 10:04 PM, carusoam said:

Follow up question...

Is there a recommended device for a pair of Concorde gel cell batteries?

I've seen the light.  I've bought my last Gill for a long time...

Can I get an Amen?

Best regards,

-a-

Anthony,

Here's the right Batteryminder for the Concordes in your Ovation : http://www.aircraftspruce.com/catalog/elpages/batteryminder11-14352.php?clickkey=58037

It with come with one connector for a battery. You need one more of these for the second battery: http://www.batteryminders.com/ring-terminal-assembly-rta-2415

To hook up two batteries to the same Batteryminder get one of these: https://www.aircraftspruce.com/catalog/elpages/batteryminder11-12442.php

You may also need an extension to run it out to the Batteryminder through the external power door, https://www.aircraftspruce.com/catalog/elpages/batteryminder11-12443.php?recfer=6622

• Like 1